Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #1  

Default Bodybugg (or other similar device) Accuracy?

For those who have owned the Bodybugg (or other device), I'm wondering about the accuracy. I looked at some of the reviews on Amazon, and some folks love it while others say it merely takes your info (e.g., age, height, gender, weight) and just estimates your calorie burn based on that. If that's the case, though, I can do that by just inputting my activities into my calorie counter app rather than spending $200+ on the device.

So, I'm just looking for more feedback from folks here.

Last edited by lin43; 08-01-2011 at 09:15 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #2  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I had a body bugg and loved the thing. It does not just estimate based on your info. It is quite accurate, in my opinion. I even learned with it that peppy music makes me burn more calories even if I am just sitting at the computer while it plays, just hearing it ups my calorie burn a little. It does take a few days to get to know you. The first few days were crazy, but after that it was amazing. Mine recently went out on me and I miss it.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

I have an older model of the bodybugg and I find it very useful in determining my calorie burn for the day. It takes several factors into consideration (do a google search) in addition to gender, height, weight, etc. I use it as a gauge to how many calories I burn on sedentary vs active days so I can know how many calories I can eat to maintain/lose. I wear it for 2-3 days straight and print out the graphs is generates and find my average burn for x activity. Then I take it off and let the scale tell me my progress. I'll sign up again in Sept when I restart to get new baseline measurements. I found it useful for me because of all the conflicting info on websites on how many calories I need to maintain/lose and burn in such and such activity. I KNOW I burn 12 calories a minute jogging, for example and I KNOW I burn 2300 calories a day without a work out and upwards of 2800 when I do. I have been maintaining for over a month now with a 1-2 pound flucuation based on this info, so it is working for me YMMV

Last edited by NTexas; 08-02-2011 at 10:02 AM.
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

they're excellent; they have so many variables that they look at (heart rate, movement, sweat levels, etc) that they tend to be quite accurate. Also, you don't have to spend $200. You can always buy one off amazon. I got mine off there for $70.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #5  

Thanks, ladies! Your experiences are encouraging to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
they're excellent; they have so many variables that they look at (heart rate, movement, sweat levels, etc) that they tend to be quite accurate. Also, you don't have to spend $200. You can always buy one off amazon. I got mine off there for $70.
This is a great price. I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #6  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I love mine, too. And I find it VERY accurate. I like seeing my high burn days vs days it's not so high. I also find myself watching the numbers, and saying 'keep going till youre at XXX burned!!'

And I got it on eBay for $65 and it came with the little clip to see your calories burned.. GL!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

I have a bodymedia fit and it is extremely accurate for me. When I go back and look at the data for the month the cals deficit it shows and my actual weightloss is with in 1750 cals. I think that is great for an entire month.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote