Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default The new equality of white and brown rice

I'm normally on the 100lb. Club board but I've been on weightwatchers for a long time and I love it. I announced my pregnancy at WW the same week we went to PointsPlus so I haven't been able to play with the program until recently (the last three months). My BFF does weightwatchers as well AND had a baby at the same time as me (we're so lucky!) so we've been rediscovering the program together.

We noticed that on the points plus program there are a lot of new equalities. She used to insist on brown rice. I always insisted on high fiber whole wheat bread. The new app makes everything so much easier and we discovered --wait! It's two points for Whole Wheat bread and two points for white bread!

Obviously I am disturbed by this because I love the nutritional density of whole wheat bread. But I also get that some people detested brown rice and this gives more pleasure to eating. And i know I can choose the more nutritionally dense food.

I think I'm just surprised. Any thoughts?
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not on Weight Watchers, I'm on an exchange plan, but the same is true on my exchange plan for rice and bread. Whether it's brown or white, rice is 1 bread exchange for 1/3 cup cooked. Whether white or whole wheat, most breads are 1 bread serving for 1 ounce (1 slice) of bread.

It doesn't disturb me though, because I know they're not really equal.

New points, old points, exchanges, calories, fat grams - they're all like money. Just because two items cost the same amount, doesn't mean they're equally good bargains.

To use a bargain-hunting analogy - Say you need a book case and you have $50 to spend. You can buy a new, particle board book case from Walmart or Target, or you can shop garage sales and thrift stores and find a beautiful, hardwood bookcase for the same $50. Are you upset that there's no cost savings for buying the better bookcase, or do you pat yourself on the back for being such a shrewd bargain hunter?

Instead of being disturbed that the items cost the same, you can be gratified to know you're getting the best bargain by choosing the more nutritionally dense foods.

There are usually other benefits too. For example, I find the higher fiber more filling, and I feel better physically on the less refined carbohydrates. So even though white rice and brown rice cost the same, if I spend my exchanges on white rice, I'm hungry again sooner, which makes brown rice the better bargain.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-26-2011 at 01:48 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I know that one of the good health guidelines mentions to eat whole grains whenever possible. I simply go with that and buy brown rice/whole wheat breads, etc.

I tend to treat it as I used to on the old points plan when it came to choosing a piece of fruit or a 2 Point Snack. Sure... I could have the bag of chips, but I definitely know they're not equal and that the fruit is healthier for me.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #4  
Hap
next stop: fit & fabulous

S/C/G: 181.8/174.4/142

Height: 5'4"

Kaplods and lovely already gave you the best advice I think. I do wish that the points system did distinguish between good and bad carbs ( a pack of m&ms is the same as my black bean soup!) But I guess it shows that the GHG can be just as important as the points!

I also think I read somewhere that they aren't actually the same exact points if you used decimals but they round to the same point value.
Hap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

They may be the same points, but a slice of whole wheat bread is more filling (IMHO) than white bread, and I know it is better for me, so I'll chose wheat over white anytime.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #6  

Because something like white and brown rice are the same points, it doesn't make them equal in nutrition. White is still not the best choice. White rice has had the bran and therefore most of the fiber removed. It is no longer a whole grain and will cause your blood sugar to spike.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/tracker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Because something like white and brown rice are the same points, it doesn't make them equal in nutrition. White is still not the best choice. White rice has had the bran and therefore most of the fiber removed. It is no longer a whole grain and will cause your blood sugar to spike.
Well said.
FlygURL is offline   Reply With Quote