Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #1  
89lbs going, going...

S/C/G: 221/221/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Calorie counting App or website

I did look through the FAQ and sticky threads so forgive me if this has already been asked.

I am a new calorie counter (I can't really do a diet plan other than calorie counting because we travel so much and last time I checked 7-11's don't carry zone diet meals) and I need a way to log my calories that is easy and fast.

Could anyone please recommend a good website or app that will let me log my calories on the go. Ideally a website that has an app so I can sync them together.

My BF suggested I just buy a calorie counting book but I try to go as paperless as possible, less stuff to lug around.

If you don't use a website, how do you log your calories, in an excel spreadsheet? Im trying to figure out the easiest way to format this so it is fast, then I will actually track stuff!
chubbycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #2  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

I use myfitnesspal, I have a droid phone and you can find the website on line and the app in your market app.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I use caloriecount.about.com It's a pretty useful site.
I used to have a few apps on my old phone. I didn't really use them much. I can't really remember names of them.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I don't count calories anymore, but while I did I used about twenty different methods, so here are some suggestions

Sparkpeople.com, a lot of people love this one, it is totally free and has a great database

loseit.com, they also have an iphone app that is really good

fitday.com, another one that I know a lot of people use, I didn't use this one for too long but it is still great (and free)

myfooddiary.com, not free but the calorie counting website I used for the longest amount of time.

I can't remember the other names at the moment, but if/when I do, I will add them if you are still looking for more options!!
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #5  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm with michelle1210 on this one. www.myfitnesspal.com has the best website so far and has an amazing app too.

I used to use calorie count but their app wasnt fantastic for entering and logging weight info...

Good luck!! If you need any help with it let me know i'd be glad to help you!
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #6  
Weight Watcher

S/C/G: 244/199/140

Height: 5"5

I have both lose it! and the Sparkpeople app. Spark people has a website and the app sync. I use them both but right now I really love spark people. I also tracks excersie, sets goals, and even has a pie chart to tell you where the majority of your calories are coming from. It also has an estimated BMR and tailors your workout/excersie to show what YOUR burning not an average.

I'm on the iPhone if that matters! Both are free
WannaBaSkinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #7  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

The IPhone App, LoseIt, super easy & on the go.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #8  
Healthier, happier ME

S/C/G: 261/261/160

I have used a couple different sites now, spark people was ok, but I find myfitnesspal very easy to use. It has a clean, uncluttered interface and a great database that is easy to add to if you can't find the exact thing you are looking for.

Good luck!
QuillysQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/183/135

Height: 5' 8"

For Droid - "Calorie Counter by FatSecret" is great! You can scan barcodes of products you eat and it has it in the database. It also has a great database of restaurant food items. Definitely recommend it, and it's free!
lilbrink13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #10  
mya

Height: 5'4"

I use the FatSecret Calorie Counter on my Android phone too. The restaurant database is awesome, I always look for the nutrition information there when I'm eating out. I love that I can use my phone, it's small and easy to take to the kitchen, I log my food while I'm cooking it.
mya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #11  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

Can't offer you anything that hasn't already been stated, but I personally use sparkpeople and they have an app for my iPad and I love love love it.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

myfitnesspal.com (And the corresponding app) is by far the best I've found. They have the most comprehensive food database I've come across (including every grocery store brand, wal-mart & target brands, and even recipes from my favorite recipe sites and books). I also love that when you complete your diary for the day, it tells you, "If you ate like this every day in 5 weeks you would weigh xxx.xx." It's really motivating.

Also, you can friend people like on FB, and share your food diary with people (if you wish). There's also a fairly active forum there.

This is after trying (and giving up on) Livestrong, sparkpeople, fitday, and LoseIt.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #13  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I've looked at SparkPeople before replying to this thread because I saw so many enthousiastic replies. I've been using FatSecret's calorie counter but am open to new things.

However, given that I'm in the Netherlands I use different measurements and also the foods here are processed differently from a lot of US products. What I love about FatSecret is that (atleast on the ipad version) they actually have plenty of dutch brand names, so you can also select foods eaten bij brand. Also you can add the barscan code and oftentimes it has the product in system. The sync with the website or other devices doesn't work so well yet though. But other than that it's great!

Last edited by philana; 07-08-2011 at 07:15 AM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #14  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

i use Lose It on Iphone! its amazing! : )
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 302/264/155

Height: 5'5

I am new to this too. I am a little worried that counting calories will take up too much time or be hard if I am not near the computer. I don't want to carry a book around everywhere either. I don't know exactly where I need to start but this thread has given me some great places to look at.
IrishKat is offline   Reply With Quote