General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Brickhouse or Victoria's Secret Model?

I thought it was interesting when I read recently (can't remember where, lol) that the 'ideal body' to be a Victoria's Secret model was: 5'8" tall and 34-24-34. As opposed to that classic song, 'Brickhouse' where the singer cites the perfect woman to be: 36-24-36. I will admit that I don't fall into either catergory. I guess Heidi Klum won't be out of a job anytime soon.

Does hearing these measurements annoy you or not?

For me, I'm still amazed when I hear stuff like this. You would think, in this day and age, that the message in society would be just be yourself. Instead, they are implying that women aren't good enough if they don't fall within these parameters.

I don't have daughters but I have six nieces and the older ones are already worrying about their bodies. It's sad, really. When did being yourself become passe?

Last edited by fitmom; 08-26-2011 at 06:31 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/154/127

Height: 5'3

Having the physical build that allows you to be at a model standard is something you are born with, it is in your genetics...either you are built that way or you aren't. No amount of dieting and working out is going to get me size.

I have a 5 year old daughter, I worry about how she will view herself as she gets older. I am making an effort to be more positive about my body image in front of her. Our young girls of today need all the help they can get.
meg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
I thought it was interesting when I read recently (can't remember where, lol) that the 'ideal body' to be a Victoria's Secret model was: 5'8" tall and 34-24-24. As opposed to that classic song, 'Brickhouse' where the singer cites the perfect woman to be: 36-24-36. I will admit that I don't fall into either catergory. I guess Heidi Klum won't be out of a job anytime soon.

Does hearing these measurements annoy you or not?

For me, I'm still amazed when I hear stuff like this. You would think, in this day and age, that the message in society would be just be yourself. Instead, they are implying that women aren't good enough if they don't fall within these parameters.

I don't have daughters but I have six nieces and the older ones are already worrying about their bodies. It's sad, really. When did being yourself become passe?
By any chance do you mean 34-24-34 (vs. the 24 hip measurement you listed) for a victoria secret's model? Otherwise that's a really drastic lollipop look!

I'm kind of eh about the measurements because I figure the VAST majority of men and women have no clue what those measurements even look like. Besides women who are measuring to lose weight and body builders, how many women actually even know their real measurements?

I must be old because I have no clue who Birkhouse is but I do remember Sir-Mixalot and had to laugh about the line:
Quote:
Cosmo ain't got nothin'
to do with my selection. 36-24-36? Ha ha, only if she's 5'3".
In the end when it comes to body image of our daughters (and nieces and granddaughters and sisters etc) we just have to really reinforce that you can't please everybody and you are beautiful regardless of your body type. It's not something easy to learn and I know I still struggle with this at time but it's an important lesson.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6

Oops, I edited the error. Darn my typing, thanks.

I will agree that we have to reinforce positive body image to our young girls. It took me a lifetime of mentally beating myself up for not fitting the model of "perfect". In my day, Christie Brinkley's look was most sought after.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-26-2011 at 06:54 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

These measurements don't bother me. I don't really see how others' perceptions affect my own body. Some people prefer football but I love to play soccer- I just don't see how the two relate. 34-36-34 is some people's ideal of a the perfect woman, but how does that at all impact me? I couldn't care less

I am short with a curvy build (think Hayden Panettiere). I'll never be anything else and that doesn't bother me at all. It's who I am and I wouldn't really want to be any taller, with a different frame, etc.

I do have an image of what I *want* to look like (about 10 lbs less than I weight right now ), but that is based on what I think best highlights my own body's quirks and features.

Last edited by indiblue; 08-27-2011 at 02:13 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #6  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

The number of opinions about what makes a woman "perfect" is equal to (an possibly greater than) the number of people on the planet who are attracted to women (straight men and not straight women). It is not possible to live up to all of those. All I can do is be the best me that I can be and teach my nieces and daughters (and nephews and sons) to be the best them that they can be.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote