Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #1  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Question What made you make the decision to have WLS?

Hi all. I have not had surgery, but am thinking about it. I've been trying to lose weight for years, but have not had success. I decided a week ago to give trying on my own another 6 months, and then if I haven't lost some weight, I will talk to my GP about surgery. I am wondering if I am wasting time, when do I know when "enough is enough" with the efforts, and when I should give in and do surgery? When did you decide enough was enough?

Thanks,
Chris
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

when i was unable to walk or function. just before i spent 5 weeks in the hospital and 3 weeks in a nursing home
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #3  
Future Wonder Woman

Wow, Jiffy. That is rough, that would convince me too! Now I'm wondering if I am giving in too soon (i haven't made the decision, but even thinking about it?).
Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I tried everything....I dieted for months...then weeks..then days....then hours....then gave up entirely. WLS was my last resort. After I started research on it, I realized that it wasn't the quick fix, magic bullet I thought it was, that I would still have to diet and exercise but would have a tool that would put the warfare advantage back in my playing field.

The choice to have surgery was a drastic one but a decision I do not regret or would do differently.

Talk to your GP and do the 6 month supervised diet, it is something that most surgeons and insurance companies require before WLS anyway. Maybe that is all you need to get the advantage back on your side.

Good Luck Chris and get to reading everything you can on the subject. An educated decision is the best decision.

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #5  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Well I personally am glad I did this before I got to the unable to walk/move stage. At 324 lbs-I had trouble being on my feet for more than short stretches of time as it was. I dieted for 30 years and had finally given up on dieting since I always regained the weight I lost plus more. I just wish I'd had the surgery sooner.

It's all about being able to live/enjoy life. I'm still an early post-op (almost 6 mos) and feel a million times better than before. Can't wait to get under 200lbs!
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #6  

Hi What decided me was a bad back yrs of problems with my health,wt like a yo yo.diabetes high blood pressure bad colesteral but the final thing was back surg that didnt work,spinal cord inj that left my legs paralyzed from the knees down,my surg site wouldnt heal.6 months in hosp and i couldnt even get out of bed,diapers ivs and they were going to put me in a nursing home. i was only 60. and i said no way. i begged for rehab and to give me a chance.and they did.but i got mersa from my long hosp stay. more ivs and pick lines but i did every thing the rehab folks told me too.and i learned to walk again with a walker and eventially i made it home with nursing care ivs and a ton of equipment. i gained 70 more # in ayr and i was so tired of being sick and handicapped so i had the surg. ive lost almost100# and i can stay at home bymyself,can bathe myself, do my crafts,get in and out of a car im mobile inspite of my handicap and im happy. dont wait like i did till yout health is shot all becuz of weight issues. im so glad i did this. it still a daily thing,just a tool but its working for me. ive come so far that failure is not an option for me. i choose life.i no longer take diabetes or colesteral meds, i exercise and took up boxing. I cant advice u what to do but for me the surg changed my life. i fought for myself for the first time in my life. thats my story ,hope it helps you. rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 06-29-2011 at 06:39 PM.
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #7  

I am pre-op and in the early stages of that even. But I'm a parent of a 4 year old. I have dieted nearly my whole life, and while I have been mildly successful at times, it's never stuck. And I decided that there might be something to that saying about the definition of insanity being "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." It was time for something different. So here I am, nearly a month into my first of six months of supervised weight loss in prep for surgery.

I'm tired of not being able to play with my daughter, not being able to comfortably sit on the floor without bruising my knees, not being able to go on carnival rides with her, etc. I want to live life with my daughter, and right now I feel like I can't. That's not fair to either of us!
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #8  
Future Wonder Woman

Thanks, everyone, for your stories about how you decided. Yes, Rosey, your story did help. Jen (btw, that baby of yours is ridiculously adorable!), the definition of insanity--- that's how I feel, I've been trying to lose weight since 2000 at least. I did lose 30 lbs on Weight Watchers recently, but gained it back. Now, I am back on WW and trying but if I don't lose a good amount of weight in 6 mths, I'm doing surgery!