Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Height: 5'6

Default Low Calorie Fast Food and Guilt

So I was really stressed out today and HOT. We went to Wendys for lunch and normally I would wait till I got home to make myself bite, but I was starving so I ordered a small chili. It was just what I needed to fill up. With only 6 grams of fat and 210 calories, I know I shouldn't feel depressed that I ate it, but I feel like a failure. I know it sounds rediculous, but I feel likeI cheated. Do any of you fell like this?

Last edited by Shmoops; 07-26-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #2  
m3k
One LB at a time...

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 6"

I wish I felt the same, but I eat Wendy's chili all of the time. My mom used to do so as well when she was on Weight Watchers, and she had some pretty fantastic results.

Yes, it is a bit high in fat, however, the amount of protein is fabulous. It's almost a full meal, and it's tiny! It's also filled with vegetables. I know every time I eat it, I'm good for several hours, it's so filling.

I don't think you should feel like you cheated. Making the decision to eat the chili was way better than having a big burger or some fries. I think you did the right thing.
m3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoops View Post
So I was really stressed out today and HOT. We went to Wendys for lunch and normally I would wait till I got home to make myself bite, but I was starving so I ordered a small chili. It was just what I needed to fill up. With only 6 grams of fat and 210 calories, I know I shouldn't feel depressed that I ate it, but I feel like a failure. I know it sounds rediculous, but I feel likeI cheated. Do any of you fell like this?
Maybe you feel like you failed because we are so used to thinking about weight loss as something that requires deprivation and doesn't allow us to eat out. However, what you did at Wendy's is something to be proud of. Once we are all at goal weights, we have to learn maintenance. Part of maintenance (and even weight loss) is being able to eat out now and again while making good low cal choices. It's a lifestyle change - not something that requires extreme deprivation. You did great! I ate Wendy's chili all the time when I lost weight the first time.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #4  

I think you should be proud!! I do know what you mean though. I had subway a week or so ago. I had turkey on a 6" wheat roll loaded with veggies. All in all it was a healthy choice for me to make at that particular time. I did feel guilty, but I went to subway again and I felt better the second time. I had it twice in that week and still lose 3.3lbs, so, be proud of yourself for not indulging in burgers & fries! Great job!
LoveMyah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Don't feel bad - there are so many worse options you could have picked! I'm thinking about trying their chili as I've read a lot of other dieters who love it, but I can be a bit picky.

I guess the best advice I can pass on is that you have to be able to listen to your body's hunger cues. Maybe normally you order and drive home and eat because you got to Wendy's before you were starving, but today it just didn't work out that way. I made the mistake of not eating anything during my break at work today and was so hungry that I resorted to Subway and then some more snacks at home >_< I'll still be able to stay on track calorie wise today, but I realize now that I have to plan a little better around my breaks so I won't have to eat a bunch once I get off of work.
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
Maybe you feel like you failed because we are so used to thinking about weight loss as something that requires deprivation and doesn't allow us to eat out. However, what you did at Wendy's is something to be proud of. Once we are all at goal weights, we have to learn maintenance. Part of maintenance (and even weight loss) is being able to eat out now and again while making good low cal choices. It's a lifestyle change - not something that requires extreme deprivation. You did great! I ate Wendy's chili all the time when I lost weight the first time.
I SECOND THIS^^!!! Oh and I LOVE Wendy's Chilli.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-25-2011 at 06:11 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #7  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I had something very similar happen today! I was out with my mom and sister, so I had to grab some fast food. I ended up at Taco Bell, but I found something that was only 400 calories (which is meal-size, of course). It was high on carbs, but I don't eat a lot of carbs elsewhere, so I know I shouldn't have felt too bad. But I still feel like I cheated!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Me too. I had 1000 cals extra for the week because of how much I worked out, and I sat around and ate sweets with those extra calories. I knew I would still lose weight because they were extra, but I felt so guilty. I say just learn from your experiences. I won't be eating sweets if I have extra calories, and I decided I have too much of a sweet tooth so I'm limiting my "sweets" to 200 cals a day. Your chili was healthy (beans, veggies, meat) and probably only a bit of useless additives in there so I wouldn't feel bad. But if you can't get over it just agree that you'll do something different next time. Order a chicken breast-toss the bun, potato, and mandarin oranges (that's what I always get), and feel good about your choice after Good luck!
ovwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh my, IMHO, you should not feel guilty at all! I eat out all the time. I have set favourites at different restaurants, and it enables me to eat out with my family and stay within my calorie count....not cheating at all, in my book!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Height: 5'6

Thanks so much for all the input. And by the way, I meant guilt, not quilt! LOL! I guess I have trouble with it bc I have a hard time trusting the nutritional information, but I guess in time, I will get over that
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #11  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

You should feel great about your sensible choice, not bad about the fact that it came from a fast-food place.

We live in the real world, a world in which really long, tiring days mean you just plain don't want to come home and cook a whole healthy meal. Wendy's chili is not a sin, it's a convenience and a smart choice compared to a lot of other fast food places and menu options.

I noticed you wrote "we," so I'm gathering you went out to eat with others? And you had a chili while they ate their lunches? And you felt full and satisfied with your chili? Honey...that isn't failure, that is a major victory on multiple fronts!

Enjoying your meal doesn't make it cheating. I enjoy all of mine and I'm still moseying along.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #12  
Restricting my way down..

S/C/G: 213/ticker/160now150!

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkaleidoscopic View Post
I had something very similar happen today! I was out with my mom and sister, so I had to grab some fast food. I ended up at Taco Bell, but I found something that was only 400 calories (which is meal-size, of course). It was high on carbs, but I don't eat a lot of carbs elsewhere, so I know I shouldn't have felt too bad. But I still feel like I cheated!
I've been eating at Taco Bell a few times a week since I started CCing. The fresco menu (or Drive Thru menu although you can get items inside too) is lower calorie. The fresco chicken soft taco & the fresco grilled steak soft taco are between 150-180 calories apiece. The regular soft taco supreme is 230. Not bad!
ScottieMama is offline   Reply With Quote