Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #1  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Yahoo article

What are your thoughts on this article?
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/7-laws-leanness

(Posting from my phone, so I hope it works)

This bothered me a little. I think it was mostly the first "law" that states writing down calories/food intake is "stressful.". I don't know. I can think of many more stressful things than that!
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Most of this article is just common sense stuff I've heard before. With regards to the first "law," I've seen similar articles stating that keeping a food journal was one of the best predictors of weight loss. I think it all depends on what works for the individual. Some people find it stressful to focus on what they eat and they do better just eating intuitively. I have one such friend and as soon as she goes on a diet, she gains weight but if she just eats intuitively , she's of normal weight and looks great (although not according to her self-assessment). As for me, I'd rather keep a food journal and count calories than be 77 lbs. heavier, which I find a lot more stressful. Thanks for posting the article.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #3  

The problem with that article is that it's not taking into account something I've realized over the years: "Naturally" thin people (i.e., people who stay at a consistent weight without seeming to think about it too much) aren't as focused on food as most people I know who have had a weight problem for most or all of their adult life (me included). My husband is a naturally thin person, and he often forgets to eat lunch or just doesn't want lunch. Also, he's not a snacker, and it isn't because he is resisting snacks; he just doesn't want them. He enjoys food, but he doesn't understand the concept of eating something when you're full just because that something tastes good.

I think there is actually something in the brain that is different between me and people like my husband. Part of it is conditioning, too: Women, especially, are presented with unrealistic "ideal" body types, and the only way for a woman to achieve such a body is to watch food intake and exercise (and even then it's not achievable for many of us).

So, what's the author's alternative to dieting? He never says. To me, "dieting" as a temporary fix DOES make one gain weight. It's only by having a mindset change about what dieting means (changing your eating habits forever) that makes the difference.

As for the rest of his advice, I don't disagree with most of it (I skimmed), but parts are clearly exaggerated. I mean, the average woman does not burn 200 calories in 20 minutes of biking unless they are really going fast and furious.

Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by lin43; 09-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

I think I am wired differently. To me, it's partly environment and partly genetic (how I am wired). I eat sugar and it's like a drug. I feel calm after a piece of chocolate or a decadent dessert. Calm and happy. That is not normal. I am aware of it. And until I accept that I struggle with food and that having control over food doesn't come naturally to me, I think I'll fail every time. Someone on here has a quote that says "embrace the suck." That's what it is for me. It's that or be fat. They both suck, but for different reasons. It's the whole "choose your hard" concept.

Lin43 I have a girlfriend like your husband and I just don't know how these people exist in the world. I am very envious!!! I wish I didn't care about food. I agree 100% with you on that. It's the focus on food that has made me fat and and lack of focus that has kept people like my friend and your husband thin!

Last edited by christine123; 09-28-2011 at 07:41 PM.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You are all absolutely right. For people who struggle with weight, it doesn't make that much sense to emulate those who don't simply because we are clearly different. What comes naturally to them requires a great deal of effort for us (or at least for me). When it comes to the naturally thin, I just can't relate.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
. . . until I accept that I struggle with food and that having control over food doesn't come naturally to me, I think I'll fail every time
Absolutely! I think that one reason I have failed for years (i.e., regaining any weight I lost) is that I have an inner three-year old that would eventually rebel against all that I had to do to stay thin. My inner three-year-old would whine, "It isn't fair!! Why can't I eat like [fill in the blank with someone I know who seems to effortlessly stay thin]?!" Then, because of that perceived "injustice" in life, I would give in to the tantrum and eat to oblivion.

This time around, I believe I will be successful because I have finally accepted that I am the way I am, and I can either work with that or not. If I choose the latter, then I need to accept that I'll be fat. I'm unwilling to accept that, so I know that I'll have to work more than some (not even most) people, and right now, I'm okay with that.

What annoys me about that article is that it treats all people as generic, but we're all not wired the same.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #7  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I'm with you folks on this, those of us who are overweight have a different relationship to food than slim folks. And Lin, you are spot on when you say

"So, what's the author's alternative to dieting? He never says. To me, "dieting" as a temporary fix DOES make one gain weight. It's only by having a mindset change about what dieting means (changing your eating habits forever) that makes the difference."

For me I have a hard time with portion control if I don't count calories and track them. It's way more stressful to be fat than to keep track of what I'm eating - my food journal makes me feel good because I can see the progress I'm making and I'm proud of sticking to my plan.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote