PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #1  

Default New to Forum

Hi all...

Just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Carissa and I am 28 years old. I was recently diagnosed with Insulin Resistance and put on Metformin by my gynecologist. I am fortunate enough that I work in the medical field and "diagnosed" myself. I have had a feeling I had PCOS/IR for a while, and finally got the guts to talk to my Dr. about it. I don't know about my hormone levels, because I am on birth control and my Dr. said that would give us a falst result on the hormone labs, although with my current bloodwork my Insulin level came back very high.

I have been on Metformin for about 2 weeks and have lost 5 lbs. so far. Slow and steady wins the race I suppose?

I look forward to going through the threads and reading about all of your experiences with PCOS/IR.

If any of you have suggestions or input you would like to share it would be much appreciated. Like I said, I plan on going through the threads as well.

Thanks in advance for the support!

Carissa
CarissaH330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!!!!!!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! Just hop right into the conversations! We're glad you are here.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/198/130

Welcome! I recently started coming to the PCOS thread too, and I have learned a lot, so I'm sure you will too!
redbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #5  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 189/180/120

Height: 5'3"

I'm also new. My name is Megan and I was just diagnosed with PCOS from my gyno, but he blew it off like it was no big deal... said ohh we'll just put you on bc. I asked about metformin since I can not lose weight and he said no I don't think that would help. Obviously he has no idea so I'm booking an apointment with another dr. Any tips on things I should ask/bring up ? Thanks!
MegFromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

Megan,

I would suggest you make an appointment with a Reproductive Endocrinologist. IMO, the seems to be more knowledgeable in dealing with PCOS than a gynecologist or a regular endocrinologist.

You are right, the BCP will definitely give a false hormonal reading. Your doctor should have told you to get off BCP and to come back in 2 months for a full blood panel. If you are still young with no kids, he should have asked you to chart your temp cycle to see if you can ovulate by yourself. He should have also tested you for IR before deciding if Metformin is right for you or not.

I hope this helps!
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote