Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default IBS, Insulin Resistant Plan Help

I have IBS and I've recently found out I'm insulin resistant as well. I'd like to implement a diet that will help with both conditions.
Since January I've basically been following a low cal/low fat diet, I try to stay away from processed foods. I guess with IR you need to follow a low glycemic diet, but I'm really not sure of that. My doctor just told me to stay away from refined products, which I try to do anyway. Can anyone give any suggestions for a good plan to follow that isn't complicated? I try to live by the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid).
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #2  
Hap
next stop: fit & fabulous

S/C/G: 181.8/174.4/142

Height: 5'4"

I have IBS & PCOS (which is related to insulin resistance but I tested negative for that). IBS is hard because it is kind of a catch-all diagnosis so what works for one might not work for another. You'll need to find your personal trigger foods. That being said, gluten & dairy are often triggers for IBS symptoms for many so it might be worth playing around with that - go off of it for a few weeks, then add it back in and see if symptoms return. This is what my doctor suggested and I discovered I am gluten intolerant. It sucks to give up gluten but is great to be virtually symptom free!

For both of them though reducing carbs (i.e. sugar) should help. A diabetic meal plan would be beneficial if you want to look for recipes or cookbooks.
Hap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #3  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

You might look at the Ideal Protein website. It is low carb and works for insulin resistance, I don't know what IBS is.,
I have been doing IP and my blood sugar and cholesterol went way down.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #4  
Hap

And I just have to say it looks like you've done fantastic on your weight loss, Maile! Great job!

IBS = Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #5  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Oh, yes. I did forget to mention I do know what my IBS triggers are in my original post. I've had Ibs for years. Anything fried, greasy & oily, raw veggies, spinach, lettuce, but I can eat lettuce and raw veggies in smaller amounts, no big salads , Whole fat milk is also a trigger. So basically I need to eat low fat and cook my vegetables for IBS.

I looked at the IP diet and noticed it's something you have to pay for. I kinda promised myself about a year ago that I wouldn't pay for anymore diets since I've spent thousands of dollars over the years for different diets, I just cant do it anymore. But thank you for telling me about it!

I guess this is something I might just need to do research on. I need a plan that I can live with realistically. I need to be able to eat real food and something my family can eat as well because I don't cook separate meals for them. My family is very patient with me, and they will try anything I cook.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #6  
Hap

If you want book recs South Beach Diet & SugarBusters might be good places to start. Probably have them at your local library but you can also find out a lot about them here and elsewhere online.