PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230 / 220 / 170

Height: 5'7"

Default Metformin

Hi everyone
i started taking metformin for my PCOS almost 4 weeks ago.
for two weeks i was taking 500mg and then i increased to 1000mg which is what i'm at right now.
from everyone i've heard and read it definitely seems like metformin works differently for everyone. i know a couple of women who have PCOS and lost a decent amount of weight (20+ lbs) without doing anything drastic with their diet, but mostly just trying to eat healthier and get some more exercise. it seems others see very little difference no matter what they do.
i'm wondering, for those who did see weight loss, how long before you started noticing the scale start to go down? and how much did you change your diet/exercise?
i tried looking through the threads and i saw a good amount on weight loss with metformin but didn't see very many people mention how soon they started noticing a change.
sadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

It took me about 2 weeks to notice..but then again.. i found i had to combine doing met with a low carb high protein diet..(as told to me by an endocrinologist) So i lost 14 pounds when i did it that way..unfortunately..it caused me to have gastorintestinal issues so i had to get off it..

It can work..but you definitly need a good exercise and food regime..its not going to be a one pill wonder if ya know what i mean.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I sometimes wonder if it depends on what your diet is like BEFORE Met. Because for me it didn't make much difference for loss, but it did stop weight gain creep.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/191

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
I sometimes wonder if it depends on what your diet is like BEFORE Met. Because for me it didn't make much difference for loss, but it did stop weight gain creep.

A.
Same here.
I've been taking Met for about two years now. In that time, I kept a stable weight despite eating TONS of sugar and carbs. The Met didn't help me lose weight, but I stopped gaining as much as fast with it.
I don't know if it's helping me now that I'm consciously cutting back on sugar and portion size. I'm sure it's not hurting!
1049jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #5  

I noticed a huge difference right away...........I cut back on carbs and sweets because that made me have less stomach issues from the met. I lost 11 lbs in the first month............and 5 lbs the second month.

Good luck!
moving to 1derland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #6  
Hopeless Romantic

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I was actually gaining on metformin it didnt do jack for me except for tummy ache and bathroom trips, but low-carb high protein diet along with exercise is working!!!
dys24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #7  

Like a prev poster said, I also didn't notice weight loss but it did help prevent weight gain, without a change in my diet/exercise habits.

I consider it the 3rd (or 4th or 5th..) weapon in my bag to fight PCOS/weight along with a healthy diet, exercise, getting enough sleep, healthy habits, and so on.

But, I'm eager to be off Met as soon as I can. Recent studies linking it to permanent b-vitamin deficiency (even after you stop taking it) have me very concerned. So, I'm working hard to lose the weight so I can get off it for good.
Rachel18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #8  

Met really upset my stomach when I took it with low carb or not dieting at all, until I started the Eat to Live diet. Now, it never bothers me. No more pepto or immodium
Rachel18 is offline   Reply With Quote