Old 09-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/215/150

Height: 5'8''

Default Atkins to Weight Watchers?

Hey everyone. I was just wondering has anyone switched from atkins to weight watchers. I'm thinking about changing to weight watchers, but wasn't sure what I was in store for if anyone could tell me anything that would be great.

Thanks.
peekaboo901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

People will tell you that if you ever go off Atkins, even to go on another weight loss diet, you will gain all the weight back.

Don't believe it. It's not true (unless you go back to old habits and calorie levels), but when you transition from low-carb to a higher-carb diet, you WILL probably gain a couple pounds.

Don't panic, this isn't fat gain. Your body just needs more water to process carbs.

You can switch from low-carb to high-carb and back again, as long as you remember that with the switch, a few pounds of water weight are going to come and go.

I currently weigh 300 lbs, and I'm in a low-carb phase. If I switched to my high-carb plan tomorrow, I know I will gain 3 to 4 lbs. When I switch back I will lose those same 3 to 4 lbs.

As a result, I don't "count" those pounds. When I switch to high-carb from low-carb, I don't count the gain I see on the scale as a gain (assuming I'm following my food plan, and not bingeing). When I switch to low-carb, I also don't count the loss that I see on the scale.

From experience, I know the transition takes a few days to a week (for me, I'm guessing it varies from person to person).

I look at it this way: My low-carb weight is currently 300 lbs, so my high-carb weight would be about 304 lbs. I consider it a "conversion rate," just as if you were changing money when traveling. If you convert your dollars Euro dollars, or vice versa you don't gain or lose anything in the transition (at least in theory).

On the same calorie level, I do tend to lose more on low carb than on higher carb. The more carbs I eat, especially the quick-digesting ones, the hungrier I am as well, so under most circumstances it does pay for me to watch my carb intake.

The new Weight Watchers plan isn't low-carb (from what I've seen), but is carb and hunger sensitive. You "pay" less for lower carb, lower glycemic, and more filling foods.

As long as you don't let the small transition gain throw you, you shouldn't have a problem (remember it's not fat, it's just a little bit of water that your body needs to process the carbs).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

I am a WW member and while I don't do strict Atkins I do eat lower carb and do a sort of modified combo of Atkins/South Beach.

It is totally possible to eat low carb and follow the WW plan. But, of course, it isn't required.

Atkins and other low carb programs promote weight loss by focusing on what you eat. Some people -- for whatever reason (and there is debate on why) -- lose more eating low carb. For others, it doesn't matter. I think it is fair to say that -- at least in the short term -- evidence seems to suggest that people on low carb lose a little faster. Whether that holds true long term is I think undecided.

Weight Watchers takes more the position that it is how much you eat not what you eat that matters So WW is fine with you eating high carb or low carb. While WW promotes eating according to good health guidelines it doesn't otherwise require you to eat -- or not eat -- particular foods. Atkins is all about what you eat and doesn't advocate counting calories at all.
With Atkins you count carbs and only carbs. On WW you count points which are based partly on carbs but also on protein, fat, and fiber. WW forbids no foods. Some foods may cost a lot of points to eat but nothing is forbidden.

Oh and I agree with Kaplods. If you are going from low carb eating to high carb eating except to see a gain of fluids which isn't "real" weight gain.

However, you may choose to forbid or limit for yourself certain foods. I don't personally forbid any food but entirely but I do limit carbs and rarely if ever eat things like French fries and cake.

Last edited by Koshka; 09-02-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #4  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

Ugh I'm coming off Atkins and have seen a two pound gain this week although official weigh in isn't till Sunday, but I'm gonna give this a month as it's an extremely doable plan.
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote