Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 09:36 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Arrow Steel Magnolias #304

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely warm evening this day. I have had a great 18 point day this day and am glad to report so far this week it is not a hungry week. Hope it continues to be so.

BUBBLES if that is a high pile carpet than it might make a difference but if it is a low pile type carpet then it won't make a difference in the WW scales. Those scales cost around $1500. Anyway that is an answer we got from a leader before when the question was raised. Needless to say though I do hope that your 3 pounds is gone when you weigh once again.

Everyone have a nice weekend.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:33 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am on my way to bed and thought I would say "good night!" I had a perm right after school, hit the grocery store on my way home, and fell asleep in front of the TV. I figure if I'm going to sleep I may as well do it in the comfort of my bed.

It's 12 degrees here but the wind chill is way below 0 because it is so windy. If it were snowing we would be in a blizzard! The wind cuts right through your coat tonight.

Bubbles -- I can't believe the weather you are having! Of course we haven't had a "normal" winter either.

Maggie -- Our WW scale sits on a piece of plywood on top of the carpet. The carpet is indoor/outdoor without any depth to it. I didn't realize the scales were that expensive; guess I really didn't stop to think about it.

Hope you all have a super weekend! I'm hoping to get lots done!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-18-2003, 01:50 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Arrow Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I was wrong. The morning papers said it was 85 yesterday and here I thought it was in the high 70's. Still didn't change the fact that it was top down weather, which it still is folks. I just finished a delicious breakfast for 5 points. I had a 4 point BLT and a half cup of OJ. Also my coffee ~ of course.

JEAN well I guess they got to pay a lot for scales if they are gonna weigh folks up to 600 there plus weigh hundreds of times other folks that step up to be accounted. Gotta be accurate, not like the ones folks put in their bathrooms. A new perm aught to put a smile on your face when you look in that mirror. I need a trim.

Have a nice OP day everyone.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #4  

Hi,
I wish you hadn't told me the cost of those scales! I carry one with me from one site to another all the time. It stays in my car, which can't be good for it at these temps. I've also dropped it getting it out of the Bean bag on several occasions. The little yellow cone shaped thing on the front broke off a couple of months ago, in the bag. We just got a directive from our franchise owner that kind of ticked me off. She acts as though they're doing us a favor by letting us work.........both leaders here are from another county and have to drive at least 45 min., so it's not as if people are standing in line to be leaders or clerks. I get my nose out of joint when we're paid for two hours no matter how long we stay.........oh well, I like the people and feel I'm providing a service, so I'll continue. They've hired "supervisors" to come around to make visits and critique us.......can't wait til they see me weighing over the bathroom sink using a bulletin board placed across it as the desk When someone wants to use the jon before they weigh, I vacate my "office". And they're always harping on us about looking professional, etc.

Jean,
We're really not that far south, and because of the altitude(2,500'), our temps are about the same as those in Toronto. We used to be involved in an exchange program with a town on lake Erie called Dunville, which took place in May. We'd be up there the week before Memorial Day weekend, and it was always cooler at home than up there. Unfortunately, due to "politics" at their end, it came to a sad end about 5 years ago after a 25 year run and lots of enduring friendships. Kids have participated in their partner's weddings, visited back and forth with their families, and other things over the years. The topography there is as I imagine yours to be.........flat. One spring we were there when they were having some flooding. The town is on the mouth of the Grand River, and I kept looking at the river, thinking something's not right. It finally dawned on me that because they're so flat, the river doesn't rock and roll like it does here, but just keeps spreading out like syrup on a plate. The current doesn't appear to be any swifter or anything, except the water is brown. It was a real eye opener for me.

My Duke boys just lost their first basketball game to Maryland. That's probably a good thing, and next time they meet it will be in Durham

Made cheesy lasagna yesterday, and I guess we'll do a rerun tonight. It is so good! Mike loves it, so that's a plus. Guess I'd better get it out of the fridge, since he'll be home around 5.

We're supposed to have snow most of next week, starting tomorrow night. Our 75 buses travel almost 6,000 miles per day! which gives you an idea of how large the county is. Some of the buses are diesel fueled, and they don't do cold weather very well. This is the coldest it's been in 3 years according to the local news team. I can believe it!

Off to the kitchen.
Fondly,
Bubbles
Old 01-18-2003, 06:13 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Arrow Saturday Afternoon

BUBBLES perhaps your scales aren't the expensive kind for I never saw a yellow cone shaped thingie on ours. Ours are didigital and have a remote box where the weight shows up on a table or desk or clipboard over a sink. With the abuse your scales get it is a wonder that they do weigh accurate ~ or do they Can't a screen be used in a corner of your place instead of using the bathroom for weigh in? Or is the place so small this is the best they can offer to project your very professional image. I would think of a job with WW as a volunteer job and the pay as an extra. You won't get rich working for them for sure.

We are fortunate here to have a separate little weigh in room - actually we have two of them. Plus there is a scale where wheel chair folks can be rolled upon it to be weighed. And another scale out by the sign in counther to weigh quickly if you aren't going to stay for meeting. This is a permanent place in a mall that isn't used for any other function. The one in Ojai where I used to attend and still visit on some Monday's is in the Women Center building. They have a room to lock their things in and have to "set up" every Monday. This is a nice big building where "functions" are held like wedding receptions, huge stage with a grand piano on it for performances and the like. When I attended in TN it was space in a local church.

Maybe those busses that use diesael need to use that additive they have out for colder weather places or switch to a mixture of 1 and 2 which works also. We have lived in colder weather than you could even imagine with a diesel and the mixture of 1 and 2 worked for us like a charm.

If you are talking about that WW lasagna recipe it is very good. I think I am having cheese soup for dinner. Ate roasted chicken for lunch.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:42 AM   #6  
Web Nana

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a cold one this morning. It was 3 above yesterday AM and is a heat wave at 25 above right now. The weatherman said to expect some cold weather by Wednesday......wonder what he calls this? I envy your 85, Maggie, I will think of it all day and maybe I will be warmer.

MAGGIE: Your are having a great start of a new year. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

JEAN: Yes, it is good it is not snowing here either! Later this week when the COLD weather get here we are also suppose get wind. So we will have wind chill factor to deal with also.

BUBBLES: Your discription of the area you are in is very much like NH & VT. Those areas are not so far from here but when you get there it is another world. I can imagine all that driving in bad weather and all would take a toll on the buses.

DD#3 and sil have made their local paper. She sent me an email copy. Seems that a few families in their area have erected skating rinks in their back yards....they are one of the skate rink owners. The local paper ran an article discribing the varied construction tactics they used and ran pictures of one of the families at play. DD says they use the rink all the time and the 9yr is really good and the 6yr old is just starting but also loves it. GD 3 yrs. just slides around pushing a milk crate but her feet are too small for the skates she has. Next year she will be skating circles around her brothers. They organize neighborhood skating parties and set up a card table and have hot chocolate and other hot beverages for the adults. They are creating great memories for the kids as well as getting great excersize for all. It is also better to be skating on the rink than trying some local pond that could get dangerous in warmer weather.

Yesterday we took Cam to his basketball game...a whole area of 9 yr olds running back and forth. What fun we had. The gym was divided and they had two half court games going at the same time.

Gloria in MA.....having a quiet day before more baby sitting tomorrow.... stay warm everyone except Maggie...you stay cool!
Old 01-19-2003, 08:08 PM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It is a "warm" 32 degrees here tonight -- much better than the 1 degree last night! The sun was in and out all day today and it was warm enough to melt quite a bit of the snow that fell earlier in the week. Daughter Beth came home yesterday afternoon and spent the night with us. We went to early church and just hung out around the house the rest of the time. WE sorted through some of her stuff. Now I need to get busy and think about the coming week.

Why is it the two day weekends always seem to fly by so fast?

Maggie -- I never like my perm for the first week or two; it's always too short and too tight. I just tell myself it will grow eventually. Your weather sounds so nice!

Bubbles -- The exchange idea sounds like a fun one and it's too bad it ended, for whatever the reason. Iowa is an interesting state because it has flat land along with the hills and valleys along the rivers on both sides of the state. The southern part is much slower paced and laid back compared to the north. Our WW is also held in a church basement where the leaders can lock everything in a closet. They have quite an assortment of books and food which they pack away in Rubbermaid tubs. They use the long tables with a scale on each end; two gals weigh while two work the $$ table. I think our scale is like the one Maggie described; I don't remember anything yellow on it.

Gloria -- I guess if you are going to have the cold weather, it's nice that your grandchildren can enjoy the ice skating. I spent many hours on a rink as a kid and never seemed to mind the cold. I always enjoyed the "little tykes" playing ball . . . before the parents got so involved that it wasn't fun any more. Some parents get carried away being the bleacher coach and take all the fun out of the game.

I need to get busy and do some ironing. Just when I think I am caught up more seems to appear out of nowhere!

Have a marvelous Monday and a great week!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:44 AM   #8  
One Day At A Time

Good Morning...

I had a busy, busy weekend. Finished up some curtains for our family room. I wish I had just bought some, but wanted to save some money. Took so much of my time, didn't get regular stuff done.

Then DS and family came for dinner yesterday. Had a good time. Made gd who is 4 a crocheted blankie for her baby doll. It's only a 4X5" piece and she loved watching me make it and "helped" a little.

Sounds like some of you are getting really cold weather. I guess that is what is moving in near here this week. I do not like cold anymore at all.

Maggie - What kind of menu do you have on a 18 point day? I may have to do those a time or two. You are doing so great.

Gloria - Those kind of skating rinks are the best. It's been a long time ago, but I remember doing that in upstate NY when we lived there. Good family and neighborhood fun!!!

I have to get started working. Been here for awhile and need to get at it.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:43 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is trying hard to snow; there have been a few snowflakes fall off and on all day long. I wish if it were going to snow, it would do a "big" one and get it over with! It feels damp and cold outside -- only 14 degrees as I type.

Joyce -- I thought I would see more posts since I missed visiting yesterday. I had card club last night and went to bed when I got home. We sat and visited later than usual. I tried making simple curtains for our son's dorm room several years ago. I goofed on the measuring part and they had enough fabric to do several rooms. I used wild colored fabric so from the street, I'm sure people wondered what kind of a room it was!

I have WW in an hour and I'm going to face the music. I don't know why but I just don't seem to get my "poop in a group!" (That is the latest saying among the students at school.) I've got to get back on track or I will have gained back the 15# I lost last summer.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa where it is damp and cold!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:43 AM   #10  

Good Morning Magnolias,

Partially atoned for my sins and lost 2.4# athis week:~} I'm on a roll. I've started doing Wendy's plan with the alternating points that Maggie speaks of all the time. I guess youall know, without a computer to play with, "the madam" will be "topdowning" all over Calif. while others of us are freezing our tushes off! We're to have a low of 0- -5 tonight, a couple of inches of snow, and more tomorrow with a high of 10. I gave away all my heavy wool pants because they were too big..............BIG MISTAKE!!!! I'm on the hunt for some heavy duty leggings or tights.

Gloria, you're right on the money............we're just like VT and NH, except our mountains are higher.........it's the old Ice Age thing. The Smokies in NC and TN are higher than ours, but then it fizzles out in north GA. My elementary school geography finally clicked in when I travelled to NE........seeing is believing.
Love the back yard rinks, and it does bring back memories of my childhood in northern NJ until I was 12. I went back there about 5 years ago, and the sleigh riding hills I thought were so steep, weren't ..........guess it's a matter of perspective

Our new traditional meeting place is in a church Sunday school room, and we are allowed to leave our materials there. However, since I work both groups, I have to take my scale with me. That gives us two scales at the hospital, which is nice. Ours are the Tanita's with the remote readout pad which could be placed behind a screen if we had one. They're lucky to have the Bull. board over the sink.........WW sure didn't supply it.....it was the innovative teacher in me who found it........we're used to "making do", aren't we Jean?

I'm waiting from word from our Tues. night leader. We ran out of Getting Started books last night. She thinks she may have some left from her Community group at school, and if that's so, i"ll be making a 150 mile round trip up to Snowshoe Ski Resort to pick them up so the four members who didn't get them will have them today. I could wait for DeDe to bring them down tomorrow evening, but then they wouldn't get them until Friday, which would make their first week really tough.

Joyce, I understand about the curtains! I had some draperies made when we were first married. I measured those *@#* windows at least 6 times! When the suckers came back, they were two inches too short. Fortunately, my husband's aunt was visiting and was able to alter the 4" hem into a 2". Needless to say, I don't measure anything anymore.

Better take JimBob for a quick walk.
Have a great humpday one and all.
Fondly,,
Bubbles

Last edited by graybubs; 01-22-2003 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:07 PM   #11  
One Day At A Time

Congratulations Bubbles - That is a great loss!!!

I hope I get back here later. Busy, busy work day.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:32 PM   #12  
Web Nana

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Still in the midst of our COLD spell! They say it should warm up next week The wind has started which makes for below 0 wind chills. Just the time to break out the long johns.

BUBBLES: Don't think I would like to live in the mountains all the time. Those hilly, windy roads would be the end of my driving. Of course, I am not admitting to being but..... CONGRATULATIONS on you 2.4# lose this week. Keep up the good work.

JEAN: Wishing you good luck on your WI. Your weather being damp does not bear good tidings for us as we usually get it the following week. At least ours is dry for now.

JOYCE: Four year old GD are such fun. Everything you do for them is so appreciated. Now that GD is 9 it is baking and does she love to cook. With GS it is a different story but some still like to cook. Especially if it is cookies.

MAGGIE: Hope this weeks WW will continue your downward spiral in the weight department. Keep enjoying that lovely topdown weather.

We have a church appreciation dinner-dance on Friday and I have a nice long black skirt to wear, 2 yrs old, but needed a new top. Finally found a silver top that looks like a jacket over a scoop neck tee but it is all once piece. looks good with the skirt. Cost all of $11.00....Sears had a big sale today. Feeling lucky!
Next week we will be having our annual 'Flurries'...it is the progressive dinner on our street. Appetizer at one house, main course at another and dessert at a third. Every is assigned an appetizer/dessert or main course to bring. Loads of fun and we collect canned goods for the local Food Pantry.

Gloria in MA....keeping warm.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:42 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is 9* here and BRRRRRY cold outside! I am ready for some warmer weather but the forecast is for even colder temperatures and some snow.

Bubbles -- What a WONDERFUL loss! CONGRATULATIONS!! I know you worked hard for that. I had to laugh at your measuring drapes . . . we should work together since I had too much and you had too little! I hope you didn't have to make the drive for the WW books.

Joyce -- Nice to see you peek in! Hope you are keeping warm.

Gloria -- My WI was UGLY to say the least. No one to blame but myself and so far today has been a GOOD day. Now if I can just keep it going in that direction I will have a good WI next week. The dinner dance sounds like fun and you will look spiffy in your new top. What are you taking to the progressive dinner? I always thought they were so much fun.

I'd better go check on my supper in the oven. I'm baking chicken and have to find something to go with it.

Have a terrific Thursday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:55 PM   #14  

Greetings from Wild, Wonderful West Virginia,

We're in the minus columns in temps also........it's already snowing on the western end of the county. They've already called for a 2 hour delay, but I'd say it's another snow day with the cold. We have many elementary schools which are still heated with coal(some call it black gold ), and there's no way they can keep those buildings warm with the wind whipping around. Also, those poor kids who catch the buses at 6:30 are the ones who are least prepared for the weather.

Indeed, I did go to Marlinton to pick up the Getting Started books. My friend rode up with me, and we had a grand time. It was a glorious, sunny day and the car was nice and toasty....it doesn't get any better than that

Well, my Duke Blue Devils are about to get on the floor for a late game, so I need to go get ready People think I'm nuts, but I'm sure Duke Basketball isn't the only reason

Stay warm!
Bubs
Old 01-23-2003, 12:03 PM   #15  

Hi All,
Well, almost couldn't log on again, but they it did let me log on manually and accepted my password, so I guess I'm legit. It is cold as whiz and "blowin' a gale" as my waterman father used to say. The windchill is between 10 & 20 below. We're going to go ahead and have our weighin at the hospital this evening. Hope the folks who want to roll over will do that at least.

There's a Wheaten Terrier pup, six months, at the Animal Shelter whose time has just about run out. I'm going to call them to see about contacting the Wheaten Rescue League. I hate seeing or hearing of any healthy animal being put down, but I sure don't need another one! Three is enough for one who lives on a busy street only 2 blocks from the middle of the 'burg.

Have a good one.
bubs
Closed Thread