Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 129/129/113

Height: 5'2"

Default Phasing Out Before a Vacation

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I've been 100% OP for nearly 5 weeks. In 1 1/2 weeks, I'm heading to the Dominican Republic for an all-inclusive week long vacation. When I started the program, my coach told me that 2 weeks leading up to the vacation, she would put me in phase 3 to re-introduce carbs, then I would return to phase 1 upon my return. I told her that I will not go crazy with my eating on vacation and I will still try to make wise choices, but that I will be enjoying the alcholohic drinks (love the pina coladas!) and will definitely be eating carbs. It's my first all-inclusive and I want to fully enjoy it.

However, last week my coach said that she would NOT put me into phase 3, and that I should stay in phase 1 until I leave. Does this seem right to you? Will I feel ill on my vacation from diving right into carbs and sugar? Again, I won't go crazy (definitely NO desserts), but I will enjoy myself.
jennylauren19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #2  

I have the same dilemma! I have been 100% compliant with the program for 3 weeks, about half way done with my weight loss. Going on an all-inclusive vacation in 3 weeks and want to phase out properly. I'm planning to stick to the protocol as much as possible, i don't drink but I do like fruit and want to enjoy the vacation as much as possible. I will ask my coach today what's the right way to phase out and I'm planning to go back to phase 1 when I come back. Why would she not put you on phase 3? It does not make sense to me!
zozylya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #3  
Started IP on 1/3/2011

S/C/G: 308/308/150

Height: 5' 2"

Just did this in June. So weird why coaches are so different. I find it annoying..lol. (please laugh). Anyway headed to Napa for a week in June and did 2 weeks of Phase 2 and 1 week of Phase 3 before my trip. My coach suggested this and it did work for me. I ate and drank my way through Napa and I have no shame telling you that....and guess what? I never put a pound on. Hopped right back on Phase 1 when I got back my WI was the same weigh as the week prior to me leaving. This is what worked for me. Enjoy your vacations ladies!
Beachbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #4  

Beachbella! Thank you so much for posting this! It made me feel so much better! I was going to suggest to my coach to do Phase 2 for 2 weeks ( with no restricted foods) and Phase 3 for 1 week to reintroduce carbs into my system and "wake up" the pancreas. I do want to enjoy my vacation and hope that it will work for me as well as it did for you!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #5  

Beachbella, did you feel ill for the first few days when you started eating normal? was the transition hard? how was it to go back into phase 1? Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I also have a big vacation planned for next month and have already started talking to my coach about what to do. Purrfect is actually on a vacation now and her coach had her do 1 week at P2 and 1-2 weeks at P3 before she went. She was going to try to follow a more P4 plan, but with a few more cheats.

This is also the plan I am leaning towards when I go on vacation. I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to go from P1 to vacation madness. I think you / we need to wake our pancreases up slowly to see the most benefit and hopefully gain the least amount of weight while enjoying ourselves.

It is also my intention to go back on P1 upon my return to finish the job up. But I am really trying to get as close to my goal as possible before I head out. I have about 5-1/2 weeks until I go and hoping for at least 10# lost before I head out. That will put me within 10# of my goal.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone for your advice. I just contacted my coach and told her that I did a lot of internet research and it all suggested to move into phase 3 before I leave. She really insisted that I stick to phase 1 until my vacation, because her reasoning is that I would be off of protocol for 3 weeks (2 leading up, plus the vacation) instead of just 1. I guess that makes sense. I told her that I would try to stick to phase 4, with a few more cheats, and she just insisted that I drink as much water as possible when away, continue with the supplements and also try to have an IP packet or 2 per day.

I still don't know what to do, but I guess I will hesitantly stick to what my coach is telling me. She (and everyone at the clinic) is really helpful and seem to be knowledgable. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #8  
Started IP on 1/3/2011

Hi Zozylya

I may be different but honestly I did not feel sick or have any issues. When I tell you I drank bottles of wine that week... I DRANK bottles of wine... I was never gassy or had any stomach issues. My body honestly did ok. One thing I should have mentioned earlier was my coach suggested I stay away from pasta while I was away so I did. But I enjoyed everything. I made sure I was still drinking my water daily and taking my supplements. Those 2 things did not change while I was on my planned cheat week. I had no issues hopping back on. It is mind over matter with me and this diet. I did not feel hungry and had no cravings once I was back on (which I thought I would). I hoped back on Phase 1 that Sunday following my vac I weighed that Friday and my weigh was the same as before I left. I felt good about that since my coach said do not be surprised if you get a 3 or 5 lb weight gain he did say it would be water and not fat. 2nd week of being back from vacation I was down 7lb. Again every coach is different but this is what i learned from him. Good luck and I can not say it enough ENJOY your vacation and when you get back jump back right on.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbella View Post
Hi Zozylya

I may be different but honestly I did not feel sick or have any issues. When I tell you I drank bottles of wine that week... I DRANK bottles of wine... I was never gassy or had any stomach issues. My body honestly did ok. One thing I should have mentioned earlier was my coach suggested I stay away from pasta while I was away so I did. But I enjoyed everything. I made sure I was still drinking my water daily and taking my supplements. Those 2 things did not change while I was on my planned cheat week. I had no issues hopping back on. It is mind over matter with me and this diet. I did not feel hungry and had no cravings once I was back on (which I thought I would). I hoped back on Phase 1 that Sunday following my vac I weighed that Friday and my weigh was the same as before I left. I felt good about that since my coach said do not be surprised if you get a 3 or 5 lb weight gain he did say it would be water and not fat. 2nd week of being back from vacation I was down 7lb. Again every coach is different but this is what i learned from him. Good luck and I can not say it enough ENJOY your vacation and when you get back jump back right on.
Thanks for the insight. When you did the 2 weeks of P2 before your vacation did you still lose weight? I am thinking of doing the way you did it, which is also the way Purrfect's coach advised her to do it. I want to go away and be able to ENJOY but inflict the least amount of damage as possible. I am fully prepared for a 5# gain

I am going still try to do IP packets for b-fast since I will be staying with family and I plan on bringing some bars for snacks while we are out and about. I also certainly would have no problem eating a protein and veggies for lunch and having a more splurge-y dinner. I mean, who really knows until I get there, but I feel like if I could follow this kind of plan, the damage would be minimal.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I went right from phase 2 to vacation. I tried to stick to low carb choices, but at kid places sometimes there are only burgers!
I did have very bad gas and stomach pain...I think I might be gluten intolerant! Plus my old headaches and eczema came back, but that could be over indulgence of white wine and hotel detergent!

Bring some gas x and pepto just in case!

Ps-I did gain 5 pounds, but it came off very fast back on phase 1/2.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #11  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

HI guys...I am in the beginning of my vacation after phasing off with 2 and then 3. Phase 3 was a joy! I still lost weight, too.

Now that I'm starting to be less strict with food, I let myself cheat big for a dinner last night. While it was alot of fun and I loved the indulgence, I did absolutely feel poorly physically. I had absolutely no trouble sticking to a phase 1 day today, because I wanted to feel better. And, I do.

I think I'll still enjoy the food and drink here, but I will do so in more of a moderate way. That's probably the idea with IP anyway, modify past behaviors that put me into an overweight body to begin with. There's an easier way...kinder to the body.

Let me know how you all do.

I think phasing off was wise, tho...
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #12  
Started IP on 1/3/2011

Hi Jenny:

Yes for some odd reason those 2 weeks I was on Phase 2 I lost 1lb more each week. Made no nense to me. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #13  

Hi everyone! I talked to my coach yesterday, and he told me to phase out doing the Cellulite protocol, which is:
1. Complete at least 2 weeks on phase 1
2. Do 4 days on Phase 1 with NO RESTRICTED FOODS
3. Do Phase 3 for 5 days only with restricted foods
4. Do Phase 3 for 5 days only.

This makes sense to me, you are slowly reintroducing carbs into your body and not shocking your pancreas. I think that's what I'm gonna do.

Hope it helps!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #14  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Wow, it is so confusing that so many coaches and IP users have such different ideas of how to do the phase off for a vacation. I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to consult with the originator of the plan to see what his advice would be. My GF who is a MD and recommends the plan has access to the national director of IP. I will ask her to see if they can provide a hard guide for this situation, as it is rather common.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrfect View Post
Wow, it is so confusing that so many coaches and IP users have such different ideas of how to do the phase off for a vacation. I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to consult with the originator of the plan to see what his advice would be. My GF who is a MD and recommends the plan has access to the national director of IP. I will ask her to see if they can provide a hard guide for this situation, as it is rather common.

Thanks Purrfect! I still don't know what to do. I'm leaving in 9 days, and I really think I might move into phase 3, even against the strong advice of my coach. I'm just really scared that my body will react negatively to the introduction of carbs and sugar, and that I will feel bloated and uncomfortable while on vacation. Arrgghhh, I'm so confused!