Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #1  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Default I am not hungry but oh, I want to eat!

I'm asking myself, what is it I really want? But all I come up with is it is entertaining to eat stuff, just the side effects really are awful.
I am feeling pretty content and happy, not bored or lonely. Not upset about much of anything, stress meter not pegged. Maybe not enough sleep? That could be. It's true.

What I've tried: talking to myself, thinking about what it would feel like to eat afterwards (not happy), brushed teeth.

Now I"m up against having to go to bed to avoid eating. I keep wishing food wouldn't keep being such a mental wrestling match.

I am free from food, I am no longer addicted to food. I am my own self-control
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/244/155

Height: 5'5"

There are days when I could slam back a box of IP bars - or a big mac and fries, or a pizza........ We all have food issues - if we didn't we wouldn't be here. It's like those people who say "oops, I forgot to eat all day" - you'd just like to shoot them, and frankly, if I looked good in an orange prison jumpsuit, I'd be sorely tempted.

Think back to your first two weeks on IP and how amazed you were that the weight dropped away. Look how far you've come - you're almost at 60% of your goal, and it's only been 9 weeks! Do you want to continue that feeling? hmmmm - thought so.

Then what can you do instead? Maybe just walk away from the fight. Do something to distract yourself, a book, a hobby, tv, anything to shut the little food addict (who is terrified you'll win and is fighting hard to survive) up for a while. Bed may be an alternative, and sometimes you may have to do just that.

In under 3 months, you've made an amazing transformation. It does get easier with time, think about how many years you ate anything and everything - don't expect too much of yourself by putting pressure on to wipe out all those years of conditioning in such a short time.

Last edited by Sherwood; 09-30-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: typo
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

Boy do I identify with this Purfect! Eating is just something I like to do and the foods taste so good! Good grief what a bad habit that is and still so hard to break. Evening is my worst time and brushing my teeth and going to bed is the same thing I do! I'll struggle this weekend because I'm going to be home and that's never good. I might have to leave the house just to keep myself from eating. I wonder if I'll struggle like this for the rest of my life? Or will it get easier, like when I quit smoking?

Great pep talk Sherwood. I want to print your words out and keep them close!
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Best advice I ever got from my coach when I was visiting my parents' house (carb central!) and on the verge of giving in and cheating: "Go in the bathroom and take a picture of your butt with your cell phone. Every time you think about cheating, look at your butt and think about why you're on this program."

As a pretty visual person, I didn't even have to take the picture...I just thought about what my butt looked like and how much better I would feel if I didn't eat what and when I wasn't supposed to. It still works.
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Lol about the butt picture! I'm afraid my arms aren't long enough...Evening is my worst time too. right now. My dh just left to go to the drugs store. the not so old me would have asked him to pick up some unmentionables - but not tonight. Dr. Phil calls it the "party in your mouth feeling." I'll try doing some sudokus or something. Good luck all you night time cravers - maybe morning or sleep will come before we know it.
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 162/140/142

Height: 5'7"

Not sure if you are one for working out, but I highly recommend the dvd "Fat Free Yoga" by Ana Brett and Ravi Singh. You can find it on Amazon for $15 and it's worth the investment. It's not your traditional yoga workout with impossibly uncomfortable moves and sequences, and basically if you can breathe you can do this. They have a couple of different breath techniques that are said to control compulsive behaviors, especially appetites. I love this DVD (and all there stuff) but the breath exercises on this one really helped get my compulsive habits (like having chips and soda for breakfast) under control. I can't recommend this DVD highly enough, it's wonderful. I was even able to go to a yoga class that they hosted a week ago and they are so nice in person. Good luck!
EmandAliMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandAliMommy View Post
Not sure if you are one for working out, but I highly recommend the dvd "Fat Free Yoga" by Ana Brett and Ravi Singh. You can find it on Amazon for $15 and it's worth the investment. It's not your traditional yoga workout with impossibly uncomfortable moves and sequences, and basically if you can breathe you can do this. They have a couple of different breath techniques that are said to control compulsive behaviors, especially appetites. I love this DVD (and all there stuff) but the breath exercises on this one really helped get my compulsive habits (like having chips and soda for breakfast) under control. I can't recommend this DVD highly enough, it's wonderful. I was even able to go to a yoga class that they hosted a week ago and they are so nice in person. Good luck!
Wow, this sounds really interesting. I will have to check it out!
sandyh50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #8  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

I am feeling very lucky that I haven't had many moments of wanting something to eat, but when I do, I have a cup of coffee. I've cut way back on the coffee I consume since starting this diet, but it's still something that soothes me and stops my cravings. Even if I've already had enough water to balance the extra coffee, I make myself drink 16 more ounces after that cup. By then, I'm stuffed and the cravings disappear, even if I was really wanting salty or cheesy or whatever...
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #9  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmandAliMommy View Post
Hi. This sounds interesting, and I like your endorsement. But there are more than one "Fat Free Yoga" DVDs, or at least there are in Germany, and they're $25 so I'd like to get the right one. Is this it? http://www.ongnamo-versand.de/dvd/yo...otal-tune.html
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/140/142

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Hi. This sounds interesting, and I like your endorsement. But there are more than one "Fat Free Yoga" DVDs, or at least there are in Germany, and they're $25 so I'd like to get the right one. Is this it? http://www.ongnamo-versand.de/dvd/yo...otal-tune.html
That's the same people, but a (slightly) different DVD. I don't have that one so I'm not sure if it has the same exercises. Here's the link to the one I mentioned, from that ongnamo site: http://www.ongnamo-versand.de/dvd/yo...-fat-free.html It looks like there is even a video clip of one of the self control breathing exercises.
I have a few of their DVDs, and "Fat Free Yoga" has a lot of great "kriyas" (sequences of repetitive movements and chants) that are meant for boosting energy and metabolism.
EmandAliMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'2

I am having that feeling too. I think its the weather change! Fall is here and its dark.
I put a piece of gum in today so I wouldn't nibble.
I always get the jar of pickles out so if I"m going to eat for no reason at least no calories!
Aacks is offline   Reply With Quote