Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #1  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Default Amusement park humiliation

My fiance had free amusement park tickets from his work for a picnic. We had plans that day, but decided to go for a few hours at night. On our third ride - I didn't fit, the lap bar could not go down as I carry most of my weight in my stomach area, and the park attendant completely humiliated me infront of everyone about not fitting. After that, I was terrified to go on another ride and was sobbing uncontrollably - something I don't think in the 5 years my fiance has known me he has ever seen. I think that was the first time since 5th or 6th grade I truly felt FAT. The scale and my clothes sizes tell me I'm big, but I've always managed to be confidant and feel good about myself 90% of the time.

I had been living relatively free of depression for several years now, but this incident made me feel like all my progress was reversed. I haven't felt like getting out of bed for days. I don't want to hear "oooh use this as motivation to lose weight". It's not motivation, it was nothing but pure humilitation. And I felt horrible for having to make my fiance go home. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with something like this....
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I'm very sorry that the attendant made matters worse by calling attention to the problem in a public way.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/169

Height: 5'7"

OMG! This happened to me a few weeks ago. The first ride, I TOTALLY squeezed in, (the attendant pushed and poke and prodded my fat until it all fit) but the second ride i couldnt, my belly fat was too much. the attendant said "due to the safety requirements of this ride, we are unable to accomodate you" in a robotic tone with that you-knew-you-were-too-fat-why-did-you-even-try look on her face.
i skulked off with my head down and my hubby tried his best to console me, but i was terrified to try another ride after that...we spent the day walking the park and playing games and talking and cuddling. he was very understanding. my goal is to go back to that ride before the end of the summer and RIDE IT!
Just keep working on yourself and use this horrific experience as motivation, not a deterrent...you can do it!
mystyblue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #4  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Aw, sympathy. That's awful. Is your fiance being kind with you?

How's about you let yourself have a few days to feel miserable and depressed and then on Tuesday (or whenever) you get yourself out of bed, brush your hair and take yourself out to do something productive and which will make you feel better about yourself.

Don't let some ignorant jerk derail you and your sense of self! (Or at least, don't let it happen for more than a couple of days!)
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #5  
Pink Leopard Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystyblue85 View Post
OMG! This happened to me a few weeks ago. The first ride, I TOTALLY squeezed in, (the attendant pushed and poke and prodded my fat until it all fit) but the second ride i couldnt, my belly fat was too much. the attendant said "due to the safety requirements of this ride, we are unable to accomodate you" in a robotic tone with that you-knew-you-were-too-fat-why-did-you-even-try look on her face.
i skulked off with my head down and my hubby tried his best to console me, but i was terrified to try another ride after that...we spent the day walking the park and playing games and talking and cuddling. he was very understanding. my goal is to go back to that ride before the end of the summer and RIDE IT!
Just keep working on yourself and use this horrific experience as motivation, not a deterrent...you can do it!
Sounds like your husband is as good as my fiance was!!! I'm glad there are people who understands how mortifying it is. I am so thankful I was just there with him and no one else, and that he was perfectly fine with leaving and doing somethign else. I was pretty inconsolable. I've never had issues fitting into rides, sure it's been uncomfortable (have had my fat proded and squished before to get in) , but I've always been fine. In hindsight, there were plenty of rides (log ride, etc) that don't have restraints that would suffocate me we could have gone on - but at the time, I was inconslable and just needed to leave before I broke down.

I do plan on getting over it and getting back on the wagon, but for now, I'm just knocked down a few pegs. I also had my bachelorette party the other night, and my friends asked some guys to come over and dance with me. A pity dance for the fat girl, it happened all night... so my ego was already bruised... didn't need it to be honest, I have my man and didn't need to have some guys pretend to want to dance with me.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 277/269/145

Height: 5'7"

bless your heart.....I can really feel for you. How about trying to get into a skinny bathroom stall....where you can hardly turn around and shut the door? lol.....really not so funny but has happened to me more than once...and you KNOW people notice....
betharooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #7  
Pink Leopard Power

Betharooni... been there... one time the toliet was sort of off center and I bruised myself dearly on the thigh smacking against the TP dispenser. Though I could laugh at that one!! I always go for the handicap anyways....
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 6"

Default Horse ride blues..

I don't like the fast roller coaster type rides... but I have always loved horses and riding on them....- as a kid I rode horses all summer and have so much fun..
Then into my 30s and 40s when taking my kids on a summer vacation to the Smokey Mts.. we planned for many months and looking forward to taking a long horse trek.. Well, when we arrived, the guide looked at me and pulled me aside and said that there was a limit of 250 lbs.. and asked if I was over that limit.. of course I was, so I had to stay behind and watch others leave without me... Some people were asking "Why are you not going with your children"? This was a "wake up" call. I plan on going back and ride that horse someday!

Lisa

Last edited by Lisa532; 07-28-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Lisa532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm really sorry that happened -- theme park rides are rough regardless of your size. I was at a theme park water ride with my ex-boyfriend, and we were getting settled into a two-person tube to go down this slide and I was in the front. The guy running the ride said something along the lines of -- "the person who weighs more needs to be in back." At the time there was probably a 10 lb difference between myself and the man-friend (I was 195, he was probably 185-190) but I was mortified that the ride operator would imply that I was heavier than he was -- especially since my man-friend (like all guys) had no real idea of what I weighed.

It put a huge damper on the day, I'm going back in a couple weeks, 30 lbs lighter -- so there's that. Let's just say that tact is not their strong suit across the board.
InsidetheBeltway is offline   Reply With Quote