Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #1  

Red face Genovive Weight Loss Program

Has anyone tried the new Genovive Weight Loss Program (using a DNA profile). It seems pretty pricey?
4467cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #2  
it's always something

I don't know what the cost is, because logging in to view the prices requires me to give over all of my personal details including date of birth, weight, address, ethnicity, and medical background

But I can tell you that a diet based on supposed DNA results is not something we recommend. No matter what they send you, you'll lose weight because you will be sent a basic low calorie prepackaged food plan. If you stick with it, you'll lose weight. If you stick with just about any diet plan you will lose weight. The trick is finding a diet plan that you enjoy because that's the diet you'll stick with.

If you have viewed their menu and tried their foods and think you can stick with it and want to pay whatever they are charging, then you'll be fine.

They'll use your height, weight, gender, and the medical background (food allergies or diabetes etc) that you provide during registration to determine the best calorie range for you.

If you are interested in prepackaged food plans, my advice is to check out all of the food delivery services and see which sounds the tastiest plan that fits best in your budget.

Good luck!!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #3  

Default More information on DNA and Diets

Thank you for your interest and inquiry in GenoVive. I would like the opportunity to provide some clarification on the previous post.

Regarding your comment about the DNA results: the field of nutrigenomics—the study of how different foods may interact with our bodies’ specific genes—plays a critical role in the GenoVive weight management program. Scientific research shows that each individual’s DNA variations determine the way in which the body regulates fat and carbohydrate intake, metabolizes calories and responds to exercise. That’s why certain diets work for some, but not everyone.

GenoVive harnesses the knowledge of DNA genotyping to design a diet customized to the individual’s genetic makeup, based on the information from their genetic variations about their body’s ability to process carbohydrates, fats and proteins. It’s not just the amount of calories consumed that’s important, but the right amount and type of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins that makes the difference in producing efficient weight loss results.

GenoVive uses the results of an individual’s DNA test, the information from their individual genetic variations, to put together a meal program with the right balance of macronutrients: carbohydrates proteins and fats. The demographic information (gender, age, height and weight) is used to determine the best starting calorie level for weight loss.

Our science team reviewed more than 500 different sources of literature, not only from the field of nutrigenomics but within multiple disciplines, involving a thorough understanding of various metabolic processes that could impact weight management. Through this research we identified and isolated specific gene variants (SNPs) that are sufficiently strong in their effect on weight management and were included in the GenoVive genetic test panel.

If you would like to learn more, you can read this article on the GenoVive website: It Starts With DNA: Nutrigenomics and Weight Loss which also contains links to some clinical study references.

For your reference, our program is $149.99 for the DNA test, and $599.99 per month for the full customized meal program, including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, daily multivitamin and Omega-3 supplements, a multi-level exercise program and our online support community.

You can also visit GenoVive.com for our contact information including our email, phone number and a comprehensive FAQ section.

Sincerely,

San San Ng, PhD, MB (ASCP) CM
Director of Scientific Affairs, GenoVive
SSNg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #4  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Hmmm.....advertising plug?

I agree. IMO, it's a lot of personal information to give out in this day and age.

There are lots of different tools and calculators that can help a person find the right carb/protein/fat balance as well as micronutrients and they are free.

Last edited by 4star; 09-05-2011 at 04:38 PM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote