Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 06:48 AM   #1  

Default question for moms on the board

When do you fit in exercise? Some mornings our three year old wakes up at six am, and comes in while I'm riding my exercise bike. He'll get upset that I can't go downstairs with him to play or have breakfast (my husband would be with him). I really don't want to get up at five thirty to do this...my day is long enough! I've explained to him that I'm doing this so I'll have more energy to play with him, but it's not working. He always wants to be with me first thing when he wakes up.

I don't want to put off exercise until after he goes to bed, cause by then I'M ready for bed too.

I want to start doing a workout video and weight training as well, and can't see where I can fit it in.

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 01-20-2003, 07:18 AM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sherry -

It's hard, but you are doing the right thing. If you stick to it, eventually he'll adjust to the new routine. Does Hubby come in and take him downstairs? That moght help. I have a very hard time finding the time to exercise and most times when I am I feel the guilt of thinking I should be with my family. But we are doing this to better our family. So they have a Mommy. And as far a fitting in Weight training, it really only has to be 3 days a week. Can you do it before you come home? Doesn't your husband works nights? Maybe you can have your son do it with you with light (1 lb) weights.

Also, someone once suggested getting a kids dancing video and doing that every night together. I think Kids would love Richard Simmons!!

Just remeber, this isn't optional.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:42 AM   #3  

This is definitely a tough one. Doing that exercise first thing in the morning is important for you because I'm sure by the end of the day you're just too busy and too tired to do it. If you can't count on your husband to deal with him during that time (I know I couldn't -- mine refuses to get up any earlier than he absolutely has to), perhaps you could set up something for your ds to do while you're riding ... a little project box with books, toys, crayons, etc.

Pen
265/218.5/150ish
Old 01-20-2003, 10:26 AM   #4  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I had the hardest time getting my daughter used to me exercising when I first started (she would come hug my leg and not let go lol). Now she's used to it, and I also bought her her own 1 lb weights. She gets really excited when I ask her if she wants to do Tae Bo lol, and she will usually do it with me for about 5 minutes before she grabs a book and sits down in a chair to read. As long as she has something to drink and she isn't hungry, she is really good about it.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 AM   #5  
Searching

I got to concur, one of the best ways to excersise its tell the kiddo to shake their booty with you. They usually get bored after a few minutes and go entertain themselves.

Miss Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 05:06 PM   #6  

I understand where you are coming from. That's my biggest problem. I work full time and have two small children. I don't WANT to take time away from them and by the time they're in bed, I'm pooped and not likely to start anything strenuous.

Nonetheless, I did manage to get into a good routine of lunch-time walks adn I work in a very hilly area. BUT the winter weather sort of put an end to that, we've had more snow than normal and it's made walking on sidewalks nearly impossible. Now it's bitter cold ... Ughh!!!

I bought small weights and try to use them at home at night. I've been thinking about buying those weights that strap onto your ankles and wearing them at home ... unlike me, my house is tall and thin -- lol ... three stories ... so I'd be adding a little something to my regular upstairs/downstairs stuff. Even doing laundry would be more beneficial -- lol!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:05 PM   #7  

I can totally relate too! My baby is only 3 months old and it is already hard to find time. But for now, I make sure to exercise at least 20 minutes a day while she naps. 20 minutes isn't very long, but I figure as long as I do something. Plus, as soon as it gets warm outside I will be able to take her for walks to get my exercise, and we can go as long as we want then. I am not sure what I will do when she gets older, hopefully, this will be something that I will do for the rest of my life, so as she gets older, she will just accept it as part of the day. Sorry I can't be of more help in this, just don't give up, I am sure something will work out!

Nicole
272/269/160
Old 01-20-2003, 09:32 PM   #8  
Catwoman

Well so far I've found having a baby makes it easyier then ever to exersize! But then I don't work so have more time in general. When my 7 months old son gets me out of bed at 5-6 am I figure there isn't much else to do so after feeding him I strap him in his stroller and go for an hour walk round my farm just as the day is dawning. It's a beautiful time of day with lots of wild animals around to spot and it really makes a lovely start to the day. I'm getting so If I don't walk first up I really miss it! Oh and my baby just loves it as well.

Kitty
Old 01-20-2003, 11:25 PM   #9  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

If you have toddlers, exercise with them. Have "races" at the park (trust me - a few 50 yard sprints and you'll be pooped!) Dance with them to Kidz Bop videos. Ride bicycles together. There are so many things you can do with toddlers, and you'll be enforcing to them that it's important to move your body.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:24 PM   #10  

Default thank you!

Thank you all for your input and support. I knew I couldn't be the only one in this situation.

I've been home sick with a stomach virus, so I haven't even been trying to exercise the past few days...I think tomorrow morning I"ll just try the exercise bike-I don't feel up to the video workout.

I'll see if Matthew wants to exercise along with me to the video. That's a great idea!!! I don't do Richard Simmons-I like the music, but I'm a klutz, and he doesn't explain the moves at all. I don't want to dance, I want to work out. I'm using a Leslie Sansone walkfit tape. The music is lousy, but once I get the routine down, I'm just going to turn the sound down and play my own music.

My husband is very supportive and is awake at that time. He'd gladly keep an eye on him...Matthew is just very clingy to me when he wakes up in the morning.

Thanks,
Sherry

who will be glad when I can eat something besides toast again.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:03 PM   #11  

I, on the other hand, do my work out at night. I would rather workout after my girls (age 2 and 4) go to bed. They will start fighting if I do it wile they are awake.

You can also strap on 5lb weights to your ankles (under dress slacks you can't see them) and wear them all day long. This gives you an extra workout. Or if you sit at a desk you can do leg raises while you work.

Just a suggestion,
Bella23
Closed Thread