Old 09-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/147/155

Height: 5"9

Default Converting from ideal protein...

I am usually in here under Ideal Protein diet, but I am having a HORRIBLE time maintaining on it. I lost 57 lbs and have already gained 25lbs back since last January! I need to stop the gaining trend and was looking at the new WW plan. It looks almost like a low glycemic diet. Can anyone give me any insight on it? I know it is a good, solid program. I tried it a few years ago, but was eating too many carbs and was always hungry. Has anyone else converted from super low carb/calorie to WW? I am not much into cooking, but do so for my family for suppers. I don't want to have to make two different meals. Also, does this plan allow for crystal light, sugar free gum and diet sodas?

Thank You!
Clarice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Hi there =)

There are a few people around these parts that still do Lower Carb/WW combination.

I've never had to make two different meals for myself and my husband. I make something healthier, and he eats it, because it's made... *shrug*

As the other Points programs under WW, no food is off limits, but the Points are there to give a little balance to what foods we choose. Vegetables & Fruits are zero points, but the serving numbers must be watched closely. There are also the good health guidelines in place to make sure we're getting enough water/fats/exercise, etc.

So, yes, Crystal Light...sugar free gum... diet soda... they're all fine to have while using WW as long as the member has no problems with them individually. Again, nothing is off-limits. It's about finding personal balance, and keeping portions and moderation in mind.

I hope that helped some. And perhaps someone who combines a little low carb/WW can pop in here and give an idea of what that's like for you.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 268/ CW 202.4/ GW 150

Height: 5'1

I've been eating no grains, no sugar, no soy, no dairy while doing WW for the last 23 days or so It has been just fine. Sometimes I do feel like I have to eat more because I eat so many zero point foods but.... that is because I don't like traditionally healthy good fats (like avacado and coconut) so I have to make up for that sort of thing.

Anyway, yes, it is very doable *nods* I eat a lot of eggs, protein, vegetables with a bit of fruit, dried fruit, and nuts and have lost just about 11 lbs over the last 3 weeks. Admittedly I don't track because I'm worried about eating too much, but instead because I worry about not eating enough the last few weeks.
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

I eat lower carb and follow WW. I like the combination. I don't do super low carb. Right now I am generally staying around 70 net carbs a day (started out at 40 and have worked my way up). I find that I like WW for the meetings, weigh in, and helping with portion control.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

I also do lower carbs, and most of the carbs are from whole grains or fruit/veg. It is perfectly doable as part of WW.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/147/155

Height: 5"9

Thanks for the info, everyone. I went to my gyno yesterday and he was shocked when I told him how low calories I was eating on Ideal Protein. (not knocking the diet-it is great for losing, I just have a hard time maintaining). He told me to multiply my weight by 15-that is the amount of calories I need to maintain, then subtract 500 a day if I want to lose 1lb a week, 1000 if I want to lose 2lbs. He recommended that I not go below that. I am seriously considering WW for portion control, I know its a good program, I just hate all the tracking, writing, etc, and I live in a very rural area with the closest group being an hour's drive away!. Thanks again for the info!
Clarice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

As far as two different meals go...
I've always been in the "I will not make more than 1 meal at dinner time" camp. BUT, I don't have picky kids (just a picky husband, hahahaha). But, I have been on WW since November of 2010 and not once have I had to make a different meal. My husband is fine with the food. He revealed to me that he missed mac and cheese and hot dogs, so I found a WW friendly recipe for mac and cheese and I made turkey hot dogs. A lot of people will agree with me that a good website is www.skinnytaste.com. It's a recipe blog and is fabulous for recipes, especially kid friendly (or husband friendly). Probably 4-5 out of 7 of my weekly menu comes from her site.
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote