Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Default We are So Backwards as a Country!

It really astounds me how often people at work or in my family now comment on my eating habits.

I went out to dinner with my husband, my parents, and a mutual friend on Friday night. We went to PF Changs. PFC is family dining style, and so each plate (or at least the kung pao chicken I get) is 3 portions. I split the plate into three portions before I even begin eating, eat that and a bowl of brown rice, and I'm done.

Everyone at the table starts urging me to eat more! "Just eat it!" "Eat some more, that wasn't 1/3 of the plate!" My poor dad - who tries and fails to lose weight fairly often - said, "You can eat all you want of it! It's just chicken!" (News flash 3FCers: Apparently, chicken is calorie free! No matter how it's prepared! Eat up!)

Why do I say we're backwards as a country? I feel that the US is so accustomed to obesity at this point that being a healthy weight, eating healthy portion sizes is abnormal. No one ever said anything to me when I would wolf down all 3 portions and two bowls of brown rice at PFC previously.

Even after losing 43 pounds, it's hard for me to eat healthy portion sizes. Food sometimes is just so delicious that I continue eating because it tastes good, not because I'm still hungry. I'm slowly taming that beast, but people begging me to eat more doesn't help. It's been said on these boards before. You'd never tell an obese person, "Step away from the hamburger, fatty!" So why tell someone who is in the process of getting to a healthier weight to eat more? I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Just had to vent.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have eaten at PF Changs, too. Didn't know about the 3 servings, though. When I eat at a retaurant I eat what I want and ask for a box to take the rest home. No one has ever commented on this, in fact it seems to be a very common practice, as I see people leaving restaurants carrying a box, all the time.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #3  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieC87 View Post

You'd never tell an obese person, "Step away from the hamburger, fatty!" So why tell someone who is in the process of getting to a healthier weight to eat more?
A M E N !!!!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #4  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Food sometimes is just so delicious that I continue eating because it tastes good, not because I'm still hungry.
That's it in a nutshell for me!!! I just keep reminding myself, with each day, every meal, every snack, every craving, "it's wonderful! it tastes so good! but I don't have to eat it all RIGHT NOW! I can save some for later! This is not the last time I'll ever have pie! There's no shame in an extra serving of sweet potatoes if I skip dessert!" etc, etc, etc.

And you're right - our country IS pretty backward. It's a shame how much portion sizes have increased over the past 40 years. Unreal, really.

And yet, it all comes down to one thing. Choices. Yup. Choices.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I think it's often to ease their own guilt of eating what they want to eat.

But, being married to someone from a different country and from visiting other countries, I can say this. Shoving food in people's faces and trying to get them to eat more is even more pronounced in Europe and in Mexico. It's almost rude to say, "no thank you, I'm full." when you are a guest. They won't take no for an answer!

But, I also notice when we've traveled, that the sheer AMOUNT we eat at meals is like double what most of the locals eat/put on their plate when they are eating at home!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #6  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I've been having to deal with food pushers, too. It's so annoying! You're right, I never had anyone tell me not to eat more of something, even when I was obviously obese, no one had a care in the world, but now that I've made healthy changes and choices, I get people telling me to eat more, or that I shouldn't lose any more weight. I had someone try to push some cake on me this weekend; "It's just a little slice". Where was their concern when I was so unhealthy? It's mind boggling.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #7  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I totally agree with you, it's North America, we are an obese society. I hired a nanny from hong kong almost 2 years ago, she's Philipino, anyways, the first thing she noticed in Canada was how much food we have everywhere and how FAT everybody is! She still can't believe it, the majority of people are overweight, and very unhealthy. Even if you watch the food commercials, they make a MacDonalds burger the next best thing! And what scares me is that my kids watch this! It's an epidemic....and you know it feeds the economy....we are killing ourselves to run the economy! Literally!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I have to agree with Berryblondeboys, I do not see food pushing as limited to the US at ALL. It doesn't mean it's good anywhere, but this is not about the US being backwards, it's about the universal association of food with pleasure, love, etc. I think a big difference ends up being the KIND of food we eat - if you went to China, people there would not be eating the same fat and calorie filled kung pao chicken you were eating, regardless of the portion sizes.

FWIW, I also find that when I am more militant about things such as stating that I CAN'T eat something or making a big deal about splitting up a portion, people are more likely to react negatively and push me to eat more food than if I am more nonchalant and discreet about it and simply eat the amount I want to eat of the foods I choose to have without drawing extra attention to it.

Last edited by April Snow; 09-26-2011 at 11:06 AM.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I hate food pushers. I'm generally a patient person, but I've lashed out at friends/family who stepped over the line. It gets annoying; I've said no so leave me alone!

This weekend I think I lost count how many times I had to insist that I DIDN'T WANT ANY MORE. I'm sure, I'm really really sure—asking me 500 times is just going to piss me off!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Height: 5'4"

It drives me crazy when I've finally gotten the motivation to be strong and conquer my obsession with food (for me, it's also about that taste, not so much nourishment before, but I'm working on that), and then I go have dinner with my parents or my sister or a friend and everyone is just pushing food on me from all directions! The waiter is waving desserts in my face, my mom is yapping about cheesecake, my sister is pretending to eat healthy by getting salad bar but putting the worst crap on it AND ordering appetizers and stuff, my friend has eaten a whole loaf of bread with WAY too much butter and is about to eat a plate of some kind of creamy sauces pasta that's enough to feed my fiance, my dad and I.. Really the only people who don't try to push food on me are my fiance and my dad. They've both done radical weight loss before and they know how hard it is when people are constantly telling you to eat something.

It's so defeating when I try to say no a whole bunch of times and they're still chipping away at me. I wish more places would offer some kind of fresh fruit only dessert- and actually have good produce.

UGH! /rant
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #11  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

i agree that people push food, but i think its something that just takes time for them to get over.
i was out to eat with family and some family friends once, and a family friend brought his fiance. I honestly don't know if she was trying to lose weight for the wedding or not, but we were at a mexican restaurant and when she got her burrito, the first thing she did was split it in half. another guy looked and her and goes "what, you aren't going to eat the whole thing" and in an excited voice she responded "no way im taking half of it home with me. everybody knows that leftovers from here are the best part" he nodded and went back to his own food. I honestly don't know if she was truly being enthusiastic about leftovers, or if she was trying to watch her portions, but ever since then i try to take that same approach. If i dont eat all of something, i dont give an suggestion related to my weight. instead i just suggest to them that i will finish the meal later, because it will taste awesome as my lunch tomorrow at work, or i have to work on homework and so im going to take these french fries to the library with me, something like that.
also, i think that it just takes time. some people do have to be told no a thousand times but if you dont get upset eventually they will stop being concerned about what you are and aren't eating, because its not worth it to hassle you.

i think portion sizes in restaurants are absurd, but i also think its absurd that so many people have the mentality that since that much food is on the plate, than its the restaurants fault if they over eat. a lot of people dont think to break up their food and save some for later, and then they get upset at the restaurant for serving so much food. There are a lot of servings in the bag of grapes in my fridge but i dont get mad at the produce department for giving me too many grapes all at once. lol
I think people need to take responsibility for themselves, and besides, i appreciate large portions because as a poor college kid, i always take home and eat leftovers.
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #12  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Talking

Quote:
Everyone at the table starts urging me to eat more! "Just eat it!" "Eat some more, that wasn't 1/3 of the plate!" My poor dad - who tries and fails to lose weight fairly often - said, "You can eat all you want of it! It's just chicken!" (News flash 3FCers: Apparently, chicken is calorie free! No matter how it's prepared! Eat up!)
That made me LOL... and, oh, how i wish... ha.

Anyways, I totally get you. I've had, already once today, people stop me and ask if I'm 'getting enough nutrients' and 'are you SURE youre done?' and then then kind of tilt their head and look concerned, lol... Stop.

I have had to have sit-downs with a few close peeps to let them know, really, its okay, knock it off!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

The portions are quite large - particularly the cups for soda. The US small is equivalent to a Europe XL.

But, Europe is catching up.... obesity really is an epidemic - except where they are starving.

Oh - I despise food pushers. Ignoring them works better than arguing/talking back.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #14  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percentME View Post
I think people need to take responsibility for themselves, and besides, i appreciate large portions because as a poor college kid, i always take home and eat leftovers.
I'm not a poor college kid any more but a poor recent graduate and I too appreciate large portion sizes because I have lunch for the next few days sometimes! I wish I had practiced this in college....I would have saved so much money!!

Recently I went to a diner and ordered a panini. It was RIDICULOUSLY HUGE. One quarter of it was more than enough of a meal for me, and luckily I was with my fiancee who could care less how much I eat so I didn't hear any comments. It was great though, I had lunch for the next three days.

Last edited by sontaikle; 09-26-2011 at 02:31 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #15  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Trust me, food pushers and overeaters don't just exist in the states.

GIL is notorious for this and will actually cry (or get close to it) if I don't eat what she seems a healthy portion! As in 5 bowls of food (with no veggies in sight). She was so upset before my wedding because I lost MASSIVE amounts of weight (not due to dieting but I was really, really sick) and she kept telling me to eat even though we explained to her many times that I couldn't due to being ill!

I just ignore it. Really, that's all you can do.

My in-laws visited this weekend and there was a lot of talk about weight loss, calorie counting, and exercise because both DH and I have lost quite a bit since we saw them last where as the in-laws have both gained. It was great, though, because they were really listening to us and we discussed some of the healthier choices we've made. For instance, the type of bread they buy is 150 calories/piece and they eat about 3 pieces (easily) and it doesn't fill you up at all (white bread). The type we buy is a 12grain bread that is 45 calories/piece and you really can feel full making a sandwich out of that.

While everyone knows that you're supposed to eat less, move more. Putting that into practice is HARD because you don't know the right choices and like your father you might assume something is healthy so you can eat it in whatever amount you want. Education is so important when it comes to serving sizes, calories, what foods fill you up etc. However, most people really don't know much about these things (myself included until about a year ago ).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote