Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias # 38

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a day that they say will be filled with isolated T-storms and be in the high 90's. Our forcast, however, does not have any temps in the 100 this week which is to be rejoiced. We shall see for the forcast does change some each day it comes out. I got a few catalogues yesterday and I like to look through them and then toss the ones that don't have anything that I want to order in them so they don't pile up. A couple unusual tops that are not the run of the mill that really caught my interest in the Favorites catalog that I will be ordering. It is a small catalogue which is a showcase of catalog best-sellers. I am still waking up. Takes me awhile. My doc said once that folks that ease into the world live longer than the ones that jump up when the alarm goes off. I jumped up when the alarm went off for all those years I was working and now I don't have to ge up for anything but life. I have been sleeping the night through and easing into the world. Pizza hut is making calzones but that is a lot of bread for what meat you get inside. Best, I think to eat a nice slice of pizza. Since we had eaten out for lunch yesterday I made meal replacement smoothies. To make them a meal replacement I put a scoop of slim fast in them. I also put some of that soluable fiber in them and so they are not only a "meal replacement" but become a meal. I always try to keep some frozen fruit in the freezer so when we want a smoothie, they are easy to whip up. Schwans also sells small packets of smoothie fruit which work well. I am out of yogurt so I need to crank up my yogurt maker today and get some brewing. I make it all plain and can add the flavorings later which go with what I am using it for. I make Greek yogurt with some of it. Yep this is a good yogurt making day.

DONNA FAYE That is so sad about your groomer having so much of that cancer. They are probably filling her up with drugs to give her some ease-ment during this time. That is so irritating to have the power go on and off for you can't plan on anything. Hope they find the area where the problem is coming from and gets it fixed moey pronto.

JEAN A jacket. That reminds me I really do need to bet my berber jacket to the cleaners. I have shrunk since purchasing it but I will wear it again this year and get a new one next year. I got a chuckle out of that candy and cat food. Two important items for sure. What a neat gentleman to only buy what is on the list plus his goodies.

SUSAN On the last thread you had posted after I started typing and so I just wanted you to know I didn't "ignore" you on purpose. That Keurig coffee machine should last you a good amount of time for I hear they are good and do make good coffee and tea. I only drink good coffee. If it isn't good I don't even bother. We buy beans at a good place here and they are fresh. on getting rid of those crutches. Yep they can make blisters in your arm pits.

GAIL Grilfriend were art thou and what have you been up to.

Time for me to go start a batch of yogurt. Type at y'all later

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #2  

Maggie -- What kind of catalog are you ordering tops out of? So many that I get list sizes as S, M, L, etc., and I like the ones that are sized by numbers. I hate when they group 12-14 as Med., and 16-18 as Large or whatever. I always need the larger # and they seem to run small on me. A smoothie sounds good even though it isn't "hot" this afternoon.

Susan -- Is today a work day? If so hope all is going well at the office.

Gail -- What are you doing today?

Last edited by Jean; 08-09-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Back to Say . . .

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We have been out and about looking for a good dog waterer to carry in the Jeep but couldn't find one so I found one on line that willl work just fine so ordered it.

JEAN The catalogue is called Catalog Favorites and it's web site is http://www.CatalogFavorites.com. I have never been to the web site but will after I get off here. They call it a showcase of catalog best sellers and has some of everything in it.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. I had a decent night's sleep, Fortune didn't get me up until around 4:15 (Jack gets up at 4:30 now is probably why) and so I let him out, put away the dishes in the dishwasher, took out the trash for pick up and sat and listened to my audiobook and knitted for a bit.

I exchanged a couple pairs of capris which were as long as a pair of pants on my and one top that the sizes were way off but have heard nothing about the replacements being shipped back out. I emailed them and asked if they would let me know when they shipped them out again, but have heard not a word and that was August 1 so I imagine they will just show up here. I ordered three new bras yesterday as JMS was having a Playtex sale and so I ordered three of them. Hopefully they will fit. I figure it is stupid to pay big bucks for a bra because frankly they fit no better or worse than the inexpensive ones. Playtex is a good brand and I have good results so my main problem is getting the size correct, but I usually hit it on the head. Men never have to deal with this, it seems so unfair!

Jean: Hope you have a good time with your friends today and family tonight. Do you have your nails polished or french tips? I usually start out with the french, but after about the third fill in, they are yellowing and they can't whiten them so I switch to polish until I remove them for another set. I only wear the same set about 2 months then take them off, give my nails a breather before a new set. I probably wear them a bit longer than most, but not enough to inhibit getting my contacts in and out! I am just going to wait to have new ones put on until a week before vacation next month. I need a haircut and dye job, but decided to wait for that too until at least the end of the month after Jack has his surgery because then I have the car all the time. I have the hair color already, but am waiting to get all the old color cut off.

Maggie: Thanks for the cake substitute recipes. I try not to make much in the way of desserts too tempting, but I do make stuff every once in awhile.

I guess I should go. I am going to go up and clean bathrooms this morning while it is cool, but at least we are looking at temps 10-15 degrees cooler for the next week or so.

Oh I didn't tell you, Thomas is now playing the trumpet. He showed us his new trumpet when we took Marty back. He can already play the thing, though Kelly said it sounded pretty bad in the beginning. He amazes me how fast he picks stuff up.

Have a good day everyone and don't forget to smile!!! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's going to be another sunny cool day in my corner of the world. The temperature was 55 degrees when I went downstairs this morning. Ernie didn't spend much time in the open door. I've got to do some ironing before lunch bunch, and then we will be heading to Sioux Falls. I think I will take a jacket along for the game. What a difference from the 100 degrees at the last game.

Maggie -- Thanks for the catalog link. I will check it out!

"Gma" -- You really get a lot done so early in the morning! I hope your clothes exchanging goes through with no trouble. I finally got the credit on my account for my missing order that I never received. I had to play 20 questions with some noodlehead in the process of daily checking the balance; he sounded like he had a mouth full of taffy. I almost asked for his supervisor and then figured there was no point. I need new bras too! I've worn Playtex for years but the last ones I bought didn't fit so took them back. My nails are polished. What do you use to soak your nails off, or how do you get them off? Will Thomas be in both the band and the orchestra this year? I know you said he gave up the piano and violin lessons. He's so talented he could play in both and have fun in a jazz band to add to the mix.

I need to figure out what I am wearing to lunch and get busy on the ironing. Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 08-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I am just really waking up to a beautiful day which is said to get to the high 80's. Last evening before we went to bed we had a hail storm which lasted about half hour. The hail was red grape sized and it was wind driven and sounded like it was breaking the windows. Beanie slipped out the back door and then when we realized he wasn't in the house Will went looking for him out back. When he found him out behind one of the storage buildings he was chasing hail stones trying to catch them in his mouth. Little thing was soaking wet and Will scooped him up and brought him in and we went to work drying him off. That dog is fearless. Ole Ragg doesn't like storms at all. We didn't think it a good idea for Beanie to be out in it and getting hit on the head with that ice. We, of course, shut the back door so he couldn't go out again during the storm. The wind was so hard it moved all the trash cans around in the alley and pruned a lot of trees. Our beautiful lillys that were in a flower bed under our living room large picture window were flattened. Quite a bit of our garden was flattened and when things dry out some we can see exactly what damage we did get out there. I imagine we have some bruised tomatoes. We may not have a garden. Well at least we didn't get the tornado that we were being warned of by the sirens.

DONNA FAYE You do seem to function well in the early morning hours and get a lot done. I do hope you get your wardrobe all in and set and ready for your trip. It would sure be nice to have everything all there I am sure. When I make a cake and don't take it anywhere I freeze it all but two servings. I usually only make them to take somewhere and then leave what is left but it is usually all eaten. Like I will probably make one to take to the next pot-luck. Those young men love the desserts and don't realize what I take to pot-lucks is always "on program food."

JEAN Like I said there aren't many clothes in that catalogue but the ones that are there are usually in a good range of sizes. I like it because it has lots of different "stuff" that you don't see in other catalogues. But they are in other catalogues because that is where "Favorites" gets them to put in their catalogue. Makes sense to me. Have fun at the game and it is a good idea to take a jacket for you never know what the weather just might do.

SUSAN & GAIL a good day to you this beautiful humpday day.

Type at y'all later.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #7  

Maggie -- It sounds like you had quite a storm last night. I had to at Beanie trying to catch the hail stones. I hope your garden survived. I just got home from lunch and Bob should be home any time to take off for the game. Our sun has disappeared so I'm going to check the weather when I finish here.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #8  

Good evening, ladies! Hot, humid and smokey here!

Lightening struck twice during our weekend storms and started fires in the Great Dismal Swamp. As of this morning over 3,000 acres are burning and the firefighters are trying to get it contained. It will go out when we get enough rain to put it out and that could be a long time. The last time it was months. When I got up yesterday and looked out the window, I thought how odd to see fog...when I opened the door to get the paper, the smoke really hit me. It was bad all day yesterday and the wind seems to have shifted now because I don't see or smell it. This is about an hour drive from here where it is burning. They had a notice in the paper yesterday on the front page that those with asthma and other breathing issues should be sure to have fresh rescue inhalers available and don't wait to go to the emergency room at the first sign of difficulty. The smoke gets in your house even though the AC is on. The doctor's office called me to remind me to wear a mask when I go outside. It's always something.

PT is going well. The knee is a bit weak and Friday we're exercising in the pool so I'm happy. I got a lovely red cane with flowers painted all over it.

Faye, I've noticed my capris are getting too long, too. I guess I should hem them the same as I do my pants. I never thought about it before but when you mentioned it I took a good look in the mirror. Thomas is definitely a man of many talents. Pretty soon he can be a one man band.

Jean, I hope the weather cooperated for your trip to SF. I know you had fun with the lunch bunch.

Maggie, I can just see Beanie out there catching hail. What a dog! He probably thought that was a really good game. I hope your garden survived.

Hello, Gail!

Have a great evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's going to be another nice sunny day in my neighborhood. I love this weather! It was hard to get up and get going this morning; my "get going" is in slow motion. I need to make a grocery run this afternoon. We always make homemade ice cream for Maddy's birthday. She turned 8 today and we will "party" on Sunday at the lake.

Susan -- I hope the swamp fire will fizzle out soon. I feel for the people who have breathing challenges. It was nice of your doctor's office to call about wearing the mask outside. Will you be able to go back to your water aerobics while doing pt or will you have to wait? The game weather last night was perfect. To add to the fun several hot air balloons drifted over the fields; they are so pretty and graceful to watch. Ian got clobbered with a ball and I'm wondering if he will have a black eye. I didn't see it happen but Bob said he sidestepped rather than catch the ball headon. The other team obviously had practiced more and were better at the basic fundamentals. Everyone got their trophy for participating and we went to McD's for ice cream afterwards.

"Gma" -- Did you sleep in this morning?

Maggie -- What's for lunch today?

Gail -- Hope you check in today!

I need to get dressed and make my grocery list. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 08-11-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies. Overcast and 81 right now.

Okay, Jean, who is Cathy? I can go back to water aerobics yet, but it will be nice to just be in the water. I hope Ian doesn't have a black eye. I went for a hot air balloon ride in OH and it was wonderful.

I'm spending Saturday and Sunday with my friend in Moon. Just trying to help her get through the divorce.

Have a great day!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #11  

Susan -- Cathy is someone I met on FB and I evidently copied that post somehow. My talent on the computer is minimal so have no clue. Enjoy your time in Moon; you are a good friend to help. I'm sure divorce is no fun no matter whose idea it is.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day in the Heartland in the high 80's. The dogs are liking being outside once again. Can't blame them for wanting to be inside under the air conditioner. They are both taking a snooze on the patio. Will has gone to his volunteer job and then a board meeting afterwards so he won't be home till a bit after 6 pm so I should have a nice dinner waiting for him. He took the Jeep in to the Jeep dealer this morning because it was hanging up when it was supposed to be shifting. Seems like the shop that did the last work missed a place that needed to be replaced to make things run smoothly. It is just like they didn't go far enough back to see what was the real cause of the problem and just installed the new shift kit. And at this point we aren't sure they put the right version of shift kit in but will know tomorrow morning when the parts come in and they get into it. This has convinced us that no one, no matter how good of a reputation they have, is doing any work on that Jeep unless it is the dealer and it takes what it takes. And BTW they don't make the Rock Crawler anymore ~ in this economy there isn't that much call for them and folks can't even find a used one anywhere. We know a guy that wants one and can't find one for sale anywhere. Our garden is ka-put. We plan to screen cover the one we grow next year but if we get another hail storm it would probably knock the cover off with the high winds that come with it. But it will shield the garden from the hot sun beating down on it. What we got out of it was a few zucchini and tomatoes. All what was out there got beat to death. My flowers also didn't survive. But it didn't damage the house and life is good. Oh that Beanie is into everything. We have had to start closing all the inside doors, if we aren't in that room, because he goes shopping for what he can get to. When he is in here with me he cruises around seeing what he can pull down and get to. The only thing he can really get to is to pull my trash can over. It is one of those expanded black metal ones that is light weight and you can see the contents in it. Just paper ~ but he delights in paper.

JEAN Yum, homemade ice cream. What kind of freezer do you use? There are so many now days. I have one of those that you put the inside tub in the freezer then when it is frozen ~ put the ingredients in it and put it into the outer container and plug it in and it does a great job of making ice cream or frozen yogurt or what ever you want frozen. We used to have one of thise wooden bucket kind but don't need that kind anymore for we don't have a big family close.

SUSAN Those swamp fires do burn for awhile don't they. Not fun to have all that smoke. You be careful. I love the sound of your cane. I used to have one like it and a gentleman in TN loved it and so I gave it to him. I have one of a crooked root I bought in TN that I use on uneven ground. Otherwise on flat ground I don't need to use one ~ my brace is sufficient. Yep, Beanie loved that game of trying to catch ice falling just for his amusement. Every time we get ice out of the fridge he is right there for us to drop one on the floor for him.

DONNA FAYE & GAIL Hope all is well with the two of you this day.

Type at y'all later. I need to get to my freezer and pull out something for dinner.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #13  

Maggie -- I'm so sorry about your garden and your flowers. I know how much you were looking forward to your fresh veggies and fruit. I hope that your Jeep is fixed 100% right this time. It is frustrating to have something not work right after it's been worked on. We use an electric, regular size ice cream maker. I do have one of the smaller ones that fit in the freezer, like yours, but it isn't big enough to feed all of us. We will most likely have a little left over to eat over Labor Day weekend. I'm sure we will have a cake or bars of some sort, since it is always Jason's that weekend.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #14  

Just got home from PT and I'm done in. My knee is too sure it wants to bend but she does it anyway and I really work up a sweat. My cold shower felt so good. Now I'm sipping my Mango protein shake. Yum!

Maggie, I'm sorry everything got ruined. Be sure to check your roof. If they hail was that bad, there may be some damage. I know you'll have something good for Will's supper. I'll be having Chicken Breast with a side of heirloom zucchini and a salad.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit Again

GOOD LATE AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

SUSAN Nice and easy with that knee does it. Those PT folks know just how far they can push folks. Gotta love em. It is always a good idea to check and it doesn't appear to have any roof damage but you never know until another big gulley washer comes along. It certainly is best to get it fixed when something is noticed, that is for sure. I have decided on baking a couple chicken breast tenders covered with lemon pepper panko and serving it with some green beans and a tossed salad with fresh tomatoes and zucchini cut up in it.

JEAN You make me want to make some frozen yogurt. The innards of my maker live in the freezer when not in use. I'll have to take a look see if I have the ingredients to make some on hand.

Type at y'all later.