Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/213/160

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Plateau in WEEK 2!!

I have been on program for 14 days and have already hit a plateau. I lost 4.5 pounds during the pre-conditioning phase and another 3 pounds after that for a total of 7.5 pounds in the first 7 days. The last 7 days, I've been stuck at the same weight, and actually gained .5 pounds at today's weigh-in. I'm doing the program with my boyfriend, we eat basically the same thing (except he cheats occasionally and I don't!). He has lost 13 pounds already, including 2 more today! I've done diets on my own where I've counted calories and have showed a loss every week. Has anyone else had this happen so early on the program?? It is definitely frustrating and I am really starting to wonder why I am wasting money on these drinks and their counseling when I'm not losing the 2-5 pounds guaranteed by the program.

Any thoughts or help?? I'm so frustrated
HokieGirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #2  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Take a deep breath and calm down. Believe me, I can understand the frustration. However, you've lost 7 lbs. in two weeks-- that's an average of 3.5 per week, which is 2-5 lbs. per week. It's only week 2, so you need to stick with it and give it some more time. Did you get the paper in your starting packet about plateaus? It says that when you hit a plateau (usually somewhere within the first month of starting program) that your fat cells are holding onto water because they don't want to shrink up. Eventually, they'll let go of the water, and you should see a big loss.

Now, I don't know how much of all that I really believe, but I do know that if you stay on your program, you will lose the weight, and it should be faster than calorie counting. This is the second time I've done this, and I promise you, it does work.

And as for dieting with your boyfriend-- it is always a very bad idea to compare your weight loss with anyone, but especially with a man. They lose MUCH faster than women. If you keep comparing numbers, you will almost always lose the competition, and it will drive you crazy, so you need to stop that right now. If you can't mentally let go of his numbers, then tell him you don't want to know a number and explain why (frustration, etc.). You can be happy for him, but it will stll make the process all the more frustrating for you, so you really need to let that go.

Stay on plan for at least another week, and you will most likely see a big drop. If not for some weird reason, talk to your center. However, the worst thing you can do is get frustrated and start cheating because then you really will stop the big loss that is probably coming right around the corner. Good luck!
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

If you average it out, you actually are losing the amount guaranteed by the program. Haven't you ever seen the biggest loser? The dread week two stall? Yep, it's real! Don't worry, things will go back to normal soon.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/148/130

Height: 5'3"

My center just explained plateau's as a good thing! That shows that your cells in your body are changing shape. A cell is usually round and filled with fat, as the fat gets flushed out with water, the cell becomes all mishapen like a raisen. The cell will suck up any water in your system to try and regain its shape again. WATER weighs more than fat that is airy. Pretty soon all those water cells will flush out and you'll have a big loss.

I absolutely know this to be true due to all my nutrition and exercise science classes throughout college.

Hope this encourages you and explains the plateau process. Your doing great!
InfiinityFreshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieGirl05 View Post
I have been on program for 14 days and have already hit a plateau. I lost 4.5 pounds during the pre-conditioning phase and another 3 pounds after that for a total of 7.5 pounds in the first 7 days. The last 7 days, I've been stuck at the same weight, and actually gained .5 pounds at today's weigh-in. I'm doing the program with my boyfriend, we eat basically the same thing (except he cheats occasionally and I don't!). He has lost 13 pounds already, including 2 more today! I've done diets on my own where I've counted calories and have showed a loss every week. Has anyone else had this happen so early on the program?? It is definitely frustrating and I am really starting to wonder why I am wasting money on these drinks and their counseling when I'm not losing the 2-5 pounds guaranteed by the program.

Any thoughts or help?? I'm so frustrated
This is exactly what happened to me the first couple weeks.
Preconditioning down 5 lbs, 2nd week up 1lb, 3rd week down 3.5. They also explained my gain as possible water weight. Believe me I was wondering the same thing too...why the heck am I wasting my money. Also in another thread you see the comments about weighing in twice and my reason for disliking it falls in week 3. I weighed in at the middle of the week (not my usual day) lost 4 lbs, then weighed in on my normal day and gained .5 lb. That gain of a .5 lb. bummed me out even though I actually lost 3.5 that week. Hang in there and it will start coming off.
I also am in the same boat as my husband is following this program with me too. He eats the same foods as me at dinner only though and he doesn't take their supplements, etc. He even adds cheese or eats more starch, so on and so on. He's lost more but the reality of it is he will. Men lose weight faster than women. Don't let the discourage you. You can do this, especially with the great support from the ladies here. Just keep your eye on the prize...YOUR goal!!
Fluffy in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 176.5/158/140

Height: 5'4''

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I am in the same place as HokieGirl and was ready to quit. I will start the metaslim menu tomorrow and hope to see a drop. TOM has not come yet so I hope water is lingering. Please keep the advice and support flowing it is a HUGE help!
valarieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/213/160

Height: 5'6"

Thanks to all for your encouragement! I know I shouldn't compare my weight loss with anyone else's but it just made me that much more frustrated last night! My center told me to switch up some foods, eat berries for my fruit, don't skip any starch, etc. I'm going to give it a try and hope to see a difference! It's so encouraging to hear other people going through the same thing and breaking through the plateau.

I really appreciate all your help!! Good luck to all!
HokieGirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/165

OH believe me I completely understand about comparing my lose to others. My husband drops weight so fast if he puts his mind to it and the first week I was so pissed. But now he's actually eating a few bad things to slow up his weight loss...what a great guy!! But I still see his loss is more than mine.
Don't get discouraged and stick with it. Someone always says here (sorry can't remember who) I didn't gain it in a day I shouldn't expect to lose it in a day. Or something to that effect.
Good luck, you CAN do this.
Fluffy in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #9  
PreCond. June 21, 2011

S/C/G: 163/144/130

Height: 5'3

HokieGirl~ Hang In There! Plateaus can be very discouraging, but what a lot of us have discovered is that we continue to lose inches no matter what the scale shows. Your center probably did your measurements, but you might want to keep track of them at home too. In the beginning, I took mine every 2 weeks and they literally melted off!! It was the encouragement (and still is!) that I need during the slow weight-loss times.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

~Connie~
ConnieInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/218/120

Hokiegirl

I am going through the exact same thing also. I have lost 13 lbs in the first two weeks preconditioning and then 1st week on the program. I went to wi today and I was up exactly .5 pounds. They did measure me and told me I had lost ten inches so that was a plus but I was bummed about the gain. A good friend of mine told me that if you hit a plateau stay away from the cheese for awhile and do the egg whites for breakfast This seemed to help her. Hang in there I totally feel your pain but this seems to be quite normal
PTswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #11  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

I can't believe I hit a plateau in week 2. Last time I lost weight, I didn't hit a plateau until week 4. I am sticking with my diet plan but it is just frustrating not to "see" the result of all my hard work on the scale.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 5"

Attached is the guide I use to bust out of a plateau. I've revised it slightly since I originally posted it. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plateau Busting Tips.pdf (457.8 KB, 79 views)
JenB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #13  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

JenB92,

Thanks very much for posting all these great tips. Any ideas why some of us hit the plateau so soon?
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/201/150

Thank you all so much for the encouragement... I am in the same boat, about ready to go kicking and screaming because of no weight loss since 9/2 which was day 12 of my program. Tomorrow will be 2 full weeks if I stay at the same weight. I have been almost 100% on program, I missed a couple of fruits at lunch but didnt eat more that I was supposed to thats why I am so discouraged. One of the problems I have been having is with constipation, but I think I have finally overcome that hurdle also. Keeping my fingers crossed for a loss tomorrow at WI.
Electra0405 is offline   Reply With Quote