South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default supplement with potassium?

When I did Atkins years ago, it was recommended to supplement with potassium since induction and maybe beyond might be insufficient in that particular mineral. I haven't heard the same about SB, but lately every time I go to the dr. my blood pressure is about 10 points higher on either end (from 117/70 to 126/85). I've made no other changes in my diet/lifestyle other than positive ones and my blood pressure was always on the low side my entire life so far. I haven't had leg cramps or anything like that which would be physical symptoms of a potassium deficiency. But the increase in my bp is consistent with starting the SB way of living. I do have bloodwork coming up that will test for a vitamin D deficiency - is it possible to test for a potassium deficiency? Or any other thoughts as to whether this could be connected to SB? I know the increase is not radical, but a steady increase in bp is not something I want to be complacent about.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

If they do a routine blood chemistry test called a basic metabolic profile (bmp) it wil give you your potassium level, along with a few other analytes like glucose and some enzymes related to your liver and kidneys. They can also just test your electrolytes which are sodium and potassium, but a bmp will give more info. Did your doctor seem concerned about your blood pressure? did they think it had something to do with your potassium or are you guessing?
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #3  

No he wasn't worried, it's just that I'm obsessed with my health/blood stats so I monitor all these things closely. It's the change that I am curious about, rather than the number (although these days "they" say anything over 120/80 is cause for concern).
Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 161/133.8/135

Height: 5'6"

My blood pressure was high when I started SDB. Usually around 144/85, it's one of the reasons I decided to lose the excess 20lbs. With SBD its has dropped to the 130's/low 80's. I am not retaining water like I used to on a high carb diet so I am sure that has helped. However I had real fatigue for months since starting and from my reading I assume it was from low potassium. Recently I have started having an avocado almost every day, using morton lite salt (potassium) and on occasion drinking V8 juice (lots of potassium). As much of the literature suggests I have also started taking 100 mg of CQ10 per day. I do feel much better.
nanjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #5  

I do take CQ10 but maybe I will try that potassium salt and I really do salt my food a lot.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

Also, sodium and potassium have an inverse relationship... So when ones goes up the other goes down. So I would think increasing salt would decrease potassium?
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote