Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 01:21 PM   #1  

Lightbulb Isolation

Greetings!

I have recently realized that I have isolated myself from the world going back 5 years ago - and, that my weight gain had begun in earnest right about that time too. As of late, I notice the blues are getting thicker and I do not leave my home very often - except for work and necessary errands. I pay my bills online, talk to my friends and family by phone or email and find I am very overwhelmed by the world outside my door. I have lived in this city for two and a half years - my friends are all very far away. I have yet to form a serious friendship here -- so anything I feel like doing is done alone.

Five years ago, in attempting to rebuild my life and refuel my soul, I unknowingly began to build a very solitary life - The things I love to do all require no direct interaction with humanity - writing, painting, reading, perfecting my breadmaking, walking, geneology research - all of these are spectacular things to do, however, they are all very isolating. And to top it off, I don't let the people around me know how isolated I feel. I keep a smile on and the chin up.

The weight doesn't help. But I did join WeightWatchers last week. I have 65 pounds to lose. I am working day by day to bond with others and open up enough to allow friendships to bloom.

Thank you for a place to speak so openly. You have no idea how much I appreciate finding this website.

Katie
Old 01-26-2003, 02:19 PM   #2  

Hi,

I know how you feel because i am a very private person, so therefore, i don't let a lot of people in. The thing is, I like being alone. I especially hate going to parties, bars, clubs, etc. I would rather just stay home and read a book, watch T.V. , or take care of any other business i have to take care of. Some people are just naturally loners. I know i am one of them and i don't mind that.

Blaze
Old 01-26-2003, 04:42 PM   #3  

Welcome, both of you!

This is a very friendly group of people and we will listen and give support to anyone who needs it.

There is nothing wrong with being alone unless loneliess happens. I am a very out going person who loves people, but I also like being alone too.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:50 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I love people too, but I am mostly shy and withdrawn so I am for the most part a loner. I'm really not crazy to be in crowds or even to have alot of people at my house. If a delivery guy comes to the house, I make hubby deal with it... thats bad I know but it makes me uncomfortable.

Leenie

BBL to finish this...
Old 01-27-2003, 11:13 AM   #5  

Default Too similar

Hi Kate,

Your story could've been written by me. I have done the exact same thing as you. My hobbies are solitary ventures, friends online primarily.. etc. I really got myself into a fix. I always have been painfully shy and let's face it, it isn't easy to make friends when you are an adult.

I slowly am trying new things.. I may not always enjoy them, but I know it is important to have human contact. I still feel like a third wheel.. single in a world of paired off people and those with kids. I actually did make a new gf last year. What a pleasant surprise it was! We don't get to see each other, but maybe once a month, but the way I figure it is a start.

I am overweight and hearing impaired so it is very easy for me to use either of those or both as an excuse for staying home. My first real venture out in the world was back to church. I still feel different than people, but am not letting that get in the way.

I know how hard it is to get back out there. I still struggle with it every day. It is okay to be alone sometimes, but people are also important. There is all sorts of research on how having friends and close relationships help us to live longer.. an added benefit. Good for you for joining WW. It is a wonderful start.

Hope you'll join us on the dailies.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:47 PM   #6  

Wink

Wow! I am not alone! I thought I was the only person who did not go out to bars, etc. I really don't have any close friends in the real world anymore, just my co-workers, which I don't socialize outside of work with. I am happy as a single, childfree person, sometimes I wish I could reach out, but being painfully shy all my life makes it so hard. Thank you for making me feel less alone!!!
Closed Thread