Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/128/125

Height: 5' 6"

Default Eight pounds from goal..and scared to death

Hello everyone! I am new here, I usually use fatsecret for logging and support, but there are no active maintainers there! I really want to know how I can get over this petrifying fear I have of reaching my goal, then gaining it ALL BACK. I have gained back in the past, as many others here.
I actually have been having nightmares and trouble sleeping worrying about keeping it off. I desperately want to stay at my happy weight this time.

The last time, I was using intuitive eating to maintain, which worked for a few months, then I started slipping up and slowly gained 20 pounds back. Not all the way to my top weight, but enough to be very depressing. So, although I admire intuitive eating, unfortunately, despite several tries, I can't do it long term. It also makes me anxious sometimes, not knowing for sure whether I am hungry enough to eat, or full enough to stop.

SO..that method is out. I have lost the weight as most do, counting calories. I allow treats within a certain amount of calorie range, i make sure it stays under 300 calories for any junk, and the rest must be nutritious. A big part of my problems with maintaining have been including too much junk and excluding too much fruit and veggies. So I know that is one thing that I definitely need to continue doing. The thing that has me worried is that the thought of counting calories for all eternity forever and ever AMEN is scary and daunting. I will do whatever it takes, but I want it to be fairly easy to accomplish or I may mess up.
How can I stop these fears?! I actually started stress eating worrying about maintaining so this has got to end! Can anyone help me?
Thanks so much in advance.
IntuitiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Congrats I-M! Take it easy and continue counting calories. You might want to up the exercise too. Also check out sparkpeople.com, pm me if u want more info about this. God bless dear.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #3  

WOW! You are really doing great with your dieting!

If I don't count my calories EVERY DAY I will gain weight.
I am resigned to the fact that I must document everything I eat every day with no exceptions. I use LoseIt.com

Don't fear getting to your goal.. Just make up your mind you will have to document all your food from there on out. There are maintainance threads on this site.

I expanded my gardens. I grow almost all of my own fruits and veggies now. I find I eat a lot more fruit and veggies if they come from my own garden. Not only that, I save an enormous amount of money on food every year! My grocery bill is so much less now!

And I stopped buying junk foods with empty calories.

I get a lot of exercize also. Gardening takes a lot of work and tones and strengthens my muscles. Making fruit juice and picking, washing and freezing is a lot of work...but is also a lot of exercize.

If you have a yard...turn it into a productive garden. You will feel better and eat a lot healthier if you do.

Last edited by JOLINA; 07-20-2011 at 02:49 PM.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

I'd like to suggest a book: THE END OF OVEREATING by David Kessler. In it you'll find studies that indicate how addictive some food combinations are, and why it's better to avoid some things completely. That might give you some ideas for maintenance strategies.

You may not have to count calories "forever," but you might find it's a useful tool, depending on what your maintenance plan is. I have to say, if you have been counting calories to lose, you'll probably have to count them to maintain, unless you can come up with some other way to judge how much you are eating.

The fact is, in my opinion, most people who make it to "overweight/obese" are probably never going to be "normal" with food, unless they make some big changes in how they eat. Intuitive eating is one of those things that sounds like it makes sense, but it just may not be right for someone who has been overweight/obese.

As you can see by my information, I regained after I had been maintaining for a year and a half, and now, finally, I'm making my way down again. So, I understand the struggle and fear.

Good luck! Be brave!

Edited to Add: I see by your statistics that at your high weight, you were still in the "Normal" BMI range. So, intuitive eating might work for you. But read the book! It will tell you lots!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 07-20-2011 at 04:54 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I never did get to goal - it was too low to maintain in any sane way. But I have been maintaining at a higher weight. I don't have to count calories or log my food all the time. I basically know what I should eat, how many cals there are in most of those foods, and when I've gone overboard I cut back the next couple of days. I do weigh myself : every 3rd day to make sure I'm on track.

I have an iron-clad "red line" weight. If I go over it I immediately start counting calories and logging all my food again until I am under the red-line.

Everyone's maintenance is different. You have to find out what works for you by trial and error .

Don't be afraid of it - embrace it! You are on your way to being fit and healthy for the rest of your life. Take each day of this wonderful experiment for what it is - a chance to discover and explore what is right for your body!
Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Hi! I've been a maintainer now for a little over a month, but being here on 3FC for my weight loss has prepared me in many ways, I think, for what maintenance will probably look like for me. Basically, it's the same as it was before, with a few more calories.

I understand your anxiety. The statistics that people insist on quoting all the time don't help! I'd like to suggest another book, Thin for Life by Anne Fletcher. I read it about halfway through my weight loss, and found it very reassuring. She talks with long-term maintainers, looks at research, and in general makes it easier to see that, although the regain statistics are grim, there ARE long-term maintainers out there. I plan on being one of them (knock on wood).
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/128/125

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks so much for all the advice and the book reviews. I don't know how I am going to handle maintenance this time, but I know I will be here A LOT!!
It helps so much just to be able to talk to other people on maintenance.
I am determined to make this work! I am going to get those books as well, I can use all the help I can get. I need to stop worrying and just focus on getting there for now. Easier said than done, but I'll try..
Thanks again!
IntuitiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I can really understand your fears because I have them as well. I think I'll have to count calories for the rest of my life, but once I reach my goal, I may try to give myself 1 day off per week for a while and see how that goes. If I can still maintain, I may even give myself 2 days off per week. For me, I think it's important to weigh daily in order to keep myself accountable. I still have never been able to maintain, but I'm going to do my best this time around.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #9  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveMe View Post
I can use all the help I can get.
I need to stop worrying and just focus on getting there for now.
Easier said than done, but I'll try..
I'm in my 6th year of maintenance.
At this point it is necessary for me to eat in maintenance a bit less than I did during weight-loss.
I find there's only one way to keep from regaining my weight,
and that is total committment to do whatever it takes one-day-at-a-time.
I'm not AFRAID of regaining, but I am AWARE of the reality of that possibility.
If you think it would be helpful to you,
you are welcome to join me at my .com recreational website, DietHobby,
where I write articles, post recipes, and inspirational videos.

Last edited by Bright Angel; 07-21-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote