Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/165

Height: 5'11"

Default Question about fat arms?

I couldn't seem to find a post about this, maybe I missed one (I'm sorry if I did). I have REALLY fat arms, I always have, it's annoying and I hope losing weight this time makes them stop being so fat. I'd like to be able to wear dresses this summer and all of the ones that I've seen and liked have either been strapless or they have spaghetti/thin straps or cap sleeves, I don't know what to wear over top of a dress that won't look ridiculous. Cardigans just don't go well with certain dresses.
LemonZest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

How about a shrug or bolero, I've seen a few that cover the tops of your arms, and hide the worst parts. I'm slowly becoming an expert as I'm in the same boat, my issue is that my arms and thighs are the last parts of me to lose weight so they remain huge in comparison to my small upper body until the last minute.
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

I agree with Isobel-- shrugs or boleros. I've found my "new" style lately. I wear tanks layered with cardigans, little jackets, shrugs, etc. I love the versatility, and this works great with dresses, too! I have several cute tops and dresses that are sleeveless, and like you, won't wear that in public without covering my arms, at least the top half of my upper arms.
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #4  
Fattie for the Win!

S/C/G: 270/232/140

Height: 5'4"

There are lots of great shrug/bolero options out there to suit the different kinds of dresses you'll be wearing. I'm a dress ADDICT- they're all I wear in the summer, but I have really fat arms, too. One website I use for shrug shopping is onestopplus.com - they pull clothes from all the plus size websites into one big one, so it makes it easier to find what you're looking for. They don't always include everything, though, so make sure you check places like Ashley Stewart and Lane Bryant. And be sure to check retailmenot.com before buying anything to see if there's a coupon you can use.

Hope this helps!
MagdalenaRaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #5  
Herbivore :)

S/C/G: 276/146/129

Height: 5'3.5

I have chubby arms too. I find that I have to stick to the cardigans BUT I have noticed a change since I started losing weight. I don't know where you're at but I am sure that as the weight begins to disappear slender arms will begin to come forth...be a little patient...gratification will come.
Rubiehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #6  

Thanks so much for the tips! I never considered putting a bolero over top of a dress and I think it'd look great with some of the dresses I was thinking of. It's nice to know some other people have the same problem as me, basically all of my friends have these skinny little arms regardless of what weight they're at--the way my body loses weight I look like a peanut.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

You didn't ask this but I'll post anyway.

I have always had grotesquely huge arms - disproportionately so. I got down to a size 12/14 late 2009 and everything I bought had to be long or 3/4-length sleeves just to cover my arms up. Elbows down - OK. Elbows up - disgusting. I mean, really. Jiggly, floppy, even had a flap of skin that came down on the inside. They just looked terrible and I was really disappointed.

Fast forward - gained +/- 50 lbs back over 2010-2011 and have now lost all that plus some more. And...my arms look FANTASTIC! They aren't 100% Michelle Obama yet, but they will be very soon.

I started lifting heavy free weights - really heavy. Started at 20 lbs, progressed up to 25, then 30, 35, now 40. I can only do bicep curls and one-arm rows with the 40s but I'm working on more. My biceps, triceps and delts (and incidentally pecs - a free, mini boob job!) are very noticeable and as the flab shrinks daily, my skin tightens up and you can totally see my awesome arm definition.

It's not unladylike - I don't look like a Russian weightlifter. My arms look firmer, way more toned, and feel great. I don't feel like a freak in shorter sleeves and the day is coming soon when I will wear tank tops.

If you can, go find some heavy free weights and lift them, if you want fabulous arms. You can do a lot in a very short period. I go by "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" available at your local bookstore. This is WAY better than declining to be in a cousin's wedding because they were wearing strapless dresses a few years ago!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

DCHound is right. My upper body is fabulous thanks to Jillian Michael's on an every other day basis. I started with the 30 day shred video, then went on to the Quick Trouble Zones workout, now I am doing the Ripped in 30 series with her. My upper body looks better than when I was a teenager. This is a circuit training/cardio/abs combo, and I started just by using 3lb weights, and have since worked my way up.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #9  

Thanks ladies. I've been trying to do weights for the last month, I can't tell if it's helping yet but I'm not willing to stop because I hate my gross arms. I'm only on 10 pound weights right now, but it's been getting easy enough that I think I'll step it up pretty soon.

How long did it take for you to really notice results?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #10  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I have gelatinous gigantic flabby arms. I still go sleeveless or tank style. I'll wear a shrug in the office because of the 30-40* temp difference between inside and outside.

After living in the desert for 5 years, I've become apathetic about it. I'm sure some people's sensibilities are offended. Don't care. It's 115*, and if my flabby arms are upsetting you, tough. I'm not wrapping up and sweating like a hog for your benefit.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 143/no idea/120-110

Height: 5'2'' (and a half)

I've been wanting to lift weights for ages but I'm too embarrassed to go and lift weights at the gym because I know that I will look stupid as I cannot lift that much. Even though I am pretty strong for a girl.
TheManekiNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/191

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Sunrises View Post
I have gelatinous gigantic flabby arms. I still go sleeveless or tank style. I'll wear a shrug in the office because of the 30-40* temp difference between inside and outside.

After living in the desert for 5 years, I've become apathetic about it. I'm sure some people's sensibilities are offended. Don't care. It's 115*, and if my flabby arms are upsetting you, tough. I'm not wrapping up and sweating like a hog for your benefit.
I concur! (And I also live in the desert-- PHX!)
This year I decided I wasn't going to let my flabby arms keep me from being comfortable. I invested in a bunch of tank tops and sleeveless dresses and I am soooooo happy about it! It's so liberating!
Be proud of your body!!!
1049jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #13  
Green Tara

S/C/G: 196/175/130

Height: 5'1

The way I chose to manage to "hide" my fat arms was actually by making them more obvious. I got both upper arms completely tattooed! They look like beautiful works of art!! Since then I don't feel bad about showing them off. People stop to admire them all the time : ) (but I'm still working on toning them!
calmeida5018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #14  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

My arms have always been nasty looking. So chubby... actually, one of the things I HATE most about my body.

Lately... they are slimming down! I'm also building muscle in them and I noticed it the other day when I lifted a box in storage. I couldn't stop flexing my muscles after that... I was like... "Damn! Are these MY arms?!"

I still have so many cover overs, shalls, blouses, anything to cover them, but I think I'll invest in some strapless clothes one day!
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

You could wear a little bolero type jacket. Here's a photo of one of mine that came with a dress I bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (26.3 KB, 34 views)
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote