Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/183/150

Height: 5'8"

Question Exercise to strengthen back?

So, I have a very weak lower back and the first time I try to do an exercise that strengthens it, my back went out. Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises that could strengthen the muscles of my lower back? I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me! Thank you!!
maita88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think to have a strong back, you need strong abs/core. I'd look into things like planks (done from knees/incline at first), supermans and other similar exercises. You could also do things like a modified cobra as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #3  

I'll look into those, thanks! I can't do the superman, that's what threw my back out to begin with. I'll have to look into ab exercises too, crunches have never seemed to work for me, maybe i'm not doing them right?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Can you do a modified superman? Doing one arm/one leg and not as deep may be better. Crunches are good but there are a lot of core exercises and just changing your angle can help.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #5  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Pull ups! I love my pull up bar. If you aren't strong enough yet to do a pullup, do "modified" pullups. Grab a chair (to get yourself up) and just hang there as long as you can, then try to slowly lower yourself...repeat.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #6  

I have degenerative disk disease and 3 disks in my lower back are pretty much shattered, for lack of a better word. I have sciatica down my right side. My mid back is starting to go which is causing my left shoulder and arm to have problems. My chiropractor has been on me for about a year now to lose the weight and work on making my back stronger.

I dont want surgery. My cousin had the same thing, she had fusion done and now shes worse. No thanks. I will pass. So, getting through the pain of exercise is a must.

I work from home, so I sit on an exercise ball during the day (for a few hours) to help make my core stronger. They do have special disks and even desk chair balls for those who are in an office. The disk goes in your chair.

I also do exercises with a ball, mine came with a chart and a DVD so I do those. She also has a class , so maybe your local chiropractor can point you in the right direction.

My old chiro, who lives in another state, gave me a bunch of print outs for exercises to do at home. Pretty similar to the ball exercises.

I also have an ab lounge which I use as an inversion table, it helps to take some of the stress off my lower back, I use it at the end of the day.

Been told to do Yoga too. I just ordered a Yoga DVD just for people with back problems. Have not tried it yet.
irishchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #7  
Ninja Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 204/204/126

Height: 5'2"

I echo irishchik's comment on yoga. I don't have any diagnosed back issues, but do have a lot of tension back there all the time, which is likely from something going on. So, I looked up back yoga on a video podcast and found a video that I find to be AMAZING! In fact, it's called YOGAmazing
eliz204to126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

I have scitica nerve problem. My personal insrtructor is teaching me ball exercises and also streching. I wonder whether i should go to chiropractor. It will cost me $30per visit.
Does your problem goes for ever or you have to go to them whole life?
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #9  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Yoga Yoga Yoga
Pilates Pilates Pilates

I have a rod in my back due to scoliosis. I noticed Yoga and Pilates are the best way to go. No more back pains when sleeping, easier to get up in the morning, I can lay on the floor and then GET UP. (Big step for me).
The biggest thing you can do is strengthen your core. As stated above, ball training exercises are GREAT for this. Crunches use to hurt me too. I followed better videos online and practiced. Now they are a cinch and no more random uncomfortable pains.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

deadlifts
deadlifts
deadlifts
deadlifts
and
once again
deadlifts

it may also come afrom a weak core, in which case exercises like planks will definitely help--- IF YOU CAN DO THEM WITH GOOD FORM
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Another vote for yoga! In my opinion it is one of the best, if not the best, exercise for your core.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:14 AM   #12  
*Amat Victoria Curam*

Height: 5'10'

For peeps who are using a ball and doing exercises with it, do you recommend anything? I'm on Amazon buying some other items to support my health goals, and it's overwhelming.

Later this fall I may be able to take a yoga class (we have a new ymca opening) but right now I'm a good 45 minutes away from any city, so I'm looking at yoga dvds that might work with back issues. Mine are in my lower back from a work injury in 2008, and I'm looking forward to strengthening my abs along with weight loss, because it doesn't get better on its own.

Any recommendations would be helpful in those two areas!
Singe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #13  

I definitely know its from a weak core. I'll try the ball exercises. I could never get into Yoga, it just seemed too slow and boring for me. Same with Pilates
Old 07-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #14  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Some physical therapy exercises for strengthening the lower back are supermans, bird dogs and planks. If the supermans hurt you , skip them or build up slowly, don't raise up so high.
Deadlifts do strengthen the back, but if you're prone to injury proceed very carefully. Maybe do some without any weight.

A yoga move that I like is to just go from downward facing dog to upward facing dog. I don't hold it for any length of time, just move slowly and fluidly from one move to the next. ( I find yoga and pilates boring also - lol )
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #15  

Could you please explain the bird dog one? I always liked that yoga pose, I'll give that a try too! Thanks!