Old 09-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/172/140

Height: 5'4

Default Exercise & IP

My Coach stressed that I not do any exercise...no cardio. I have been on IP for a few months and love it. But I would love to get back to working out in hopes to loose more weight quick and build muscle, not to mention I always feel great after a good work out.

Has anyone been successful in combining IP with exercise
yma311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

You asked this in another thread maybe the Daily one and I posted a link for you about exercise thread. Here it is again.....http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-exercise.html

Last edited by wuv2bloved; 09-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #3  

I probably posted this at one time or another in the past, maybe in the Exercise thread wuv2bloved provided the link to, but I'll repeat it here... caution, this is not really advice, just to answer your question "Has anyone been successful in combining IP with exercise?"..

When I started IP last year, I was already working out pretty intensely with kettlebells & some cardio... my main goal was to get into shape by the end of summer 2010 to go to Colorado to work on a weekend trail crew on the Continental Divide Trail... I knew that I needed to drop a few lbs. too, but I was more concerned with increasing my strength & endurance... since I didn't have an IP coach to tell me to stop exercising, I kept at it when I started eating according to IP protocol... I was 100% faithful to protocol, though, & combined with the exercise, the lbs. & inches just melted off... I cannot say for certain that the weight loss might or might not have been faster if I hadn't exercised... I do know, though, that by the time I hit the trail in August, I was leaner & fitter than I had been in years...

As I said, I'm not advising you do the same... that's for you & your coach to discuss & decide what might be best for you...

I want to thank you for asking this question, remembering what all I did last year just might get me in high gear again... I've been working out at the gym for the past 7 months & have hardly picked up my kettlebells in that time... maybe it's time to get serious with them again... I just restarted Phase 1, with determination to stay on protocol 100% & get to goal by Thanksgiving... your question just might be the oomph I needed... again!!!..

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #4  

I don't do IP (although I read all y'alls threads religiously, b/c I'm always exploring options), so this is totally an opinion based on NOTHING factual

Now, with that disclaimer:

Is it possible your coach doesn't want you (or any other IP'er) to exercise because it would help you reach your goal weight/body much more quickly, therefore less $$ for Ideal Solutions?
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself View Post
I don't do IP (although I read all y'alls threads religiously, b/c I'm always exploring options), so this is totally an opinion based on NOTHING factual

Now, with that disclaimer:

Is it possible your coach doesn't want you (or any other IP'er) to exercise because it would help you reach your goal weight/body much more quickly, therefore less $$ for Ideal Solutions?
Our calorie intake ranges are very low some as low as 600calories to 900calories so we are not intaking a lot of calories. I don't think it has anything to do with the money but that is my opinion.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Our calorie intake ranges are very low some as low as 600calories to 900calories so we are not intaking a lot of calories. I don't think it has anything to do with the money but that is my opinion.
Honey, you've had such amazing success on the program that I would never argue with you!!! (You're inspiring!)

I didn't realize the caloric intake was that low on IP, even though I do cruise through here a lot.

I was more basing my opinion on my experience with WW & other commercial programs, which change their programs every few years to keep the dough rolling in. If IP doesn't have a program to change, per se, my line of reasoning would be that they'd want to keep their current clients as long as possible.

Hope I didn't offend you (I'm bad about doing that without meaning to!)

Last edited by 4myloves; 09-15-2011 at 04:49 PM.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself View Post
Honey, you've had such amazing success on the program that I would never argue with you!!! (You're inspiring!)

I didn't realize the caloric intake was that low on IP, even though I do cruise through here a lot.

I was more basing my opinion on my experience with WW & other commercial programs, which change their programs every few years to keep the dough rolling in. If IP doesn't have a program to change, per se, my line of reasoning would be that they'd want to keep their current clients as long as possible.

Hope I didn't offend you (I'm bad about doing that without meaning to!)
OH NO...didn't offend me at all, I know where you are coming from. I was just stating what I have read what others say as to why they don't want us to exercise....lol
Old 09-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
wuv2bloved, you are absolutely correct on both counts. IP's goal is to get you on the diet, get you healthy, and then get you off the diet by phasing you back into eating whole foods. It's not about the money, and they don't want to keep you on forever...IP makes MORE when you lose weight quickly, safely, and you feel good because you TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS, and then THEY go on the program.

And you are consuming approximately 900 calories, BUT...if you lose 4 lbs per week, you're also burning your stored fat, which has 3500 calories per lb, so 3500 x 4 = 14,000, and divided by 7 days, that gives you an additional 2000 calories, for a total of 2900 per day...that's why you're not generally hungry, cranky, or lethargic while you're on IP, with the exception of the first few days when you're using up your glycogen reserves and transitioning into ketosis.

As for exercising on IP (or not), it has to do with preserving your muscle mass, which is what this diet is designed to do...Dr. Tran developed it for Olympic athletes who had put on a few lbs in the off-season and wanted to lose them prior to training without losing muscle, for obvious reasons. You CAN exercise after the first 3 weeks, you just need to lower your normal intensity and adjust your protein intake accordingly.
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #9  
Start date 08/26/2011

S/C/G: 194.6/182.8/142.0

Height: 5'2"

Default I Can Understand building muscle Adds Weight...

But, as an avid exerciser, I don't get the part that I read saying IP coach doesn't want you to get your heart rate up... and I haven't found an explanation for that on the exercise thread.

Anybody know?
Corrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/172/140

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone - lots of great advise and information. I tend to try and "out wit" a diet, you know, find the loop hole. I do love being on this program. I did WW for a few years and it was good, but then they changed how they did points with points plus and I was done, that I think was for money. IP is good, I like not cheating, I like that I can make snacks for my kids, yummy sweet things, and not take a bite. I find I bake more now than I ever did because I have no desire to cheat.

All you gals are great - thanks for the support!
yma311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #11  

Aunt Sheshie: I love kettle bells. They are fun and really reshape your body.

YMA: I am reading a book by Gary Taubes and I just read the chapter on exercise. Gary shows that even though the current experts tell us we need to exercise the studies show that the results of exercise aren't great.

Two authorities, the American Heart Association and American College of Sports Medicine authored the guidelines on physical activity and healthy in 2007. Certainly these are precisely the experts who want to convince us to exercise. But their answer to how exercising affects weight is:

“It is reasonable to assume that persons with relatively high daily energy expenditures would be less likely to gain weight over time, compared to those with low energy expenditures. SO FAR, data to support this hypotheses are NOT PARTICULARLY COMPELLING.”

So, basically they are saying surely people who are active will not gain weight when compared to people who aren’t active but the studies don’t support their beliefs.

Part of the problem is that exercise revs up your appetite. So, if you burn 200 calories by going for a run you will be hungrier later and naturally eat more.

I will still exercise. My coach told me to put in half the effort for half of the amount of time and I will be fine. Exercise puts me in a better mood. I just feel better. That is why I exercise, not because I think it will magically drop the pounds. I have tried working out before and it didn't work for me for weight loss (specifically in terms of weight loss not in terms of feeling good).
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
But, as an avid exerciser, I don't get the part that I read saying IP coach doesn't want you to get your heart rate up... and I haven't found an explanation for that on the exercise thread.

Anybody know?
Here's the explanation

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...xercise-5.html
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie View Post

Anybody know?
YES!! Here is the actual explanation, straight from Ideal Protein's Chief Science Officer:

Why is exercise NOT recommended during the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method?
Dieters on the protocol are on a very low caloric diet, yet their body is actually "getting more calories" than they were prior to starting our protocol. Why? Because they are burning their fat stores. They are getting about 900 kcal (calories) per day from the foods they are eating (on Phase 1) but if they lose 4 lbs per week (on average) 4 x 3500 kcal/lb of fat means 14,000 kcal/week, divide by 7 equals 2000 kcal per day. They are actually consuming 900 kcal + 2000 kcal = 2900 kcal per day. Understand their bodies must make the necessary enzymes to fully burn the ketonic bodies that are produced from fat metabolism (beta oxidation). It takes about two weeks for this to happen. During the first 3 weeks, your body is getting the necessary "enzymatic machinery" in place so it can use 100% of the ketonic bodies (for cellular fuel) that your body is producing from burning the fat. In the first couple of weeks, it cannot use all of them and you breath them out (acetone breath), "pee them out" (ketostix turn purple when you dip them in your urine) or
you excrete excess ketones in your feces.

If your blood sugar gets too low during this time period, the proteins we supply and the muscle you have can undergo gluconeogenesis and glucose can be produced. If you increase the glucose demand (i.e. exercise vigorously during these first 3 weeks) you will increase gluconeogensis markedly. This CAN result in muscle loss, SOMETHING WE WANT TO AVOID!!!! If you MUST exercise during the first 3 weeks,
please do it lightly, (1/3 to 1/2 your normal intensity) or not at all. Here's the beauty of the program: During this period...you literally are "peeing out calories" without having to exercise!!! You will lose the same amount of weight, but will not risk losing muscle. This is not about calories in - calories out, it's about hormones and metabolism. They were fighting a hormone (Insulin) before and you can't exercise your way out of that, the hormone always wins. After the first 3 weeks, you may exercise, but please keep in mind:
• Do not get overly tired
• Supplements are a must! (serious cardiac problems
can result; arrythmias, tachycardia, etc)
• Keep well
Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yma311 View Post
Thanks everyone - lots of great advise and information. I tend to try and "out wit" a diet, you know, find the loop hole. I do love being on this program. I did WW for a few years and it was good, but then they changed how they did points with points plus and I was done, that I think was for money. IP is good, I like not cheating, I like that I can make snacks for my kids, yummy sweet things, and not take a bite. I find I bake more now than I ever did because I have no desire to cheat.

All you gals are great - thanks for the support!
yma311, this is probably the one diet you can't outwit...the medical science it's based on is so solid, there is literally no way to trump it. Even the bigwigs at IP have tried, and they couldn't even do it. If you stick to it as written, you WILL reach your goal AND be able to maintain it. And this site IS amazing for support!