General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Allergy Shots?

After years of telling myself that my allergies were just not that bad, I finally made an appointment to go to an allergy clinic. They did all the testing for "inhalants" (since I don't really have any problems with food or drug allergies and didn't really want to drop any extra $$ for that, I just wanted them to do the pollen/mold/dustmite/dander kind of thing), and sure enough, I am super allergic to a few different things- mostly pollen, dust mites, and cats. They suggested that I start allergy shots immediately. My question is, have any of you ever done the allergy shots? How long did it take for you to start noticing a difference? They said I might be on them for 5 years...Any info or experiences ya'll might be willing to share would be much appreciated!!
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

IMO, allergy shots are just another snake oil. I was on them for years and years and they made no difference at all (like, ten years). MANY of my family members tried allergy shots, everyone stuck with it for at least five years and many for much longer and none of us have seen any improvement.

I manage my allergies with oral meds when I need them. At least I get some relief.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #3  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I haven't been on the shots myself but my Dad was for several years. They helped him out a great deal and allowed us kids to have the dog we had always wanted. I would love to be on shots, I take oral meds every day... but I don't have the money for them and it is insanely hard to get into an allergist up here.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

My son is allergic to cats and who knows what else, a little bit of everything...not food, pollen etc. And I am running into the same stuff...but I have never had shots, not ever been that bad. The meds are good but for him every now and then, going to say maybe once a year, or every other year it gets really bad for him and he gets a shot...one shot, one time and he is good to go.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote