Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Question Stretch Marks

My weight has been a yo-yo disaster for the past 10~ years and my tummy is worse for the wear They aren't very deep but they definitely make a showing all the same. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/faery dust they would mind sharing in regards to lessening the look of these? I know about how cocoa butter is supposed to help and I tried it. They were a little more smooth to the touch but the smell didn't sit well with me after a while. Thanks ^^
Aoidela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:16 AM   #2  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Stretch marks are "torns" in the epidermis when our skin is stretched.Usually if the stretch marks are purple you will be able to remove them. But if they are white it's permanent sadly.

Skinny people also get stretch marks. My cousin who is about 110 has them.
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: pounds lost: 8.9 of 52.5

I've also heard that you can have them removed if they're purple, but I've never heard how exactly. Any advice, melodymist?
paris in 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #4  

Actually, I would be happy if I could simply find a way to make them not-purple.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Thanks melody, they're white so this is pretty much what I figured I guess I can always just stick with the cocoa butter a few times a week. At least this way they are more smooth to the touch and less "bumpy".
Aoidela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoidela View Post

My weight has been a yo-yo disaster for the past 10~ years and my tummy is worse for the wear They aren't very deep but they definitely make a showing all the same. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/faery dust they would mind sharing in regards to lessening the look of these? I know about how cocoa butter is supposed to help and I tried it. They were a little more smooth to the touch but the smell didn't sit well with me after a while. Thanks ^^
I have a llotttt of stretch marks and they haven't gone away as I've lost weight. Good ole moisturizer helped them fade slightly and they weren't as noticeable, but they're still there.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll always have them. I also refuse to let them stop me from wearing a bikini once my stomach flattens a bit.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #7  

If they are still fresh-looking and red, you can use cocoa butter and/or vitamin E oil twice daily to help fade them. I did this consistently throughout both my pregnancies and don't have one stretch mark on my tummy. I'm not kidding.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #8  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

i put Palmers Cocoa Butter for stretch marks on mine. Its got an image of a pregnant lady on the front lol It doesn't make them go away completely but when i actually apply it religiously it does make them fade and be less noticeable.
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #9  

Hi there FitMom! To clarify, did cocoa butter take care of the stretch marks you got while you were pregnant, or did it keep you from getting them?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #10  
Get to goal & stay there!

S/C/G: 235/154.8/150

Height: 5'5"

You can try Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy Advanced Cream Formula. It has gotten some good reviews.

Also, dry body brushing has faded and even gotten rid of stretch marks on some women, but the results take months to see and you have to be consistent. I've only been dry brushing for a little over a month; although, I forget to do it some days.
sandcar150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #11  

I hate the smell of Cocoa Butter yuck..
Old 09-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris in 6 View Post
I've also heard that you can have them removed if they're purple, but I've never heard how exactly. Any advice, melodymist?
Don't know about removing them but oils and lotions rich in Vit E helps.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 6"

I have never heard of "dry brushing"... is this what it sounds like..? Brushing your skin with a hair brush? Would like to know.. as I have lots and lots of stretch marks that I would like to get rid of..
Lisa532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #14  
metamorfizzn

S/C/G: 200/(ticker sez)/131

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa532 View Post
I have never heard of "dry brushing"... is this what it sounds like..? Brushing your skin with a hair brush? Would like to know.. as I have lots and lots of stretch marks that I would like to get rid of..
Basically, yep, that's what it is. But not with a hairbrush. You know those brushes people use in the shower with the long handle to reach their backs? You can use one of those, or you can buy another natural bristle brush with a short handle (medium firm natural bristles work best; you don't want to use plastic or metal bristles, yeow). I got mine online at Iherb dot com for a few bucks.

It hurts a bit at first to dry brush (at least it did me, but I have fibro, so that could be part of it), but your skin gets used to it quickly and your complexion glows as you keep doing it over time. A good time to do it is right before your shower. Can't say I've gotten rid of stretch marks yet, but I can see how it might help, since blood flow to the area is how your body heals regular old scars from wounds, too.

Last edited by laali; 10-09-2011 at 07:35 AM.
laali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #15  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
If they are still fresh-looking and red, you can use cocoa butter and/or vitamin E oil twice daily to help fade them. I did this consistently throughout both my pregnancies and don't have one stretch mark on my tummy. I'm not kidding.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!

I figured vitamin E might help because when I was 14 I had major back surgery and my mom would split open a vitamin E gelcap and rub the oil on my scar. It's still visible, but it doesn't show up in photos and you sort of have to be looking for it to see it from a distance. Not a big deal.

I asked my bf to pick me up some today, but I wasn't really sure how much it would help. But THANK YOU! You've given me a bit more faith in it, and right now I really need that. I have a few minor, white stretch marks on my inner thighs, but they're not all that visible. I just started getting these BIG ugly purple streaks on my belly and I can actually *feel* them! It's been really upsetting me. 12 years of being perfectly at ease (and frequently proud of) an 18" scar straight down my back, and these relatively small purple "scars" on my belly are the ones giving me a complex...

I'm SO happy to know that there's a solution! Even if they don't disappear completely forever, I would be happy if they were less noticeable...

Again, THANK YOU!
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote