Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197.6/185.2/150

Height: 5'3

Default Jewelry problems

I've lost a little over 30 lbs since I got engaged. We're getting married next month and my ring seems to be getting looser and looser every week. Also, all of my watches are too big and slipping down my arm. I still have another 20 lbs to go. I can easily get the links taken out of my watches, but what about my engagement ring? I don't want to get it resized if I still plan on losing more weight.
Angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

are you still planning to wear your engagement ring after you get married? if so, best to get it resized before it accidentally falls off your finger and down the drain or something....i dont know what the cost of resizing is...but if that were me, and i planned to keep wearing it, i would want to prevent accidentally having it get too loose and fall off where i cant get it back

my engagement ring never fit to begin with....i still wear it on a little silver chain around my neck...and when we shopped for wedding rings, i chose one that fit....however my fingers dont carry much fat anyhow and even with weight loss, my wedding band still fits
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
are you still planning to wear your engagement ring after you get married? if so, best to get it resized before it accidentally falls off your finger and down the drain or something....i dont know what the cost of resizing is...but if that were me, and i planned to keep wearing it, i would want to prevent accidentally having it get too loose and fall off where i cant get it back

my engagement ring never fit to begin with....i still wear it on a little silver chain around my neck...and when we shopped for wedding rings, i chose one that fit....however my fingers dont carry much fat anyhow and even with weight loss, my wedding band still fits
Yeah...I plan to keep wearing it. I tried on my wedding band yesterday and it seems to fit a little bit better than my engagement ring. We're going on a cruise for our honeymoon and I'm starting to get a little concerned about it coming off then.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #4  

I just thought of something....maybe i can get another band to wear on top of the ring and get it in a size that fits! That will stop my ring from coming off!! I wonder if he would go for that vs. resizing..lol!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Maybe flip them around so the engagement ring is on the bottom for the cruise and until you can get it re sized. I like your second ring idea though very clever!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Get it sized - there is no reason not to, especially if you're at risk of losing it if it slips off. The jeweler who sold the ring to you should do it at no cost, and the turnaround time is minimal.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #7  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Depending on the store you bought it from, if you go back and buy the protection plan, it will cover sizing. It's usually a percentage of the cost of the ring-- I think mine was $80 five years ago, but you can get it sized as many times as you want for free. I got it done a couple times while I was losing weight the first time (pre-baby I lost 70 lbs. and went down 2 sizes in rings). If your ring is white gold, those plans usually also cover replating with rhodium, which is what keeps your white gold bright and shiny. My plan paid for itself after just two of those things.

If the place you bought it from doesn't offer that, you could try one of those ring "huggies"-- little plastic pieces that go around the bottom of your ring to make it more snug. However, if it were me, I'd cough up the $30-$40 for peace of mind against losing it. You can't replace the sentimental value of something like that.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/188/175

Height: 5'5"

Yeah--I didn't want to spend the $$ to get mine resized either. Until it slipped off my finger last winter! Luckily it fell off in the car so it wasn't lost. After my heart started beating again I got it resized. Totally worth it.

BUT--if you don't want to get it resized right away, try wearing it on your right hand. If you're right handed, your fingers may be just a bit bigger and it could work for a while.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186.6/166.6/150

Height: 5'2"

My rings are getting looser too. I stopped a a jewelers today and the woman put a ring gaurd on my engagement ring. It snugged it right up and will hold my band on. She didn't even charge me anything but just asked that when I finished losing weight and wanted to have my rings resized, that I'd bring them there to have done. She's got my business.
proulxliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #10  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I LOVE your idea of wearing a second ring to hold the larger one in place! Then, once you reach your goal, you could have it sized! Remember, this is a nice problem to have (as long as you don't lose it, that is)!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I had mine resized twice after weight loss before my wedding. We bought the protection plan and I can get tt resized as often as I needed. It was definitely worth it.

However, I did put a bit of scotch tape around it for awhile when we were on a trip and I couldn't have it resized immediately.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote