Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S/C/G --- 240/236/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Working through the pain

OK, so I was wondering how much pain is ok to tough through it, and how much to step back and
take a break and let your body heal a little. My knee started to hurt, so I got a brace and it helps,
but is slightly uncomfortable right now because with bending it rolls a bit due to my chubby leg...

I wanted to go running this AM but didn't because I didn't know if I could have seriously hurt my
knee and be down the block from my house... all alone. It is not super painful right now, but it is
something I am worried about doing serious damage to. How do I know when I can push a little
harder, or to hold back a bit?

In the work outs I do a lot of it I am on my feet, most of it actually. I use DVDs and work out at
home and only about 7min every other day I am on the floor doing presses, and flies... and lots and
lots of those stupid lunges along with jumping jacks, and jump rope. And after doing all those
jacks, and jump rope movements my feet sort of cramp up. Anyone else get this? I have super low
arches in my feet and I'm thinking that may have something to do with it.

AND I have issues with scarred tissue in my uterine area. I have been feeling slight twinges the past
couple days but I have been working out anyways.... When I get really into my work out and push hard
the pain can become so intense I walk with a limp. I know my limit on this pain... just wanted to complain
about it! lol

ETA: I also think I have Carpal Tunnel.... although I have not been officially diagnosed for it. Well, it really
sucks for my push ups.... which I do on the wall anyways bcs I can only do like 2 on the floor. Anything
for the wrist pain?

Your suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Last edited by KellyAF; 07-20-2011 at 02:12 PM.
KellyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

Definitely stay off the knee. Pushing it can lead to a serious injury that will sideline you! Jumping and running are both bad ideas. Is there any other cardio that you can do? Swimming? Stationary bike? Or can you do circuits of floor exercises like planks, push ups, crunches, tricep dips, bridges, supermans, swimmers, etc., for a minte at a time, no rest in between. That’s cardio and strength in one!

You have tiny muscles in your feet. They’re probably cramping because they’re not used to the pressure you’re putting on them. Seems normal to me. The knee thing is not normal. Nothing should be done to the point of pain. If you’re in pain you may be working too hard.
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

for wrist pain: have you tried push ups on your knuckles? so you keep the wrist straight. p/u’s against a wall are great, try to work up to doing them on ur knees on the floor.

sounds like you definitely need to build up some strength to help your joints out.
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #4  

Something that just crossed my mind... about 6 yrs ago I got in a car wreck with my brother and
sister and hit that knee on the dash board when the car behind us hit..... I really need to make an
apt to go see the Dr. It has been so long since I have been. :\

I try them on my knuckles but that hurts too... all my weight pushing on my little knuckles and pinching
the skin.... I'm a big baby WHAAAA!

Last edited by KellyAF; 07-20-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

please be very careful of your knees...my DH had knee problems for years and eventually his knee buckled under him, tearing the meniscus...he didnt let it heal properly and, just last week, had surgery to clear out the part that never healed correctly

ive been told that i have meniscus damage from playing sports but ive never had an MRI to verify that...i also cant do much jumping, lunging etc because of the impact on my knees...i enjoy yoga, pilates, bike riding, hand weights etc beyond the regular "chasing kids around all day" part of my life
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

I get those exact foot cramps and I have fallen arches as well! They stopped happening after forcing myself to keep trying for about a month. If I got a cramp, I'd stretch it out as fast as I could, then get right back to working out. In the beginning I'd have several cramps in a row but I just kept with it and made sure I got my workout minutes in. Now I can't remember the last one I've had!

If you don't know how to stretch out those food cramps, what I do is I get on both knees but with the balls of my feet still flat on the floor so that my toes are essentially pushed back at a right angle to the rest of my foot. I kneel like that, sometimes put my head on the floor in front of me to focus and relax my body, and they usually go away. They might come back quickly if you start doing the exercise again but like I said, just keep stretching them out and keep working out! I've found that running was a much better alternative to jumping rope...less ankle pain, and fewer cramps!

Last edited by mimi86; 07-20-2011 at 02:59 PM.
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #7  

I ended up doing my reg routine, and went for a run..... ok, mostly swift walk..... but my knee is good, and I feel great!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6

I modify when I can if I'm super-sore or feel a slight twinge here or there. I would stay off the knee, don't aggravate that any further IMO. And I second the push-ups on your knuckles suggestion, I do that a lot too. If it's pain that's hot or searing, that's a sign to stop. If it's just general soreness b/c you're body isn't used to something, then I push through it as much as I can. But you know you're body best, so do what you feel is right.

Case in point: My period cramps were so severe this past Monday, there was no way I was going to jog down to the park and do my HIIT cardio for 20 minutes with full-on sprinting. I was doubled over in pain so I gave into it and the next morning I did the workout instead. No big deal, just adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote