South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #1  
Taking one day at a time!

S/C/G: 135/131/120

Height: 5'2"

Default The Green Monster

Hi Guys

You probably do not remember me but I was on here last year. I did really great on the program and for the most part never really got off the program...but just didn't make good food decisions. I am back tho because I have a new weight goal and just need to get it back into gear and lose the cravings! Anyway...I keep seeing the green monster everywhere but have no idea how to make it. I see the ingredients listed but no real measurements. I have tried to search the forums for an actual recipe but I guess I am not so bright...and can't find anything!

HELP
sbweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #2  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Hi! I may not be much help since I never measure for smoothies since I stopped counting calories.

Mine today was
  • 1 c. yogurt
  • 1/2 c. wild blueberries (I also often use 1/2 banana and/or 1 peach/nectarine). Frozen fruit will give you a colder, thicker smoothie.
  • 1 big pickle-sized cucumber (entirely optional, I just have a lot right now. Someone mentioned somewhere throwing in raw zucchini)
  • ~5 stiff Romaine-type lettuce leaves (substitute spinach, kale, etc. which are more typical but I am trying to use up what the garden is giving me. A big handful usually works for me. The one time I stuffed the blender full of spinach it was pretty spinach-y)
  • ~1Tablespoon Torani sugar free vanilla syrup (you can use any sweetener to taste; with some fruits esp bananas you don't need any)
  • Splash of almond or soy or cow milk if needed to blend; depends on the thickness of your yogurt and the juiciness of your fruit.
  • (Other additions I have included in various versions: 1 scoop protein powder, ~1 Tablespoon psyllium husk, ~1-2 Tablespoons cocoa powder.)
This made a LOT. I have been drinking it all day. But it is really just 1 cup of yogurt with some fruits and veggies.

I have also made a Phase 1 version with no fruit, but with cocoa powder and maybe peanut butter/peanut flour. The cocoa powder hides the spinach .

Have fun with this! It is really hard to go wrong. The color is kinda weird sometimes, like with spinach and nectarines but it tastes great.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #3  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

Oh, here is a more classic green monster. REALLY green

And here are a bunch of recipes on a site I found when I first decided to try this...
Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #4  
Taking one day at a time!

S/C/G: 135/131/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Emma!!!! This is what I have been looking for. I need to get some Natural PB and STAT...Still in P1 so no fruit
sbweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

From what I read, the green monster is vegan - so no yogurt. I do add it to mine, because I like dairy...as do many on here. I think some of the base of the real one is bananas. My classic is yogurt, banana, blueberry, 1/2 pack of stevia, and a handful of kale or spinach.

I was surprised...the kale or spinach doesn't deter me much!! I must not add as much spinach as Emma D does, just a handful.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

I'm really interested in trying this, but I'm on Phase 1. Would this work:

1 c nonfat plain yogurt
2 handfuls spinach
2 tbs natural peanut butter
2 drops vanilla extract
1 packet sweet & low

and would that be okay for breakfast? does the peanut butter count as enough protein for a meal?
zelibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #7  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwynnB View Post
From what I read, the green monster is vegan - so no yogurt. I do add it to mine, because I like dairy...as do many on here. I think some of the base of the real one is bananas. My classic is yogurt, banana, blueberry, 1/2 pack of stevia, and a handful of kale or spinach.

I was surprised...the kale or spinach doesn't deter me much!! I must not add as much spinach as Emma D does, just a handful.
How funny, I never noticed that they were specifically vegan, I thought people just called smoothies with greens in them green monsters. Though my first clue should have been they usually appear on vegan sites I'm always learning something new here! I often use soy yogurt so it is still vegan. But that wouldn't be *raw* - i noticed a lot of them are part of raw diets...

And I mostly use only a big handful of greens. The time I put a blender full of spinach it was very spinach-y. I've never tasted the greens otherwise except when I used way too much of my bolted lettuce from the garden - it was crazy bitter. Some of the online recipes mention being able to taste the kale and I've never noticed that.

For any of you who blend chia seeds in a smoothie, does they get chopped up or is it still grainy? Do they swell up like the unblended seeds? Probably my regular old-school blender wouldn't chop up the seeds anyway but I was just wondering how it works for others.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #8  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelibeli View Post
I'm really interested in trying this, but I'm on Phase 1. Would this work:

1 c nonfat plain yogurt
2 handfuls spinach
2 tbs natural peanut butter
2 drops vanilla extract
1 packet sweet & low

and would that be okay for breakfast? does the peanut butter count as enough protein for a meal?
I have had a version similar to that many times on Phase 1. Especially if you use Greek yogurt it will have LOTS of protein. I have also added plain protein powder in the past to boost protein.

You might want to start with one handful of spinach and see how it tastes since there isn't much else to cover the flavor (chocolate or fruit...). It might be fine ... But you can't unblend it once it's in there Either way, I hope it is delicious for you!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Emma, I think the chia stays grainy, although some of it may get pulverized.
I usually put two handfuls of spinach in my smoothies and have never been able to taste it. I like to put about 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese in mine, too, and it gives it a nice, cheesecakey flavor.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I just call mine a green smoothie although I never add any yogurt or milk to mine. I have a vita mix so I can blend anything.
I start with a chunk of ginger root
add any combination of veggies-right now it's zucchini since I have so much in my garden
I usually add a chunk of cucumber
Some type of fruit-a whole apple, raspberries, a peach, blueberries or any combination that I happen to have.

After I blend that smooth, I add two products:-1 scoop each

Peaceful Planet-The Supreme Meal-soy free protein
http://www.nutraceutical.com/search/..._index=8651254

Vibrant Health-Green Vibrance
http://www.vibranthealth.us/?p2=/mod...category_id=86

In Dr Oz's book, "You: On a Diet" one strategy he suggested is "eating automatic", picking at least one meal a day and having the same food every day. I adopted this strategy for my breakfast because am "on the go". I started with the 2 products and tweaked my vitamins with the aid of a nutritionist. It has worked quite well for me, yet I'm sure others might find it quite boring.

I bike and swim nearly every morning. I drink it with my vitamins and am able to hop on my bike and go.

This is my breakfast 365 and I never get tired of it because it's always different. I don't have a morning snack and am never hungry before lunch.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Anyone have a veggie only one they enjoy? I'm going to do phase I for a bit, and should drop fruit.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote