Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #1  

Question Confused and irritable

Good morning

I started Atkins 3 weeks ago after reading the book and getting all the supplies together, getting a journal and joining this forum for support.

I lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks and another 4 lbs in the 3rd week and was ecstatic with joy

I had a serious problem though that is a bit embarassing I became seriously constipated even when I was drinking around a gallon of water per day and eating salads with spinach and lettuce. It got so bad that I had to quit the diet.

My doctor had to give me a laxitive that they use to clean people out for impending surgery I told my doctor that I am low carbing and he suggested 3 servings of metamucil per day which has worked BUT my weight loss has come to a stand still even though I am following the diet closely... I read my journal and the only thing that had changed from the first 3 weeks was the Metamucil... So this morning I finally read the nutritional values and notice that there is 5g carbs per serving!

Help, I do not want to quit low carbing but I am at a loss of what to do. I take organic Flaxseed oil supliments, stool softeners and eat salads every single day but still get constipated. What can I do?

Thank you, sorry so long
SunnyBeachbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Are the carbs from SUGAR? or FIBER? if they ARE from sugar, i guarentee there is a sugar free version of the same type product SOMEWHERE (because of diabetics) if its from FIBER, than thats not the problem... your veggies have fibrous carbs in them
FYI, low carbing gives dieters a GEAT jump start to weightloss, but they (in GENERAL) tend to stall/plateau faster
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

If you can find a way to add in some psyllium husks that would likely help.

My best stand by is a hot cup of coffee - usually gives me a nice clean out.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155.4/133.4/105

Height: 5'0"

I was having a similar problem on Atkins while I was in induction. I ate plenty of veggies (lettuce, cabbage, romaine, spinach, cucumber, zucchini) with a good amount of protein. I took 2 tsp of psyllium husk w/8oz of water per tsp & followed that with another 8 ounce of water everyday. I drink about 96 oz of water a day. Took my usual vitamins. Cut caffeine out too. Exercised for 1 hour everyday. Then the worst thing happened, i didn't have a bowel movement for 7 days. That has never happened to me. I'm not the type that goes everyday, although i wish i could, but I do go at least 3 times a week when I'm on a diet. Eventually, i had to go buy a laxative, which i hate taking, and everything came out. I was very constipated and my stools were as hard as bricks. I stopped taking psyllium husk and my system is back to normal. I don't know what went wrong but I'm afraid to add psyllium husk back into my diet. I took it because Dr. Atkins recommended it.
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by goob View Post
I was having a similar problem on Atkins while I was in induction. I ate plenty of veggies (lettuce, cabbage, romaine, spinach, cucumber, zucchini) with a good amount of protein. I took 2 tsp of psyllium husk w/8oz of water per tsp & followed that with another 8 ounce of water everyday. I drink about 96 oz of water a day. Took my usual vitamins. Cut caffeine out too. Exercised for 1 hour everyday. Then the worst thing happened, i didn't have a bowel movement for 7 days. That has never happened to me. I'm not the type that goes everyday, although i wish i could, but I do go at least 3 times a week when I'm on a diet. Eventually, i had to go buy a laxative, which i hate taking, and everything came out. I was very constipated and my stools were as hard as bricks. I stopped taking psyllium husk and my system is back to normal. I don't know what went wrong but I'm afraid to add psyllium husk back into my diet. I took it because Dr. Atkins recommended it.
Dr. Atkins recommends using psyllium husk as supplementation (which I would take to mean if you are not eating enough veggies & drinking enough water). Since you stated that you were eating plenty of veggies and drinking 96 oz water a day, adding the psylluim was unnecessary. Dr. Atkins cautioned that when it comes to fiber, less is more. Gas, flatulence and constipation can result from too much.
Hope this clears up any confusion
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #6  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Not getting enough fats/oils can contribute to constipation as well. The Metamucil may have some sweetener, fillers or flavoring added to it so the plain psyllium husks might be better if you need more fiber.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

The principle behind metamucil and psyllium husks is that it is a fiber that humans cannot digest, so the colon keeps moving it along....and the increased peristalsis makes you go regularly.
However..............for many, it just adds bulk and causes even more of a problem.

My advice would be to take 2 colace (a stool softener) every day or even a newer, better one called amitzia. Colace is OTC but amitzia is still a prescription medication.
And then, if you have any incidents of serious constipation, take (add) some senokot. It contains senna which is natural and not a chemical.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Magnesium Citrate. 400 mg before bed and I go every morning like a charm.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #9  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

A few years ago, I too got very constipated on Atkins (like 7 days, no go, constipated), which I thought was odd as all I was eating was things that used to make me poo when I was also eating carbs...meat, cheese, veggies galore. My doctor recommended stool softener, plus 2 tbs of vegetable oil at bedtime. That was literally 'the hardest to swallow', greasy and gross, going against all that we'd been taught our whole lives; pure fat=bad! But after a strong cup of black coffee the next morning and a quick walk around the block, the offending constipation literally slid right out. Every time I got constipated again, I'd dose myself with that and presto magico-relief!

I personally like the idea of sugar free Metamucil better prevent the constipation in the first place. Husband and I are starting Atkins tomorrow after advice from his doctor and I think we'll just have that are part of our routine.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 09-05-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

I had the same issues...I added psyllium husks and cut back on cheese. Another thing that works for me is exercise...it's like clockwork.
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote