General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 353/Ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5

Default Its the most wonderful time of the month...

I hate this

My Periods are notoriously rough on me, Severe bloat and back pain...Midol doesn’t help much (plus i try to avoid medications as much as possible)

I decided to weigh myself today. I usually only weigh myself on Sundays but i though i should check out my weight since this is my first period since i started my new life style and whuddyah know! im up 2 pounds! I’m trying not to be hard on myself since i read somewhere that you can gain as much as 8+ pounds of water weight during your time of the month.

I tried to get on the treadmill. I usually love it but it was MISERABLE! My back hurt so bad. I had to stop after a quarter mile...i might try again later tonight..

On top of that, my husband is sick with a cough, Low grade fever, and diarrhea, so has turn into a big baby …*sigh* men!

And i feel a bit of that cough rubbing off on me grrr....

How do you ladies function during this lovely time while trying to lose weight? lol

Last edited by TyZzyzx; 07-28-2011 at 05:58 PM.
TyZzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I really feel for you! I absolutely know all about pain since I have chronic daily migraines. For colds, I use Oil of Oregano. It's a powerful herb that is found at a health food store and is a natural anti-viral, anti-bacterial. It really cuts down on the illness and helps with constipation too (in case that's an issue). You gotta start slowly of course, like with anything else. It tastes nasty so I mix it with something sweet and then you gotta drink lots of water all day so that your body can flush out the illness.

For bad periods, I've heard evening primrose oils can be helpful, although I've never tried it myself. You can research it, but here's a bit of info:

http://www.naturalherbsguide.com/evening-primrose.html

I don't know if you know that caffeine worsens symptoms of menstruation. Just hang in there though.....I always used to use my pain as an excuse to go off track with my eating, but that only made things much worse. If you can't work out, you can still eat right.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

I try to limit sugar and white flour, I avoid cold/ice water (for cramps), I never get on a scale, and unlike you I can't do without medication. Chamomile tea helps too. Stay strong.
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/200/130

Height: 5'2"

I also suffered through HORRIBLE periods. Migraines, extreme fatigue, cramps that could kill a person, heavy, heavy flow (sorry if that is TMI) I ended up getting the Depo shot so I wouldn't get a period. It has made a huge difference in my life. It is something to consider if you want to get your life back and get rid of the misery. Good luck to you!!
jltcmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Midol/Tylenol. Cobra pose. And a heat pad on my back.

I'm also on BCP -- that helps too.

Hang in there!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 08-01-2011 at 04:43 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #6  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I have a warm heating pad that is worth it's weight in gold. Seriously, invest in one! Chamomile tea is also very nice, I hear, though I'm sure just about any tea (except sugary ones) wouldn't hurt.

Luckymommy is right - you may not be able to exercise, but you can still eat right! I know you avoid meds, but if your periods are super awful, you might consider the pill? Just throwing it out there. It made my periods SOOO much better.

I'm already starting to gain just a bit (only 0.4 pounds, but still) in the days right before my period starts, and it's frustrating, but just don't let it get to you! It'll pass.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote