Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

Default Diet Soda ( or Pop, cola, etc)

I've heard that the sweetener in diet drinks triggers hunger later on. Does anyone feel as though this is true....or not true for them?

I'm beginning to think that I need to cut out the soda not only for this reason but for the water retention it causes as well.
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i usually have 1-2 cans of diet soda during the day...it hasnt caused a problem with water retention or with weight loss...it also doesnt trigger hunger for me, especially because carbonated drinks fill me up

but to each his own also....everyone else will most likely have a different experience than i've had
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I drank one dt coke a week during my journey. It was more of a "treat" for me. To this day, I drink one maybe once every 2 weeks. I don't really crave it as often. I guess you can say I weened myself off of them. That one soda didn't hurt my weightloss, and I didn't find it made me hungry later. Like Alaskanlaughter said, carbonated drinks also make me full.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've dieted with and without caffeine, artificial sweeteners, and sodas (sometimes without one of the three, and sometimes without all of them). I've also dieted with plans that ban carbohydrates, sugars, and even "sweet" foods.

For me, there's no difference in weight loss as long as I'm keeping a food journal and in some way limiting my food intake. For me, that almost always means a counting plan (exchanges or calories work best for me. I like exchanges best because I've been using them longest, starting in 1972 as an 8 year old member of Weight Watchers).

In my own experience, sweet foods and concentrated carbohydrates (like potatoes, pastas, and grains) do tend to make me hungrier especially for more sweets and carbohydrates. The stronger the sweet flavor or the carb count, the stronger the "I want more" effect. Processed sugar is by far the worst, but even the artificial sweeteners and the natural sugar in fruit and the starches in potatoes do trigger hunger and my sweet tooth.

I see it as a trade-off. I could decide to ban all sources of sweetness and concentrated carbs from my diet, or I can stick to a calorie/exchange budget.

I prefer the budget method than the banning method.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #5  
Happy Member

I have enjoyed my diet soda drinks all through my weight-loss journey. They actually have helped me stay on track as I view them as treats.

Everyone is different.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

I also enjoy diet soda every once and awhile. I had gotten really dependent on it, and was drinking WAY too much. So now, maybe 3 cans a week, and only if I've gotten my water in for the day. I stopped drinking them in the quantities I was not because it was affecting my diet, or weight, but I worry about the chemicals in them. So, I cut way, way back.
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2330142.shtml

There are a lot of studies like this one out there that show a correlation between diet soda and hunger. However, as with all things, it depends on you and how much you're consuming. Many people have no problem consuming a can or two a day.

As far as water retention goes, if you're drinking enough water, it shouldn't be a problem.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 232/153/135

Height: 5'3"

It honestly does not trigger my hunger.

*However* because I tend to go to a drive through "just" to get a diet soda, I limit myself because it lessens the temptation to get some other thing in addition to the diet soda.

I too worry a bit about the chemicals, so that (along with the trigger *behavior*) is why I've decided to eliminate them except at sit down restaurant meals (we don't go out to eat very often as a family, so it's an occasional treat now, and I don't even always choose it.)
tigerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #9  
89lbs going, going...

S/C/G: 221/221/145

Height: 5'6"

I really try to limit my soda but that is more because of my goal to eat more whole/natural foods and I don't know of any soda lakes in nature lol!

If you find it doesn't make you eat more from your own food journaling then having a small amount is fine in my book!
chubbycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I drink a fair amount of diet soda, but I'd eventually like to cut down. I don't think it causes hunger or cravings, though. As long as my diet is pretty restricted, I'll probably keep drinking it because it is a nice treat.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

i have one can of diet soda at night with dinner...that's all i will allow
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #12  

Height: 5'1"

I actually find that it curbs my hunger so I have it every day. Although I have to say that it worries me a little because I know it isn't healthy in the long run.
jedesherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #13  
Just keep swimming!

S/C/G: 260/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Diet pop doesn't cause cravings or increased hunger for me, but I do notice water retention if I drink more than a can, so I've stopped drinking it except for the occasional treat.
melni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Doesn't cause cravings or hunger for other foods - although it can make me crave more diet soda. If I have 1 - I'll have strong desire to have another, and another - and forget about my water.

It's not something I drink everyday like I used to since it's debatable how it'll effect our health later - mainly I read it can leech calcium from our bones and effect bones and teeth later...
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 265/210/125

Height: 5'0"

There isn't a diet soda on the market that I can tolerate, but I drink a lot of sugar free Koolaid and Crystal Light (both aspartame, I believe), and I definitely haven't noticed any effects like increased hunger, etc. I like to keep calories from drinks as close to zero as possible at all times, and without those two products, I'd be FAR more inclined to go back to drinking a litre of Pepsi a day.
cortandcooper is offline   Reply With Quote