Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #1  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

Default Tips For A Newbie Jogger?

Hi there,
I have been doing step aerobics at home for the last month and wanted to start branching out. I have been going for small jogs after the step and found that I actually enjoy it! I always looked at the joggers on the street and thought I would never be able to do that. Well I have decided I want to at least try. Currently I can’t jog for more than 3 minutes straight and feel like I am going to pass out at the end of it lol I try to keep in mind I quit smoking at the end of May so my lungs are not in great condition but I am a little ashamed that I can’t keep up a good pace for a respectable amount of time.
How did all of you joggers out there start out? Any tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

google Couch to 5k
its a beginners running program. many MANY people even on this board have had great success with it, and gone on to run half marathons
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Couch to 5k is a great suggestion. The key is really to do what you're able, while pushing yourself a little more each time. I started with running 30 seconds and walking in between for a minute or two. It's important that you don't get to the point where you're stopping completely after a few minutes. After a few more runs, you'll start to get used to reading your body signs and know when you need to walk and when you're ready to jog. Keep increasing your jogging time, even if it's only by a few seconds between each walking session. Eventually your jogging time will increase to 10 minutes, 20 minutes, and so on.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-30-2011 at 04:39 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6

I'm a newbie jogger too. I couldn't jog for more than a few minutes at a clip when I started back in June. Now I'm up to 3+ miles in under 30 minutes with no walking breaks. It can be done. I went on the Runners World website and they gave me a lot of tips to get me started. Good luck.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #5  

If your issues are cardiovascular (which I think they are if it feels like you'll pass out), go slower.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/183/125

Hal Higdon's running programs are free and available online, he offers different levels and for different goals.

Just get out there and add a few minutes everytime, or run to that pole, then next time past that pole to the next pole, then the next pole...a lot of people stop before they should because it's uncomfortable. I have asthma, I'm overweight,and when I run I sound like death warmed over and people look aghast when I run past them, but I'm running.

You can do it. I went from not being able to run for a full minute to a half marathon in 5 months. It takes dedication, but the rewards are immense.
Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Hey! Just so you know, when I started running at 268, I couldn't run more than 30 seconds at a time. I also smoked when i started running. If you keep on trying, and doing your best you will progress. My biggest pieces of advice are: don't try to be extreme-in the beginning don't do more than you can handle. Slow and steady wins the race. Also, keep on keeping on!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote