Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Question Baked Goodies on a Weekend Trip/Planned Splurges?

I'm going to Cedar Point for two days with my best friend at the end of August. She is one of three people who know all the details of my weight loss plan. I text her a weight update every Friday to keep myself accountable.

Well, I told her that for our trip we could pack a cooler of snacks and water so we aren't tempted to stop at gas stations along the way. I was mostly thinking of avoiding the temptation of Little Debbie snack cakes.

My friend asked me if I'm planning to splurge that weekend, and I told her honestly that I'm just not sure yet. I'm the kind of person who takes a few days off her plan and can easily fall all the way off. Sometimes I pick right back up, and others I don't. I'm already thinking of ways to combat any weight gain from eating out by working out in the hotel gym and/or swimming in the pool.

Well, friend emailed me today and said she would bake the snacks for our trip if I plan to splurge.

I was not even remotely thinking of splurging on our snack food. If I splurge, it'll be on actual meals, not on snacks that I only half enjoy because I'm driving while eating them. Mostly, I know that she's not a light baker. Her baked goods are DELICIOUS, but there would be no way to estimate how many calories are in each item. (And I won't be annoying and ask her to measure everything.) Plus, sweets are my ultimate weakness. I have virtually no will power when it comes to cookies/brownies/cake/etc. (Easier with bought low calorie treats because they're individually packaged, and I know the calories.)

Basically, the cooler thing has gotten blown up. I was only thinking of bottled water and chocolate pudding (50 calories Jell-O packs) or maybe those 100 calorie bags of cookies.

So... My question is this... How do I tell her that I don't want her to bake anything? Even if I decide to splurge, I'm going to record the calories because it helps me feel in control of my body. Would anyone else say yes to the baked goods? I don't want to sound rude. Come Christmas time I hope to be maintaining and able to eat her delicious baked goodies (in moderation, of course). Any advice?
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #2  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Just tell her. If she is a friend, she will surely understand.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #3  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

She has been along WITH you on your battle, she is in familiar territory so seriously doubt it would hurt her feelings I say this in truth. She asked initially BECAUSE of being concerned with your feelings and not wanting to make it more difficult on you, so the last thing she will want is to make you lose progress you have gained and then feed into your internal guilt meter. I am sure if you explain that you thought it out and decided not to splurge (and honestly, the low cal snacks WE call splurging, most people refer to as "diet food",lol) and to not take that risk. My bet is she will be absolutely fine with it and was probably looking for a way to make you enjoy the trip more (along with making sure it didn't mean more work for you). Maybe you could ask her to make a veggie platter for to-go for the cooler instead so she can still be "doing something"?
ItsMyTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #4  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I agree, tell her the truth! She asked if you were going to splurge, so lay out your plans for her. Tell her you'd rather bring the aforementioned light snacks, and splurge on meals. I'm sure she'll understand.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

First off, have a blast at Cedar Point! I'm fortunate to live near such a great park.
I just had this same experience when I took a girls' week with my mom, aunt, and godmother to the beach. I love to bake and sweets are like a drug for me. The ladies love my treats as well, and typically I'd bake a pan of homemade brownies, a batch of cookies, and so forth to not only eat in the long car ride but to snack on during the lazy day at the shore. Well, since I've adopted a healthier lifestyle and still have very little self-control when it comes to yummy chocolate items, I told the ladies that instead we'd snack on apples, nut bars, and similar items instead. They were so content with that! (It helps that each is in their mid-50s to early 60s and dealing with slower metabolisms.) Now, don't get me wrong: we ate awesome seafood dinners complete with bread/butter and full-fat sides each night, and splurged on ice cream nightly as well. However, we all agreed to spend our calories on some kick-butt meals that can only be had on the coast.
Be confident in your response to your friend and I'm sure you won't come across as rude.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Thanks, everyone! That helps a lot! I don't know why I was so worried. Y'all are right. I should just be honest with her. She'll totally understand. Guess I'm just used to my annoying coworkers making me feel bad for not eating out every Friday, but she's a friend who cares about me so she'll support me. Thanks again!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote