Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 01:30 PM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Question Since we're rambling, what are your thoughts.....

on talking to other's about wls? When I say talking to other's I mean bringing it up to them. I'm not talking about strangers on the street who happen to be obese, I'm talking about those you know in a passing sort of way.

I for one, never in a million years thought my insurance, or for that matter any insurance paid for wls until someone told me.

Like many, I of course had heard of wls, but never really knew anything about it.

I would never presume to tell someone that wls was for them. I don't think anyone can do that, it's a decision we make ourselves.

I'm very open when people ask me questions about wls and about the complications I had following the surgery. My PCP has even, after asking me, given out my phone number to people to talk to me about wls.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I know I have the off sided comment by a fellow band Mom to thank for my surgery. Yes, even after the complications I can now say thank. She just mentioned during a conversation that another band Mom had undergone wls a couple of months before. I bombarded that Mom with questions, that was on Aug. 31, 2001, and the rest they say is history.

Debbie

Last edited by debkay; 01-26-2003 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:43 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

i'm pretty open about the whole thing. after all, it's kind of hard to miss!! but after ALL THIS WEIGHT i'm starting to be reluctant to give people exact numbers. some of them just add up the number of people i've lost and it just makes me uncomfortable.

but most people are very supportive, even those who are 'against' it. after they hear me, they realize that this can be lifesaving, and not just life-threatening.

but interesting thing happened yesterday... i was at a step niece's baby shower with some folks i know only very very very slightly, and they knew about my surgery. i didn't bring it up.they mentioned it towards the end of the afternoon. and they were curious but plainly reluctant to ask me, so i told them anyway, and then they told me all about their WW points for the day.

i couldn't wait to get out of there!
Old 01-26-2003, 11:34 PM   #3  
Slowly going crazy!

Right now I'm pretty reluctant to talk about my 'banding' as it is new and the moment I mention WLS that's when they think I've had the bypass. Then I'm scrutinized and I have to explain the whole difference, yadda yadda yadda.
I wish I wouldn't have talked to some people about it that I did, because their attitudes toward me changed...almost with a pity kinda look on their faces.

But...I'm doing well, and people who are supportive of what I've done and any type of WLS are the ones I keep in my inner circle.

As for talking to others...There are some friends I would love to share the news with, but I hate to think I'd offend. I want the results to be seen more before I talk to them.
Some of these friends I'm am literally scared for. Because they are in the 300lb plus range, and one girl is only 21 years old. They've tried every diet, etc...and still gain. I keep wanting to give them hope, but until I'm a 'walking billboard' so to speak, I think I need to be silent. I haven't seen these friends since September hopefully next time I see them I will have had a greater weight loss and be able to sit with them and tell them my story.

Another question: Do you feel once you told people that you had WLS that you are now under a microscope about everything you eat, and always asked "how much have you lost now?" I'm finding that question hard to avoid, but I'm thinking of saying... "I'm not open to sharing that right now".
Old 01-28-2003, 08:08 PM   #4  

Interesting, Debkay!

I know that for now, I am keeping extremely closed mouthed about it. It is just too hard to discuss it with people who "don't get it". Plus....well, I AM A NINNY (thank you leens!)

BUT! I am pretty sure that if and when I get to the point where people start asking me about my weight loss I will tell them the truth....unless of course they tick me off and then I make NO promises to what will come out of this mouth!

peach
Closed Thread