Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #1  

Unhappy Help! Seems I've reached a plateau.

This is my 4th week on Medifast. I have lost 12 lbs in the first 3 weeks. This week I have lost nothing. I have 15lbs. to go until I am at my goal weight. Can someone give me any suggestions? I don't want to get discouraged and give up!
famof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

A weight plateau doesn't mean there's anything at all wrong, or that you've stopped losing fat. What's more likely is that hormones or other causes are adjusting your water weight as well, so that you had the illusion of losing more weight the last couple of weeks, or the illusion of not losing this week.

Example 1:
week 1- lost 3lbs fat, 1lb water (scale says -4)
week 2- lost 3lbs fat, 1lb water (scale says -4)
week 3- lost 3lbs fat, 1lb water (scale says -4)
week 4- lost 3 lbs fat, gained 3lbs water (scale says 0 lost)

If you've been steadily losing your water weight, your body might be adjusting so that it stays properly hydrated. Physical activity and menstruation cycles also increase the water in your body (temporarily).

If you average your weeks out, you've lost an average of 3lbs/week, including the "stall week." Since you say you have so little left to lose, you're probably a small person. Here's an example of what it would take to lose 4lbs/week for a small person:

Consumed: 1000/day (typical for medifast)
BMR: 1400 (what your burn simply by existing).
Deficit without activity/exercise= 400 per day

To lose 4lbs/week you need to have a 2000 calorie deficit per day. That means you would have to burn an additional 1600 calories per day beyond your diet.

This would mean you would have to do the equivalent of the following exercises to be losing so much:
-elliptical, heavy effort, 3-4 hours/day
-stationary bike, moderate effort, 3 hours/day
-jogging 5mph, 3.5hours/day
-light office work: 17 hours/day
*(I suspect that these numbers calculate the calories burned including BMR, although they do not say, which would mean you'd need significantly more exercise to make up for it).

So if you're putting in this amount of exercise per day, and not getting those 4lbs/week you wanted, then you should talk to someone. However, if you're not, then there's nothing wrong with losing an average of 3lbs/week on the plan you're on. You may actually expect it to average out in the long run to 2lbs/week, or even 1lb/week, which may mean some frustrating weigh-ins in the future, but will average out to a good, steady loss.

It's very common for featherweights to lose 1lb/week, even with exercise.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-25-2011 at 01:55 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My advice would be to stay with the plan, and make sure you are doing everything according to directions. Don't try to skimp on the lean & green, make sure you weigh and measure the amounts, and be very careful with the allowed snacks. Drink all the water you're supposed to--that also helps.

One week without any weight change doesn't mean anything. Keep going!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #4  

Thank you for your replies! Great info! I will persevere
famof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 288.2/225/160

Height: 5'7"

I also find it helpful to measure myself when the scale doesn't move. I did that just today, and was surprised to find that I'd dropped another 5 inches overall despite very small losses on the scale. I'd been feeling kind of meh about my progress, and measuring definitely improved my mood.
wannablean is offline   Reply With Quote