Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/216/180

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Did anyone have heart / adrenal / extreme fatigue?

Hi All,

I had good success with MRC last year, but since then I had a pretty severe health condition and I'm trying to figure out if it had anything to do with the HNS drinks before I try going back on the diet. After being off the diet for a few months I began having heart palpitations and then chest pressure so intense that I ended up going to the ER. The palpitations continued for a few months accompanied by the most extreme fatigue imaginable. I could barely lift myself out of bed and I was extremely dizzy and light headed. My memory was horrible. It felt like extreme anemia, but I wasn't anemic. Western medicine said I checked out fine, but my acupuncturist said my adrenals were shot and deficient kidney chi can cause heart palps. With a very healthy diet and acupuncture, I got better after a couple months.

The only two things that were new that I can see as possible causes were:

1) I was working 12 hour shifts caregiving a few days a week and not getting a full 8 hours sleep some nights for a couple months (I only got 6-7 and I function better on 8). The work I was doing was not grueling by any means. I sat watching tv most of the time with short bursts of taking care of my client.

2) Some of the HNS have aspartame in them and most have sucralose. I later researched and found that sucralose can hurt kidney function which depletes adrenals and can contribute to the symptoms I was having. Aspartame is well known for being dangerous and also causes many of the symptoms I was having. I tried to not drink the HNS with aspartame, but one or two of my favorites had that in it, I later realized.

So my reason for posting this is not to scare people off or start a debate about anything. I'm bummed that the program worked so well for me, yet I'm scared to get back on it. What I'd like to hear is if anyone else on here has had these problems since being on the diet. I felt wonderful on the diet (probably because I was get more veggies than ever before in my life - lol) ... But it was a few months later, after I got off the diet that this happened. Prior to the diet I have never had a heart problem or felt that horrible. Did any of you have any weird health issues after the diet? I feel like if no one else did, then maybe it was just my life circumstance at that time....

Thanks so much for your time.
diet gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #2  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

No weird health issues for me. Are you sensitive to aspartame? Did you take a bunch of supplements (pills) when you did it last time? I took MRC 6 and cortitrim, but only for a couple of months.

If the HNS are the issue for you, you could sub in different protein for them. Cottage cheese is very close to the nutrition info as is stuff like egg whites and chicken breast. You could just eat more lean protein instead and would probably have almost the same results. I don't see how the actual food could give you issues, but the pills could absolutely cause problems and possibly the HNS if you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sweeteners.

Have you spoken with a medical doctor other than your acupuncture guy about your suspicions about the HNS? There are some blood tests to run to test you for sensitivity to sweeteners.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #3  

Thanks tkdtara84

I took the guggul and liver cleanse I think. Those were the only ones that seemed safe after my research. I think I only used one or two bottles of them.

That's interesting, I've never heard of a test for sensitivity to artificial sweeteners. Is that like an allergy test? I just know that they're not good for the body period, but having all this weight on me isn't good either..

When substituting cottage cheese do you know if it needs to be fat free or is low fat ok?

I bought some whey protein that is very close to the HNS protein/carb/sugar/fat levels. It doesn't have much taste tho and it needs something added - and not another fake sweetener . I'm trying to concoct my own drinks, but I'm kind of an all or nothing gal. My brain wants to fully be on the real diet or not at all. I need to get over that tho - lol ... Also, I think part of the reason I was able to do so well on the diet before was that the HNS drinks were sooo overly sweet that they curbed my appetite for anything else sweet.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #4  

I just looked up my old log and apparently I was taking Phentratrim too...
Old 09-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 5"

I'm sorry you're going through this. This is the second time I've done MRC (post-baby this time) and I haven't had any of those issues. I was put on Phentratrim because I have blood pressure issues. I had severe pre-eclampsia during my pregnancy and was on 11 blood pressure pills a day post-pregnancy. I'm off almost all of them now. Tara had some great suggestions. Check with your doctor about them.
JenB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #6  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Phentatrim could possibly cause some of that stuff, but I'm not a doctor. Could you talk to your doctor about what happened and show him/her the pill bottles and ingredients? It could have also been a coincidence I suppose.

As far as a blood test, again, I'm not a doctor, but there are some diseases like PKU that make you sensitive to sweeteners. You would know if you had PKU, but I think there are probably others, too. Have you ever had a sensitivity to sweeteners before? Honestly, the amount consumed through the HNS is small compared to the "safe" amount allowed, so I would be surprised if that was really your problem unless you are sensitive to them.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234.5/158/165

I've had some fatigue, but it was mainly when I wasn't sleeping enough. Oddly enough, I find that, on this program, I need at least 7-8 hours per night to not stall/gain. And, I also need to drink alot of water.

Also, do you think you could be having issues with reflux? Sometimes, this can cause symptoms similar to a heart attack - my mother has GERDS and has to take meds for it. She said that it feels like sharp pains in her chest/arms when she eats tomato-based foods/sauces or highly acidic things...

Sorry I'm not much help, but I've only had a few days of extreme fatigue - mainly when not sleeping or in high-stress days (sick kids and all that).

Hope you feel better!
rachels77 is offline   Reply With Quote