Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #1  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Default Birth Control issues...any info? TMI

Ok this is going to be filled with TMI and this is your only chance to get out so if you find this stuff icky, you should leave now....LOL!

I needed a boost to my hormones, sporadic periods. I only have about 8-9 a year and when my body skips them, it's not nice for me.

My doctor put me on Seasonale, and the pharmacy filled it with Quasense. I have been bloated lately, and my weight has gone up 5 lbs in the last month. I think it's mostly bloat although I've seen an increase in appetite. I am willing to adjust for that. What I can't handle is that for the 25 days I have been on this medication I have only had 5 days with no bleeding/spotting. This is accompanied by some pretty bad cramping. I do feel some relief from the hormones shifts and haven't had some of the problems I've had on other pills but I am not really happy with all the spotting and cramping.

I know the whole waiting months thing to regulate but how long do I stick this out? Does anyone have any experience with this issue and did it resolve? I have a feeling if I call the doc's office, they'll just start talking about it taking 3 months to adjust....I don't need it for contraception but there really is no risk of pregnancy if it derails the sex life like this....LOL!

What are the options for a woman who is not menopausal but just needs an estrogen boost? Do I HAVE to do birth control or can I balance this naturally? I keep hoping for a birth control that will do what it's supposed to but I haven't had one that didn't do this exact thing, except this usually happens at the 2-3 month mark instead of right off the bat like this time....

Last edited by 4star; 09-20-2011 at 10:43 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/194/140

Height: 5'4"

I have had horrible issues most of my adult life with TOM. Since cutting out gluten, sugar, and pretty much anything else containing carbs I have had my period on time, and it is shorter by two days and much lighter. And the best part.... NO PMS!!! If it were my body I would stop bc immediately and go low carb. It's not hard, base meals on meat, add some veg if you like, and keep fruit low and pick berries when possible. If there's still a problem, play with the ratio of fat vs protein vs carb. Don't be afraid to eat fat, and keep in mind cholesterol is necessary for estrogen production.
Raven132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #3  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven132 View Post
I have had horrible issues most of my adult life with TOM. Since cutting out gluten, sugar, and pretty much anything else containing carbs I have had my period on time, and it is shorter by two days and much lighter. And the best part.... NO PMS!!! If it were my body I would stop bc immediately and go low carb. It's not hard, base meals on meat, add some veg if you like, and keep fruit low and pick berries when possible. If there's still a problem, play with the ratio of fat vs protein vs carb. Don't be afraid to eat fat, and keep in mind cholesterol is necessary for estrogen production.
I generally do a moderated carb plan with heavy protein. I had my cycle regulate for a while and then out of the blue this started happening. I have managed to lower my cholesterol....Interesting what you said about cholesterol and estrogen production. I am almost positive, it's the low estrogen I am having issues with...I wonder if there's a correlation and I wasn't getting enough cholesterol in an effort to decrease it....
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 184/184/160

Height: 5'7"

I can't take any birth control because it causes so much inflammation in my body. I always gain weight on it and it totally lowers the sex drive.

I struggle with estrogen dominance so they put me on a progesterone cream for the second half of my cycle but it is not birth control. Have you read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". It is not just a family planning book, but also talks about hormone balancing and some ways you can help your body.

I would also suggest talking to a naturopath about hormone balancing. I hope it helps.
sararay is offline   Reply With Quote