Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/244.6/190

Height: 5'7"

Default looking for some motivation

May 23rd I recommitted, and was doing fairly well. I was feeling good and eating alright. Last week was SOOOO hot. I got unmotivated and didnt workout. Which lead to not eating right. I feel horrible. Disappointed. Just looking for some motivation to help me jump back in after my horrible week. Thanks.
iamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #2  
300+ Chick

On your 14 Lbs loss!! Don't lose hope.. Keep it going..YOU can do this!! Hang in there and remain strong!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/225/200

Height: 5'5"

"When you get bucked off, you always get right back on" The same applies when you are making a lifestyle change. Just because you had a bad meal/day/week/month whatever, doesn't mean that you can't break that cycle and get back on track. You can do this! It's what you want! And look how far you've already come!! Way to go! Good luck!!
Bamber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #4  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I, for one, did the same thing this week. I let it slide and decided that tomorrow I am right back on the plan. All I had to do was look at the jeans that are my next "fit into" goal. You can do this. Heat makes everything harder. I didn't eat a lot but I didn't eat well. That is going to catch up with me. I even avoided the scale today.

Take a deep breath, make a list of everything you want to restart, and do it. We are all here for you
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #5  
LGW
#justfortoday

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'

iamerican: Great job on your weight loss thus far!!!!

Avoid the all or nothing mentality. Even if you eat healthy most of the time you will be successful. The goal is to jump back on the wagon the very next meal...not the next day or the next week....

Also, learn to modify your favorite meals so that when you have a bad meal it's not so completely off plan...when I get urges...I dine out and get delicious grilled chicken or shrimp with asparagus or brocolli and then get right back on the wagon :-)

Life will happen...the key is planning....

LGW

Last edited by LGW; 07-23-2011 at 10:49 PM.
LGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

If you really want this, I mean Really, really, really want it, you will find a way. I didn't "work out" for the first 60ish pounds lost. I worked 100% on my over eating at first. Once that was under control, and I had a good solid plan in place, one I knew frontwards and backwards and in my sleep did I commit to excercise. You can lose a lot of weight without excercise. It makes a person feel better and look better and in my case, feel mentally better, but when I can't get it in, I rely on my good old calorie counting to carry me through the day.

You can do this...anyone can. You just have to WANT to do it, more than anything else.

When it's hot, I get my dead A$$ out of bed early and hit the lawn mower when it's still bearable. When it gets super hot outside I clean my house...scrub floors, vacuum etc. If there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 07-23-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

/tough love

Two separate things:

1) Stop relying on when you feel like it to do something. You're right. It's gosh darned hot out, so schedule your workout for a cooler time of day if you don't have AC. Early in the morning. Late in the evening. It's okay to take it a little easier and drink more water. It's NOT okay to only do it when you feel like it. Because for a whole week you didn't feel like it, and that didn't get you anywhere good.

2) Stop letting one misstep lead you into more. So you didn't work out, but the very least you could've done is kept your calories in line. There are really no excuses here.

/end tough love

We all make mistakes. We all eat things we didn't really need, or skip a workout once in a while. How do we get back on? We just DO IT. There's no magic about it.

The very next meal we make healthier, the very next workout time we get up on the treadmill/put on the dvd/pick up the weights.

You can do it, too! Just do it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #8  
Struggling Member

S/C/G: 325/...../220

Height: 5' 11"

Erica remember when we were talking last month about iPod applications for C25K, and you mentioned that you might get the RunWalk app?
Well that's the one I have been using, and lately I thought, Oh I will get one of those timex ironman watches that have the multiple interval timers. And I watched some youtube videos and they show the runners listening to the interval chimes and speeding up and slowing down.
So I got one and took it with me on my morning C25K and I can't hear the watch alarms (on a quiet jogging trail, no car noise) at all! And I read some internet reviews and they said, the chimes are inaudible.
They sound loud in a closed room but I can't hear them outside.
Well anyway...
So I am back to carrying my iPod with me again.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #9  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
/tough love

Two separate things:

1) Stop relying on when you feel like it to do something. You're right. It's gosh darned hot out, so schedule your workout for a cooler time of day if you don't have AC. Early in the morning. Late in the evening. It's okay to take it a little easier and drink more water. It's NOT okay to only do it when you feel like it. Because for a whole week you didn't feel like it, and that didn't get you anywhere good.

2) Stop letting one misstep lead you into more. So you didn't work out, but the very least you could've done is kept your calories in line. There are really no excuses here.

/end tough love

We all make mistakes. We all eat things we didn't really need, or skip a workout once in a while. How do we get back on? We just DO IT. There's no magic about it.

The very next meal we make healthier, the very next workout time we get up on the treadmill/put on the dvd/pick up the weights.

You can do it, too! Just do it.
Well put. It gets easier the more you make right choices. The more you eat right, the less inclined you are to screw up your hard work with junk food. The more you work out, the more routine it is, and the less inclined you'll be to skip a day. Just get back in the routine!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 258/244.6/190

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the encouragement. I messed up, just trying to get back on the wagon. I know that I was using heat as an excuse to let myself get back to my old ways, but I know that was just an excuse. At least I can own it. Back at it tomorrow. The husband and I are going to start C25k and my summer class ended so less stress and more time. Good things are coming, right?
iamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #11  
Struggling Member

S/C/G: 325/...../220

Height: 5' 11"

Erica you are going to enjoy C25K. It's exhausting. That's a good thing. Walking is just too darn efficient to lose weight. I was up to walking 7 km daily and not even breaking a sweat. Then I started C25K and sweat like a mule. It gets easier every day and I'm glad I started.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #12  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

Now i usually like working out outside but since its been SOOOO hot outside ive been working out a lot at the gym. I also workout inside. What keeps me motivated to do it is my little cousin and my mother's children she babysits. They love to do the workouts with me so even when i don't feel like doing it they beg me like no other! lol
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
If you really want this, I mean Really, really, really want it, you will find a way. I didn't "work out" for the first 60ish pounds lost. I worked 100% on my over eating at first. Once that was under control, and I had a good solid plan in place, one I knew frontwards and backwards and in my sleep did I commit to excercise. You can lose a lot of weight without excercise. It makes a person feel better and look better and in my case, feel mentally better, but when I can't get it in, I rely on my good old calorie counting to carry me through the day.

You can do this...anyone can. You just have to WANT to do it, more than anything else.

When it's hot, I get my dead A$$ out of bed early and hit the lawn mower when it's still bearable. When it gets super hot outside I clean my house...scrub floors, vacuum etc. If there is a will, there is a way.

Agree with this 100%. One of the problems I have with the "marketing" of formal, gym-type exercise is that it seems to create this irrevocable link between exercise and weight loss. (Anyone seen those Tread Climber commercials? "Lose weight in just 20 minutes a day!"). For years, when I would attempt to lose weight, I would go gung ho w/ the exercise & dieting, and when I got burned out from going to the gym 5 days a week, I would give it up and throw in the towel on my eating, too. This time around, though, I realize that even if I cannot exercise (I still do, though), I CAN still eat right.

To the OP, one thing I've learned over the years is that consistency is key. Throughout life, we will have periods of high motivation, low motivation, no motivation. We will have breaks in our routine, major and minor life stresses, and times when we just don't feel like putting one foot in front of the other. The people who I have seen succeed are those who don't give up. They're the people who even if they have a bad day, a bad week, or a bad month, REFUSE to give up. Example: My sister has a VERY hard time losing weight. She works out more than anyone I know and harder than anyone I know ---circuit training ("bootcamp-like") w/ a personal trainer, lifting heavy, jumping rope, jogging, etc. She exercises approx. 1 1/2 hours PER DAY, at least 6 days a week. She has been doing this for three years. Only in the last few months, however, has she seen DRAMATIC changes in her body (she is getting help fr/ a nutritionist, too). She looks fantastic, and she is my role model for consistency (although I don't love exercise enough to do those kinds of workouts--LOL!). If I had been her, I must admit that I probably would have given up after the first 6 months or at least after the first year. I would have expected dramatic results even then. She didn't give up, though. She kept going and she made getting in shape her main goal rather than weight loss. Now, her persistence has paid off. Persistence, consistency almost always pays off.

Don't give up because of a week or two of bad eating. Think of it this way: If you had not started at all in May, you would have been eating poorly for two months now. Instead, though, you've been eating well for at least 7 weeks. That's pretty impressive!

Last edited by lin43; 07-25-2011 at 02:41 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #14  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Get back on track and JUST KEEP GOING! You don't want next this week/month/year to be more of what last week was. So BAM, just get back to it and don't look back!
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote