Old 08-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #1  

Default Traveling outside the US

I'm traveling soon out of the country and was planning on bringing some packets of food with me for my trip. I wanted to see if anyone has traveled internationally with IP Food packets...have you have any issues with security by bringing your food in your carry-on bag? I imagine there shouldn't be a problem, but at the same time I wonder if they are going to question about what are those bunch of packets in my bag. Please let me know if you've had experiences.
useruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #2  
Incredible Shrinking Wife

S/C/G: 172.8/142/130

Height: 5'4"

I haven't personally had to go outside the US yet, but I do travel often, and my coach's advice was to make sure I kept the packets in their original box (even if it was flattened) and there shouldn't be an issue...
MrsD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #3  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

I've had so many things taken away from me at airports that if I were you I'd put them in my checked luggage. I hardly ever take carry on luggage anymore because I'm just so restricted in what I can take with me it's not worth it. One time I had plain old kitchen bread and butter knives in my purse - left over from having my lunch at work because I had to travel in a hurry and they took them. They told me they will even take plastic knives or forks. Now I have to buy new cutlery.
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/179/141

Quote:
Originally Posted by useruser View Post
I'm traveling soon out of the country and was planning on bringing some packets of food with me for my trip. I wanted to see if anyone has traveled internationally with IP Food packets...have you have any issues with security by bringing your food in your carry-on bag? I imagine there shouldn't be a problem, but at the same time I wonder if they are going to question about what are those bunch of packets in my bag. Please let me know if you've had experiences.
Ok, so I'm hearing this music in my head from Mission Impossible and headlines of the International IP Connection Caper. I specifically put mine in checked baggage. I could not imagine the fit I might throw if they wanted them from me. OMG, and then not having them there.....too scary for me.
petie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #5  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

Glad to get this advice as I'm going to England in Oct. Checked luggage it is!
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #6  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

I think what I remember other people saying is that some countries have a problem with you bringing any foods into their countries. Probably has to do with spread of agricultural diseases, insects, etc. I would check with embassies or airlines. They would probably know. I think there may even be fines for undeclared foodstuffs so better to check.
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #7  

I am from Canada and travelled to the States this summer. I put my IP food in the checked luggage along with my plastic cutlery. In Canada, they allowed me to take ready to eat pudding, restricted bars, and plastic spoons. In Denver, they took away my pudding and spoons but let me keep my bars. It was only two puddings, so not too major. At least I had a bar to eat for a meal and ate my pudding when i got to the hotel.
SaskDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #8  
OP 6/5/11

S/C/G: 252/197/195

Height: 6'3"

I've just returned from a 12 day trip to Israel/Palestine and I carried several boxes of shake packets and bars in both my checked and carry-on bags. I also had a few loose packets of powder and bars my backpack. I also took two shaker bottles - one in checked and one in carry-on - just in case one didn't make it through - but no problems there either.

I had no trouble at all with airport security or customs and I think it is fair to say that Israeli security is about as good as it gets. Now that might mean that less able security people might be freaked out by six boxes of shake packets, but I had no trouble.

My only problem was trying to avoid the wonderful food we were served and I have to admit to faltering a time or two there. But, I figure I was walking it off in the heat.

Good luck with your travels.
kellyg53 is offline   Reply With Quote