South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #1  

Default Has Anyone Been Doing South Beach Long term?

I've been on so many diets, my head is spinning.

I'm sure if I was to go back and look at old posts, I could probably count 10 different eating plant...at least. I never stayed with any and made them a lifestyle.

Has anyone been doing this long term? At what point does it become a lifestyle and not just another diet?

I've dieted since I was 13, and the weight always comes back on. I'm still fat. I need something new. To be honest, I attempted SB before but never lasted. I can see now I never gave it a chance. I dusted off the books yesterday, and for some weird reason I saw the eating plan in a different light. Maybe I'm just ready now.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

There are many of us here who are in it for the long run.

I started South Beach back in January of 2004, and plan to follow this lifestyle the rest of my life. It's a healthy and sensible way of eating.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I'm in it for the long run.

I had tried SBD before, and like you didn't stick with it. When I dusted off the book in May of 2009, I was ready and it made sense.

I love this WOL. When I started 5/09 I committed to 6 mos 100% OP. I'm glad I did that. I lost weight quickly (though not every week) and in 6 mos. I was literally a new woman. Felt great...still do.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I started 10/1/2007 and have stuck with it. Like you I tried just about everything out there and lost and regained more times than I can count. This is the only lifestyle that has worked for me. It did help to finally realize that whatever plan I picked, I would need to stick with some variation of it for the rest of my life if I didn't want to regain. South Beach is the one plan I've been able to stick with.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Started January 6, 2008. Been maintaining my weight for over 3 years by following SB principles. I'm not exactly sure when it became a WOL for me after years of following other diets. Probably at least a year. I still have days where I struggle with some food choices, but I know I can always fall back to this and can maintain my loss. Love it! My blood work has never been better!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #6  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: Started SB 12/18/09 334/-/?

Height: 5'6"

I started SB on December 18 09' and never looked back.It changed my life and taught me how to eat for life.
OnaMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #7  

Thanks for your answers. It is really heartening to read such true success stories.

I think something "clicked" this time, because I do realize that I have to stop playing the diet games, find something I can live with the rest of my life, and just do it.

When I started looking through the book it was like seeing the plan with fresh eyes. Instead of thinking of all the foods I can't eat, I looked at the lists realistically, and thought "I can really do this." Also, the fact that I have blood sugar issues and just can't eat high carb anymore really helped me see this is an excellent way of eating.

I started today.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #8  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I discovered SB in the summer of 2007 when I had started to inexplicably pack on some weight (age!) and needed to fit in a dress for a wedding. I had always been interested in a healthy diet--even though I didn't always follow one--and SB just made sense. At that time, I dropped 13 lbs to my goal weight of 129.

Then I got sloppy and my new metabolism means that as soon as I get sloppy the weight comes on fast. When I reached my high weight and knew I had to get serious to put on the brakes, I decided to try calorie counting. With calorie counting I was able to justify all kinds of "treats" like tortilla chips and Snickers bars, a shocking amount of calories' worth. And with calorie counting I started to leave out nutritious things to make room for the treats.

It has been super hard for me to lose weight in the last two years since I am only struggling with 10-15 lbs of extra weight. The only times I have dropped weight is when I am strictly on plan with SB.

For me SB incorporates everything I think is healthy in a diet. I do tweak it a bit. If I were to say what is the ideal diet for me, it is SB without artificial sweeteners and with focus on whole foods (specifically the most nutrient-dense "super foods"), minimizing wheat in particular but not more than one serving of grains a day and mostly vegetarian (for personal reasons, not health) but eating fish occasionally for health reasons.

The best thing that helped me when I am doing well is to focus on all the things you can eat! Really, it's a lot. Sometimes it is more work but that is part of the fun.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #9  

Emma, I hear you. When I was younger the weight could literally drop off me with any diet that was healthy or not. Once I hit 40 that all came to a screeching halt. It's been downhill from there!

I'm so glad to see the success folks have had on this plan. I got out my South Beach books - at the time I was so gung ho, I just bought all the books, cookbooks, etc. Now I'm glad I did. Now it's fun looking through all the recipes and getting ideas. How could I have even thought this way of eating was so restrictive? I guess it's all how you look at things. Attitude is half the battle, and I'm glad I got mine adjusted.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I've been on it long term. Lost the weight and am currently maintaining. SB is great!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #11  

Thanks Zeff. Only day 1, and I can't believe how my hunger is blunted. Usually, I can eat all day long. I hope it's not the placebo effect!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #12  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I started SB back in 2008. Mind you, I'm not at my goal weight, but I've been able to maintain at least a 40 pound weight loss. I have slip ups occasionally, but this is a way of eating I believe I can stick with for the rest of my life.

I can't say that about other plans I've been on. Usually with other plans, I'd lose, but a year or two later, I'd be right back where I started, plus a few pounds.

SB is great...I love it! And this is not to mention the other benefits from south beach, such as good numbers during doctor visits (cholesterol, glucose, etc.), as well as not being tired and sluggish all the time from carb overload.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 08-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #13  

Grneyed, I think maintenance of a 40 lb. weight loss is wonderful. I've never been able to maintain a 40 lb. weight loss in my life.

This is a great eating plan.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #14  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I tried SBD as my first foray into dieting back in 2005. I lost about 20 pounds and then decided to stay on Ph1 for a month more and messed up. Tried 6 other WoE and NONE worked like SBD did. I was always finding a loophole. Like you, I don't think I was ready.

I started again on July 1 and have lost 18 pounds. It's becoming effortless now, which I enjoy. There are times when I think "I can't have that" and move on instead of focusing on the item. It's a huge win for me.

I've traveled now, moved and will be on vacation (cruise) following this WOE. I plan to keep paper logs of my menus (since there won't be internet service on the boat unless I pay for it) and be accountable. It's not a huge thing for me anymore. I just take the foods I love and make them SBD friendly.

I am glad you refocused and can see things differently now! we are here. Let us know if you need anything and chat away!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #15  

Thank you Jenne. Wow, you are a real success story. So glad to see folks are really sticking with this plan. It's definitely a way of life!