Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #1  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Default light v. regular

Been eating 12 grain Freihoffer bread for 3 points per slice. Its a large, dense, heavy slice that I usually fashion into 2 pieces anyhow, and really enjoy. It makes a substantial sandwich or open face sandwich, especially delicious toasted--it gets nutty tasting and super crunchy. 130 calories per slice.

In an effort to lighten up, hubby bought pepperidge farm light style 7 grain to try. 1 point per slice. 3 points per 3 slices. The nutritional information lists 2 breakdowns - one for 1 slice, the other for 3 slices. 3 slices light is the same calories as 1 slice of 12 grain Freihoffer and the same points. Two slices don't quite equal the size of 1 slice of Frehoffer. It isn't dense or heavy; toasted, it was like eating generic white bread in flavor, texture and feel.

I guess I could kid myself into believing I was eating "more" but I'd rather go with the regular 12 grain for the satisfaction I get eating it.

I think I will grind the light into breadcrumbs.

Conversely, I LOVE Greek nonfat yogurt. So much so, I don't use sour cream anymore or regular yogurt. Go figure.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I definitely know what you mean.

There are times when "light" is the right choice. But, there are a number of foods that I don't play games with. If I want that food... I want that food. Not the light version.

Maple syrup is one of those for me. No fakey fake stuff. When I want maple syrup, I want the real thing and I'm happy to budget out points for it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 268/ CW 202.4/ GW 150

Height: 5'1

I almost always go with the regular stuff, most light stuff is filled with ingredients I don't want to eat. I don't even buy non fat milk *laughs* I say go for the bread you enjoy and just eat it in moderation.
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote