Old 08-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #1  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Default NSV - Completed My First Ever 10k!!

Hi everyone!

Sorry to clog up the board with my ramblings, but I feel happy (and sore) and want to scream from the rooftops that I completed my first ever 10k race!

There were about 200 contestants and let me tell you - these guys were not fvcking around! I think I was one of the few who just looked like average every day people (and one of the few overweight people too). The rest were all part of running clubs, looked very much in shape and it was very intimidating. The track itself was rural which was nice, had good scenery to distract me! There were some challenging parts of it, including a few steep hills both up and down.

When we started people went sprinting off and I felt very awkward just taking my time and jogging the first 2 miles. I was actually last for a lot of the race. The route was a loop, and there was a point where it crossed back on itself. Just past the 2 mile mark and heading up the rear I crossed with a guy who was in the lead heading BACK. He was so so fast it was crazy!

When I hit the 3 mile mark I felt like giving up - I felt a bit disheartened that I was in last and I just started to feel really sick and tired. But I quickly slapped myself metaphorically speaking - I didn't want to give up on something I had been training for for 7 weeks, I didn't want to tell my family who had come to support me and I didn't want to come crawling onto the 3FC boards saying that I failed!! So I took that little cup of water from the 3 mile water lady, I drank 10% of it and spilt 90% of it over myself and persisted through!

I managed to come in 2nd to last with a time of 1:11:20 (on my watch, might be a bit different to the officials). On my way in a lot of the runners who had finished were applauding me and encouraging me to the finish line - which I thought was super awesome. I got my medal which I was over the moon about, I thought I might have got a t-shirt but wearing a medal just felt amazing!

I'm not too disheartened about the position I came in, because 90% of the contestants were serious runners and considering I did 5 miles during my training in 1 hour 9 minutes I'm proud of the time I did it in. Also, what really mattered to me was that I didn't give up, even though I was seriously considering it, and I pushed through to finish what I had started.

But what's important to me is in the 7 week training period I've lost a total of 6 lbs, 0.8 inches from pudge and 0.5 inches from boobage! So I'm hoping to continue training to keep the results coming in.

Now time to train for that half marathon! =D

My Mum took a few pictures on her camera, but I took a picture of me with my medal. Happy times!

Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/188/147

COngrats such an awesome feeling, i ran my first 10k in May and at times its hard..but the rush after you cross the finish line is unreal..

Enjoy the adrenalin rush for the day.. also you'll see a nice woosh in the scales 2moro
curlysue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

HUGE CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!

You must feel amazing. Great job with sucking it up and pushing on.

Thats a pheniminal time, your average mile is only slightly higher than my 5k average mile time.

I started running (c25k) in early may from being really out of shape. I'm up to 2+ miles and hope to do 2 different 10ks in late October (whether I run the whole thing or not). I would do a frickin cartwheel if I finished in 1:11. The euphoria feeling for the rest of the day after a race is amazing. Enjoy it, you've earnet it.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #4  

Congrats! That is an awesome accomplishment and kudos to you for sticking in there with all of those elite runners!!

I'm doing my first 10k as part of my training program for the half I'm doing later this year and I have been feeling super nervous about it. The 10k will be my first "real" race and hearing your story makes me feel a lot more calmer about it. I can't wait to read your half marathon recap!

Do you already have a race planned for your half marathon? Maybe we can encourage each other through the training plan
kswood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/159/150

Height: 5'8

I'm SO happy for you! CONGRATZ!!!!
it's a true inspiration to read a story like this!

Last edited by aleksandra; 08-14-2011 at 11:08 AM.
aleksandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #6  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

That is AWESOME! I think mentally pushing yourself can in a lot of ways be the hardest part about distance running. Way to go!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #7  
Insanity Round 3!!!!

S/C/G: 168/134/138

Height: 5'6"

AWESOME JOB Rie! Wow that is so great that you finished so must faster than your training run! I think that you are on your way to being a running junkie-once you start doing it you just keep wanting to do more. Great job on the loss as well! Keep it up and you will be at goal in no time!!
munstermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/173/155

Height: 5'7

Woo-hooo! That's a great time, Riestrella! I love how people seem to cheer extra-hard for the runners who obviously are not the hardcores.

I'm still about 1.5 weeks from finishing C25k, and once I do, I might start on the 10k training program you shared with me.
kariatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #9  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

curlysue82 - I really hope to see a nice whoosh on the scales, but I think my period will get in the way of that!!

Scarlett - Thank youu! I did it in a 11:28 min/mi, so I'm happy with that! I'm proud of my time, I might not have come in first but I definitely set a personal best =). Good luck training for your 10k's!

kswood87 - I'm glad that my story has had an effect on people, if you train for it and you really want to do it - you can! My half marathon is November 6th, and I'll be doing a 5k race the 25th September and a 10k race the 16th October. Where are you in your half marathon training? I'm going to be starting it tomorrow. Would love to exchange help with a fellow training half marathoner! Are you on Fitocracy? It's a great little website, would be ideal to track each others progress on there =). I can send you an invite for it if you like?

aleksandra & tuende - Thanks guys! Distance running is indeed very challenging both mentally and physically, I definitely experienced "the wall" today but smashed through it!

munstermommy - I think I have caught the running bug! Love the weight loss and the feeling I get when I'm done =D.

kariatari - Yeah, it was amazing the way they cheered me on! I would've done the same, hehe. Good luck with your 5k! I'm sure you'll nail it. I really liked the programme I did, and I definitely found myself getting stronger, so I hope you get the same success out of it too!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #10  
Turbo Jammer

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'8"

YAY Riestrella!!!!!! Big congrats!!!!! You are such an inspiration!

missamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206.8/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Congrats! You are awesome! :-D
MidnightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 199/176.5/125

Height: 5'5

wow! That's so awesome! Congrats! And awesome on not giving up! You should definitely be proud of yourself!
p.s. what's the 10k training program that you did?

Last edited by reese121077; 08-14-2011 at 04:11 PM.
reese121077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

Congrats!!!
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #14  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

That's awesome! Congratulations for doing all that training and completing the run!
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #15  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Thanks everyone! Really touching to hear all your support =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese121077 View Post
wow! That's so awesome! Congrats! And awesome on not giving up! You should definitely be proud of yourself!
p.s. what's the 10k training program that you did?
The programme I followed is this one: http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

Worked really nicely for me =)