South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default Chick'n "Wangs" & Crazy Thoughts

All I could think about for half the day was wings. Real Wings aren't exactly low in fat. I went to the grocery store and walked by them, picked them up, put them down, walked by, turned around & walked by them again.I went over to the frozen cooked wings and did the same thing. I put them down! I must have looked like a lunatic! I paid for my groceries and left.

Then I went to a different store and looked at wings there fully intending on buying some. This place has precooked wings already sauced, that's what I was going to get. I went in this 2nd store and picked them up and read the ingredients to see if it had any sugar, no sugar but flour! I put them down. I walked over to the raw wings and did the same thing I did in the other store.

As I was looking at the wings a thought popped in my head, "I could make boneless wings with the sauce I have at home that I know doesn't have flour or sugar in it". So that's what I decided to do, Boneless wings.

Why oh why must I have this fight with myself all the time over food. I wasted so much time doing what I did. And the whole time my daughter is saying "MOM you already looked at that, why do you need to look at it again!". My poor kid!

I wonder if there will ever be a time when I won't fight with myself.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Great for you though, you didn't buy it! How were your boneless wings?
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #3  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

They were ok. Not quite what I was looking for, but were good.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

my DW makes boness wings (i've never eaten meat on a bone) and they are delish. She marinates chicken tenders in Texas pete sauce. Puts them on the grill and combines a lit of texas pete to 2 tablespoons of ICBINB.

Serve with celery and carrots. YUMMY!

I applaud your efforts!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #5  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

WOW!!! I am so impressed by your post! You overcame the struggle repeatedly and then found a workable solution! You really should be so proud of yourself. Don't beat yourself up for wasting time or confusing your kid - if it was easy then we'd all be thin and this forum wouldn't need to exist. Plus, IMO, your mental battle/multiple chicken wings inspection/walking by several times shows that you're inner strength is kicking in exactly when it needs to. I think this is a NSV. It doesn't matter how many times you walked by or picked up the bag - in the end, you didn't eat it.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #6  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Thanks. It's not bad since that was my first "episode" since I began P1 (3 more days!). I'm getting better though, I did think of an alternative and usually I don't, I just eat it and then beat myself up over it. I think my blood sugar was off since I was in the grocery store during the time I'd normally eat a snack. I'm better today.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I make a wing "dip"-

I mix shredded chicken with cream cheese and wing sauce, then serve it warm in celery (actually, cucumber for me, since I hate celery, but celery seems like a better choice for peopel who do like it) It has all the taste of chicken wings, but less messy, and not greasy. It's been a big hit at family functions and parties too.

On another note- good for you for making the decision to try a healthy alternative. I have definitely been there before too- picking it up, putting it back, over and over again. Congrats on walking away!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/ticker/145

Height: 5' 2"

I agree! good for you! There are so many times in the past that I succumbed to that "lure" so I will remember this story next time I find myself with my hand on a bag of doritos headed to the checkout line!
kpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #9  

Height: 5-7

HPNODAT - I see major positives in the experience you shared.

Going back and forth in decision making shows that your are aware that you have choices!! (How many times have I driven to purchase something (for me it would be a chocolate croissant!) and not had the inner dialogue and the outer struggle.) This is a huge deal. I don't think we can get to the place of making automatic (or more frequent) healthy choices w/o a struggle. Our brains don't seem to be wired to automatically shift gears in a short amount of time.

Also, you took the time to look at the ingredient list to help you make your choice and then you thought of a solution! This is cause for major celebration!

As for your daughter noticing your behavior, this could be an opportunity to help her grow. If parents share their thinking aloud, demonstrate the struggle and decision-making verbally, it helps children build strategies when facing struggles of their own.

All good stuff! And this time, you made a healthy decision.
As these stack up, your brain will eventually change.
OvertheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #10  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Thank you for giving me a different outlook on the "fight" I have with myself. I never thought about it as it being a good thing. You are right, in the past I would have just gotten my guilty pleasure and it would have turned into a binge.

In the future I'll look at my struggle as being a more positive thing than a negative.