Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 12:20 PM   #1  
Life Time 2001

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 year olds #207

We are back to being 50 & 60's!

Ann: Congrats on the loss! I live Wendy's. The side salad and chili is one of my favorites. Or I will also get the Baked potato no extras and chili. More points but very yummy and filling. I also get there already taco maded Taco salad and tell them to keep the chips, sour cream all the extras. Huge salad for 7 points. Comes with the chili.

I did the cupcakes with egg beaters and didnt have a problem.

Slavika: They were wonderful! Froze them for a quick snack!

Cold and foggy here. Good day to stay in.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:26 PM   #2  
Life Time 2001

Found this Slavika: I know you usally get the blooming onion.
I have had there fries before but

Appetite-Squashing Appetizers

One of the disturbing discoveries about restaurant food was the huge amount of calories and fat in appetizers, Hurley said. Instead of whetting the diner's appetite, they might literally bludgeon it, with some appetizers containing over 3,000 calories. An appetizer of deep-fried onions, for instance, contains 2,000 calories. Buffalo wings totaled 1,000 calories.

A plate of cheese fries from the Outback Steakhouse chain was the worst offender they found, Hurley said. It contained over 3,000 calories and 217 grams of fat, including 90 grams of saturated fat, which is the artery-clogging kind. This one appetizer contains the maximum amount of saturated fat that a person should eat in four days.

"It's like starting your meal off with two T-bone steak dinners with Caesar salad and baked potatoes and butter, for one person," Hurley said.

Even if you split the appetizers, it is still a huge caloric intake. The fries split four ways contain 750 calories — and the diner has not even gotten to the main course yet.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:47 PM   #3  

G'day all,

As you may have heard on your news services, we have had a horrendous weekend bush fire wise In Canberra 368 homes were lost and 4 lives
In our state we reached temperatures of 45 degrees (118 F) but thank goodness no bush fires......yet. We are experiencing still very hot conditions this morning with thunderstorms and we have had 7 drops of rain ( I counted them!). Hopefully the lightening doesn't start any fires.
No relief until mid week and then it starts to hot up again. Times like this I am very pleased we live at the seaside with no likelyhood of being caught in a bushfire.

Ann So far I have taken Vioxx for 4 days with no side effects, the discomfort of the arthiritis is a little better but not gone....yet. I did check on the net what the side effects were but only really read about stomach upsets.
I can see why you were drawn to your present husband

Lily I cannot believe the fat etc. etc. in those cheese fries. You call it the 'Outback Restaurant' does that imply that it is Australian???? I have never heard of or seen cheese fries, perhaps just as well

I am really now getting organised for the trip to New Zealand. We will need to take some warm clothes as it is considerably cooler over there.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 01-19-2003 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:01 PM   #4  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Yes the Outback is themed like Australia. The fries are loaded with cheese and about a pound of Bacon. Comes with a sauce to to dip them in.
I did not hear about the fires. How sad.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:18 PM   #5  

It's time I checked in with all of you. I have been keeping up and can't believe there's ben another thread started. Where does the time go!

I have been busy again with meetings and the plans for our short trip to Las Vegas. Tomorrow I will have to wash and pack because I am working right up until almost time to go. We leave Thursday at 5:00am that means we have to leave the house at 3:00am. not even enough time to sleep. But I am looking forward to getting away for a few days.

I've also been sewing again. A friend gave me for Christmas a pillow she quilted. I just loved the pattern I think it's called all around the town? Any way I spent a day measuring and copying and cutting the pattern and have now made two of them. The second one better than the first and I was pleased with the first. So I am really happy with how the second one turned out. My friends have been giving me short verbal lessons each time I see them. This time they remembered to tell me to stich in the ditch. So I did and they were right it now looks quilted. Who knew?

Slavika I plan to try the cupcake recipe and then give it to all the members of my groups. It sounds good.

Maria getting ready to go to NZ that is way better than India. I did see on the news about the fires. I feel for the family's who have lost their homes. The pictures of the family and weddings were great.

Lily such depressing infromation on the Outback. I knew it was bad but am still in shock over the fat grams and calories.

Can't remember who posted the water/coke thing. I used to drink about a case of coca cola a week many years ago. Now I know where the ulcer came from. I don't drink much soda now at all, Water or herbel tea and 1 cup of coffee in the morning to get me jump started.

Trudy we haven't heard from you in a long time again. Wondering how your new GD is doing and how you all are getting along with her?

Ann glad to hear that your bathroom damage is fixed. What a mess that must have been. Way to go on the weight loss. How far do you have to go? Or shouldn't I ask?

Peggy I know you must be doing something fun you always are.

Jayne, Did I spell that right? I was good to see you back on line again.

Karen
Old 01-20-2003, 03:55 AM   #6  
Ash

Default From Down Under

I can only concur with the comments that Maria made about the bushfires - they are horrific with the tally going up this evening to 402 houses lost but still only 4 lives lost. 4 is too many but let us hope that there are no more. Tomorrow will be another really hot and windy day and they expect to lose more houses. Here in Victoria we have very serious fires up in the North-East that put a blanket of smoke over us today, visibility was down to less than 5 km and all the asthmatics had to use their puffers and anyone with respiratory problems was advised to stay in-doors. More about the fires tomorrow.

Regards to you all and remember, take care.

Jenye/Ash.

Last edited by Ash; 01-20-2003 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:20 PM   #7  

G'day all,

At long last we have a date as to when we are going to New Zealand, tomorrow (Wednesday) week!
DH is still in Sydney and told me last night that we first be going to Wellington (South Island) and then to Hamilton (North Island) where we will be for a little while.
We haven't discussed it but I think it is probably better if I join him in Hamilton.
I will now get serious about what to take this time and what to leave home. It is good to know we go to an English speaking country and a country not far from home
DH is very happy that he has another project and we look forward to exploring the wonders of New Zealand on weekends.

It is a lovely day today, quite a bit cooler. I am having morning tea with a friend. I used to go to playgroup with my children (100 years ago now) and see her there. She and her dh recently moved to a lovely home on the Esplanade just near my home and we bumped into each other whilst we were both taking a walk along the beach. With our travel bit I haven't caught up with her again until we will this morning.
She had invited dh and I for breakfast but of course dh is in Sydney so it is now morning tea.

Unfortunately the bush fires are still very bad, so far our state has been spared any major fires. I was at a friends place last night, they live in the Adelaide Hills on 58 acres. Their property is in a high risk bush fire area. It is just beautiful there but at times like this a bit worrying. They have taken all the precautions that they can so hopefully all will be well.

I am picking up some new spectacles today, they are very loud . The optician is a friend and I told him I did not want boring run of the mill glasses this time, so he came with some 'way out' glasses for me to try. I have opted for a pair of purple ones I only wear them for reading, at least it should be easy to find a purple pair in case I mislay them

Karen nice to see your long post You are one very busy person!

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 01-20-2003 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:02 PM   #8  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Our little Princess had been sick for most of last week, with what started off as a cold, then sore throat, stomach flu then an ear ache. When she had the ear ache the doctor gave her a prescription of antibiotics. On Friday she broke out into a bit of a rash on her cheek and my dil thought it was likely a reaction to the medication (as did I). She stopped the medication on Friday and on Saturday although the little rash was still there it was really nothing much and she went to her usual gymnastics class on Saturday. However, on Sunday morning when she worke up my dil and son where very concerned because the rash was really bad, very hot to touch and the whole side of her little face was really badly swollen. My dil took her to the Children's Hospital and the doctor there was just not sure what it was. They gave her a another kind of antibiotic for face rashes and an ointment to put on. I saw her late yesterday afternoon and my heart just broke when I saw her. She was pretty upset herself and very conscious of her little face. I held her and cuddled her and told her it would soon be cleared up and she would be back in school and she felt a little better. This morning my dil took her to her own doctor and the pediatrician feels that it might be an allergic reaction to "something" she has eaten. Neither my son or dil can think of anything different or unusual she might have had. My dil brought her here to my place this afternoon and her face is much much better. The swelling is all gone and although the rash is still there it is not hot to the touch nor is it as dark a red. They are going to give her the series of allergy tests at the beginning of February. She was in much better spirits today too.
Those bushfires are just terrible. The loss of human life, homes, and animals is just terrible. I guess when it gets so hot it doesn't take much to get these fires going. We experience forest fires in Canada too, but fortunately not too often. Forest fires are very scary here too.
Maria well, soon you will be "On the Road Again". I think this time you are actually looking forward to going aren't you?
Lily you just broke my heart on the report of the number of calories in my favorite of all favorite places to eat, The Outback". Thank goodness we do not have one in our city.
Karen have a lovely time in Las Vegas. It's been a long long time since DH and I were there. I would like to go again too.
Trudy see you tomorrow at tea time. Night all.

Last edited by slavika; 01-20-2003 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:30 PM   #9  
Super Surfer

Angry Hi everyone..

I sure had a lot of reading to catch up with y'all. Time is going by so fast. I don't see my little angel too often but any excuse we have we go to see her. She is doing so well, almost back to her 7lb 2 oz. She seems quite strong and is lifting up her head already. My daughter only has 7 lbs to lose and she will be back to her weight.

About Coke. Years ago my hubby had to drive over fresh tar on the road. Well, it coated the bottom of the car and nothing he used would even budge it. At the time I drank a lot of coke. We took one bottle and just wiped on the car. It completely dissolved the tar. I stopped drinking it, it kind of worried me as to what I was putting into my body.

I always use the little cartons of egg whites to bake with. I just can't throw out the yolks.. My cupcakes were really good even though I had them in the oven too long. My oven is very hot and I should know better ... next time I will take them out at 20 min.

Glenda So happy you had good news after your test. How nerve racking it must be to go through that every year.
Maria I hope you enjoy New Zealand. I bet your new purple spectacles are great. I am always leary about going way out when I purchase new ones. Good for you.
Slavika I am so glad the Princess is feeling and looking better. Those allergies can be just awful. I had a bad reaction from cough syrup that put me in hospital with an antihistimine drip years ago. I hope the testing shows what she is allergic to.
Jenye Those fires look just awful. I am sure all that smoke is bothering people with allergies as well.
Karen Have a great time in Las Vegas.. wish I was going too. Where are you staying?
Lily I loved the glassware. I have only been to the Outback one time, I will go again if I have the chance, but thanks to you I will be careful what I order. It is a good thing to share the desserts anywhere you go. We usually order one big gooey one and ask for extra forks so we can all have a taste.

Talk to you all later... goodnight
Old 01-21-2003, 02:13 PM   #10  

Just a quick note. I've been sick with a cold, sore throat, cough etc. Maria I saw the fires on tv. How horrendous. Slavika the cupcakes sound good. I will have to try them. Hope the Princess is better. Lily I am glad that I don't go to the OUtback very often. And I thought just the Bloomin Onion was bad. I love Wendy's too. I like the chili over a plain baked potato. Got to run-I am behind.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:45 PM   #11  

Help Ann! I just saw your post on the old thread about the email about the medicine. I went to the Vmyth site and couldn't find anything. Steer me in the right direction since I don't know what I am looking for. I'm curious because I was taking an Alka Seltzer cold product.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:29 PM   #12  

G'day all,

It is serious today! I MUST get on with sorting out what to take and what to leave home!
I had a lovely day yesterday, called to see my friend for morning tea at 10.30 and never left till after 4 in the afternoon.
We haven't seen one and other for years, we have many mutual friends and aquaintences so we had lots to talk about!
We sat on her balcony overlooking the ocean and it was just great, what a life we have

I was up early this morning and have already done quite a bit so felt justified coming here for a little while

Slavika Good to hear your little 'princess' is getting better again. It really is the worst to see little ones sick, you feel so helpless.
You are right I am sort of looking forward to getting 'on the road again' for a number of reasons. I know there is no work for dh in our home town of Adelaide, we definetly do not want to move to Melbourne or Sydney (where there would be work in his field), this way we maintain our home, dh does the work he enjoys and we also see a bit of the world.
It is a lot of getting used to again and it does get me down at times but when you weigh it all up, we are pretty lucky really.
I am pleased we are going to New Zealand, I somehow feel a bit safer there then I would in India.
We are having trouble getting a serviced apartment, plenty of hotel accommodation. We have booked the 'de luxe suite'

http://www.venturainns.co.nz/Hamilton_rooms.htm

which seems quite nice but it is not available for the whole time that we are there. My priority will be to find something where we can stay the full length of time, if not we will just have to chop and change all the time.

We will be leaving next Tuesday or Wednesday and fly to Wellington where we will stay for a week and then to Hamilton where we will be for the rest of our stay. We expect to be there till April sometime.

Trudy pleased all is going well with your daughter and grand daughter Pretty good only 7 pounds and she is back at her normal weight, good for her. I don't think I ever got back to my normal weight after the birth of my children

The bush fires continue to rage and it is quite heart breaking. It is warming up again and the temperature is expected to reach the forties again at the weekend with no rain in sight.
I had some hydrangeas in pots that I have been wanting to plant but have been waiting for the weather to cool, I cannot wait any longer so planted them very early this morning and hope they will survive the heat.
My garden is serviced by an automatic watering system but when the weather gets this hot it does not seem enough.

I saw on the news the avalance in Canada, the footage was awesome, what magnificent scenery but how sad for those families who lost loved ones in the avalance.
What contrast from one side of the world to the other.

Have a great day all, I have been here longer than my intended '5 minutes'

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-21-2003, 10:38 PM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Peggy

I did receive several e-mails from friends about the the drug recall but I went to this web site..........

URL: Phenylpropanolamine Information Page

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa/default.htm

You can go there and check it out.
Slavika.

Last edited by slavika; 01-21-2003 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:40 AM   #14  
Life Time 2001

Karen Have fun on your trip! I havent been to Las Vegas in a looonngggggg time. Your pillows sound great!

Jenye: I saw on the news about the fires. That is alot of houses. Hope they get it under control soon.

Maria: Purple glasses will be easy to find! Hope you enjoy New Zealand! Sounds like you had a great time with your friend! New Zealond is suppose to be so pretty.

Slavika: Poor little princess. Is she doing better now? I hope they find out what it is. It does sound like an allergy to something. Could it possibly be soap? I developed a horrible rash when I was younger and it turned out to be deodrant soap. Break out even if I touch the stuff now.

Trudy: Wow your Daughter did good if she only has 7 pounds to lose to get back after having a baby. We always share desserts to. Some places give you so much anyways. We went to PF Changs a while a go and this lady ordered the chocolate cake. That piece could of feed at least 4 people it was huge!

Peggy: Get better! Never fun to be sick.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:47 PM   #15  
Ash

Default Heat, bushfires & much more Heat

Hi all,

Just a few words to update you an the state of the heat and the fires. Our high country just seems to "be going up in flames" with fires breaking out everywhere. 2 of my girlfriends were evacuated and as yet I haven't been able to contact them, there was houses lost in their area so all I can do is wait. We are also expecting a horror weekend in the 40's and once again the air conditioner looks really good.

Maria have a great time in New Zealand, it is a beautiful country and the family of a guy I used to know live in Hamilton. It is the only country out of Australia that I have been to.

Slavika The cupcakes were rather morrish (sorry if incorrect spelling) and I just loved them.

Lily, Trudy, Painter,Karen and any others that I have forgotten, Take care and regards to you all.

Jenye/Ash
Closed Thread