Old 09-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #1  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Question Calorie Calculator

I wanted 2 get back in2 the habit of countin my cals again. I see there r so many different calorie counters online. I don't know which one would be the most accurate. Can u help me find a good one? I really think it will help me stay on track 2ward my weight loss goal. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
jmfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I like myfitnesspal.com!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #3  
Becoming a BEAST!

S/C/G: 161.6/161.6/120

Height: 5'2.5"

I second the above! Myfitnesspal is amazing!
Ekicna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #4  

Do you mean a calorie calculator that will tell you how many approx. calories you need to lose?

If so, I tend to like those that seem more conservative, so I use freedieting.org. That one tends to give me a number that is on the low side of the average of several other online calculators.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #5  
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
Do you mean a calorie calculator that will tell you how many approx. calories you need to lose?

If so, I tend to like those that seem more conservative, so I use freedieting.org. That one tends to give me a number that is on the low side of the average of several other online calculators.
Yes that is the kind of calculator I'm looking for.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #6  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I used calorieking.com.

I also have their little book that I keep around the house so I don't have to log online every single time I need to look up cals.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #7  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I've been using www.caloriecount.com It has a function to put in your current weight, height, age, and goal---- but it does tend to spit out 1200/daily. I've played with it a bit by making my goal higher and do get different responses. I've been tracking my "program/weight loss" there for 2 weeks now. It isn't that its the best site, but it was one of the ones that came up in a google search that seemed straightforward and easy to use. I'm sure others have more bells and whistles and perhaps as I progress into this I'll look elsewhere but for now, I'm content with it.

Good luck to you. You'll find exactly what you need out there, I'm sure of it.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I use a little datebook and a pen. It fits in my purse and I still write my calories down. By now, (3.5 years of calorie counting) I have almost everything memorized but in the beginning I just used a couple different calorie counting books and a couple different basic on-line calorie counters to get numbers for resturants and such. Oh, and nutritional info on packages. I didn't worry about all the whistles and bells.

It's nice to have a fairly accurate view of your calories in, but I think it's not an exact calorie count that slows people up, it's the eyeballing and estimating serving sizes that lead to failure more than anything. To be honest, I was SHOCKED at how little food 3 oz of steak was after actually measuring it. I was eating 3-4 servings and thinking I was doing well... Same with the weight of potatoes and most all carbs. A good set of measuring spoons/cups/scale is equally important! Happy losing!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #9  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Lori Bell, I love your response....and your success is admirable! I'm a new calorie counter. I can't stress enough that I already "knew" the logic of calories in/calories expended, calorie deficit to lose, etc. Its so basic, we learn it in grade school. However, that information isn't the first route I thought of 30 years ago when wanting to lose weight. Instead, I joined WW and it worked to a point...then I wanted to drop 30 lbs. quickly and joined QWLC. Over the years, rinse and repeat. CC is so basic, but it gets shrouded in secrecy by commercial programs that want to collect your $$$ for the privilege of following their plans....and what are they, really? Calorie deficit in disguise. Viva la calorie counting.

I hope, like you, in some time and personal practice I will have to look things up less and less and trust my judgment. I hear you about those measuring implements too. Wow, my eyeballs can be way off....
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 168/148/135

Height: 5'8"

I love MyFitnessPal- and the iPhone app is awesome.
lissvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #11  

I keep track of my calories on LoseIt.com.
They make up a weight loss chart for me, and it also figures out my BMI.
And it's all free and very easy to use.

Good habits result from resisting temptation.
Ancient Proverb
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #12  
Ashley

Thx u everyone for giving me sum options 2 chose from I really appreciate it. I will check into everything u have listed and see what wrks for me. Lori Bell I do plan on a keepin a journal with my food and cals and wrkouts listed.