Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 12:27 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking BFL/BB #85 - week of 13 Jan 2003

Hey there everybuddy!!!

Hope everyone is having a great Monday...thought it was high time to start a new thread. WOW 96 posts on last week's thread. Have we been busy or what?!?

Got my eats all planned for this week - cottage cheese was on sale at Safeway so when I made my menu I emphasized it a lot. Great thing about Trainers Edge - I can check the Safeway sale adverts (on their website) see what's on sale and plan accordingly. I could probably live on cottage cheese and eggwhites!

Gotta make this short because I have a ton of work to do as usual. More later...
Old 01-13-2003, 01:34 PM   #2  

Default hello Karen and all fellow campers !!!

i sure do hope this day is being good to you !!

it's the end of the day for us here, already 8pm. now it's time to just unwind with a bit of t.v. and then to bed a bit early tonight. i'm going to really take my "rest days" to the max this time around........ give my body plenty of recovery time on that day off.

i don't do a free meal during the week. i really like eating what i eat and i don't feel any kind of deprevation. i DO vary my calories throughout the week, two days low, two days high, or a variation thereof.

after so many years of eating really bad, eating whatever i wanted to and endangering my health, it feels sooooo good to eat good and clean, healthy food that makes my body strong and alive again!! i'm not taking any more chances with my health and reverting back to icky foods!!

i had a great legs workout today. i must say those leg presses are something else :-) not complaining here. then it was 30 minutes of INTENSE treadmill. i've finally gotten back to my pre-flu intensity.

Karen - i also LOVE cottage cheese. we have a 1.5% cottage cheese here that is soooo delicious. we don't have completely fat free cottage cheese though. but that doesn't matter. i love it straight out of the container. i very rarely mix it with anything either. good think i love it so much because it really takes away all cravings i would otherwise have for cheeses!!

okay, enough for now. time to go rest after being on the computer all day long. at least i got tons of work done .

take care everyone. see you when i see you,

adriana
Old 01-13-2003, 02:32 PM   #3  

WOW, 96 is a ton o posts!

Adriana - I feel the same way you do. Eating like crap for years and never giving a second thought to my health has gotten me in the mess I'm in right now. But, I am going to have the doctors all standing there with mouths agape at my 8 week test results! I love eating clean and working out. Did legs today! And am now 'suffering' NSL (noodle leg syndrom! ) And am loving every single second of it!

Karen - I loves me some cottage cheese too! My brand is Lurcern (Safeway) 2%. The FF has too much sugar for me and I like the taste better. I can live on the stuff too. I was eating it at a meeting along with some granny smith apples and another agent asked me what it was. I told her whipped cottage cheese, and apples, never thinking of all the other stuff I put in like vanilla, cinnamon, Splenda. She called me and said "I tried that cottage cheese stuff you were eating and it's nasty! So, I 'splained the entire recipe and we are now on speaking terms!
Do you have any polo out there in your neck o the woods? Also, I saw in a previous post, you graduated in '81. I did as well. You must be comin' up on the big 40! It's my turn on 6/12. Got six months! Oh, and another thing. Are you a former McDonald's worker too? Or, am I just breathing too many bus fumes?

It's looking like a GREAT week!
Old 01-13-2003, 04:43 PM   #4  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Niffer: I worked for McDonald's or Macca's as it is know in Australia. It's a great place to work when you are a teenager, it makes you humble.

Karen: I just got back into cottage cheese after a layoff from too much of it. I had it yesterday with fresh blueberries and strawberries and splenda and cinnamon of course. It was sooo delicious. I tried out the brownies recipe from Pam last night as well but used hazelnuts instead of walnuts and it was pretty good. I only had a small piece though because from the batch I made which was meant to be 2 serves only was way too big for me. So I ate a piece which was a 1/4 of the whole thing. Hubby had it too and said it was yummy.

I thinkk that it IS going to be a great week this week! It's Tuesday here already and I am getting loads of work done so far!

Mel : check in.

Hi to everyone else!

JC
Old 01-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #5  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Karen: With the trainer's edge software can you add in your own foods to the database??

JC
Old 01-13-2003, 06:30 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Talking Hey Girls!

I'm really good today....I didn't work and had lots of time to putter around the house and finish off some undone housework....

I have a Q for everyone.... Just for discussion... here goes:

We all enjoy eating clean, we all feel better, we all agree on that I think.... Why, oh why then do we revert back to our old habits every once in a while? Emotions?... boredom?.... And when we are bored or emotional, why do we not eat our delicious cottage cheese which we all love lately?.... Just a Q for the day....

To answer that question myself, I'm not sure but I sometimes think it's just a habit of not thinking and grabbing whatever is there that's easy... So I guess that's why we have to plan ahead for a while till this lifestyle gets second nature...

Today I have been hungry like every hour... but I managed to wait it out to two hours though...and tonite I had extra protein than usual so maybe that will hold me for the next 3 hours... this maybe answers my Q for the day maybe I was bored, but I did make the right choices...drank water ate extra good protein for supper...

Yesterday I did a LBWO with an old WO buddy, this girl introduced me to weight training 18 years ago, at the time we were only 3-4 girls in the gym... This girl is so awesome... she works out constantly in the summer bikes 50K/day... cute little thing too and she works, of all places, in the court room, she brings the prisoners from the cell to the court room...She's not 5' I don't think.... Anyways, my point is that my upper calves behind my knees are killing me today...I LOVE IT.... NOODLE LEG SYNDROM ( I like that one Niffer) ....What we also did afterwards is go into the steam room for 10 minutes... OMG that was so nice... I had never done it before, too shy to go in alone, the gym just had it put in... then we showered... I had the rosiest cheeks for the rest of the day!!

Well, I am babbling so before I bore the heck out of everyone I will leave....

Have a good evening everyone.....
Old 01-13-2003, 06:36 PM   #7  

Cough Up Said Brownie Recipe

OK, I saw ya post at L&S about brownies and now this. Is it a recipe Pam does for CPB? Or can ya share?

Pleeeeeeeeeze oh pleeeeeeeeeze
Old 01-13-2003, 06:41 PM   #8  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Lana: Today I have been starving as well for some reason.

They say that it takes 21 days to form a new habit but 210 days to get rid of the old one. I think that there is some merit in that because during my first few challenges I would revert back on free days. Now I am scouring for food to eat every few hours on free days and only eat small portions of things. I also don't buy big portions anymore either.

Sometimes I think that when you are exhausted and start to fall back into your old patterns you need a break. I will be totally honest here and say that my breaks have lasted from one day to 4 weeks. I don't regret taking the time off because I believe that rest is very important ESP if you work out hard all the time. Sometimes it is 2 steps forward and one step back. As long as you always get back to where you want to be (albeit eventually) you will make progress. I have been mentally ready to take on the next challenge but not physically. When that happened I just started researching and reading again to occupy my mind while my body rested. I can't stress enough that it is important to continue to read and learn about things - I think that is the only reason why I have strived for so long.

Anyway enough rambling!! Just my 2 pennies

JC
Old 01-13-2003, 06:43 PM   #9  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Post hang on.....

Niffer: um let me check where I got it from and get back to you in a few minutes.....

JC
Old 01-13-2003, 06:48 PM   #10  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Niffer: Sorry but it was from the CPB board so I guess it's restricted at this point until Pam offers it up for grabs. I will put in a good work for ya though!

JC
Old 01-13-2003, 07:00 PM   #11  
JEC
Aussie and proud

oh Lenore got permission so here it is....

Pam's Yummy Protein Brownies

4 egg whites
1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Splenda
2 tsp butter buds
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
2 servings protein powder (to equal 50 g of protein)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Beat egg whites in small bowl. Gradually add Splenda and vanilla extract; beat well. Blend in cottage cheese and butter buds. Combine oatmeal, cocoa, protein powder, baking powder, and salt. Blend in blender (or with hand blender) until cottage cheese curds are gone. Stir in walnuts. Spread in a Pam sprayed tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes.

This pan of brownies would be approximately 2 servings for me.

Here's the nutrition info per serving:
W/out nuts: cal = 268, p= 42g, c= 21g, f= 2g
with nuts: cal = 432, p= 46g, c= 24g, f= 18g
Old 01-13-2003, 09:23 PM   #12  

JC yer the best!

It's over at L&S too. Thanks. Can't wait to make them.

Susie
Old 01-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #13  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Angry

JC
Old 01-14-2003, 12:48 AM   #14  

Default it's already tuesday!!!

where is this week running off to?? don't forget that we start out week on sunday -- that's why i'm freaking out here

Lana -- it's an interesting issue that you have brought up here. i agree that it has to do partly with *old habits*, but i'm not sure that's all of it. i tend to agree with JEC's analysis of the situation.

for me, the few times that i've really just *wigged* out with my nutrition in the past few months has been when i'm utterly exhausted. even if i've planned something great, have all the ingredients for a fantastic meal, if i reach that level of exhaustion (for whatever reason) then i mess up big time because it's just easier to make the silly sandwich or have a bowl of cereal.

i've been concentrating these past few months to not get to that level of exhaustion, for various reasons. i can't workout properly when i'm so tired, i can't eat properly either and sometimes sleep is even harder too !!

now, i have a question for everyone -- what's with the splenda?? what is it exactly? we don't have it here........ so i just don't understand what it is.

i use a sugar substitute only in my oatmeal, everything else is a'naturale. i guess that's one of the reasons why i'm not into baking any of the approved bfl stuff....... too much is needed to have it *taste* good.

well, today is a rest day for me, and i'm going to rest . i've worked out hard for 6 days straight and now it's time to give my body the rest it deserves. no free day for me with food though; *free days* just don't agree with me. i'm much happier eating my clean food all the time.

hope you all have a great tuesday !!!

see you later,

adriana (i DO feel like this big grin !!!)
Old 01-14-2003, 05:00 AM   #15  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Adriana: Splenda is like Equal it is a sugar substitute but it works spoon for spoon in measurements. Apparently it isn't cheap in the US but here in Australia is about the same price as equal so I don't notice a difference. You can use it for anything including baking as it can handle heat where as equal can't.

HTH

JC
Closed Thread